SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Just having a few isn't a big deal. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/370937-just-having-few-isnt-big-deal.html)

ScottFromWI 07-05-2015 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by thomas11 (Post 5452302)
So I have a question for you guys that suggest dumping it. It has been said over and over on this site that the solution to sobriety is simple: don't drink. Its not easy, but its simple. And I agree. So what is the difference whether I am sitting in the center isle of a liquor store, or in the sahara desert? Nothing, its still the same solution....don't drink. Right?

Having alcohol in your house is an unnecessary temptation. Can you name one good reason to keep it around?

CaseyW 07-05-2015 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by thomas11 (Post 5453735)
But at the same time, I am not where you are (in complete 100% sobriety) so the advice others have suggested, which is to get it out of the house because that may be just enough time for me to change my mind, is a good idea. So that's that.

Glad you decided to lose the booze from the house, Jeff. Wishing you a safe and sober rest of your night...

thomas11 07-05-2015 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI (Post 5453742)
Having alcohol in your house is an unnecessary temptation. Can you name one good reason to keep it around?

No, I cannot. I could probably think of a reason if I thought about it long enough, but definitely not a GOOD reason, and that was your question.

thomas11 07-05-2015 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by CaseyW (Post 5453750)
Glad you decided to lose the booze from the house, Jeff. Wishing you a safe and sober rest of your night...

Thanks Casey, no worries man (or woman)? I'm safe and sound, just up late. No work tomorrow and not tired, so I'm here on SR and watching a NASCAR race at Daytona that did not start until 10:30....crazy.

DayTrader 07-05-2015 10:20 PM

I get that having alcohol around is a problem for some ppl it is, especially early in recovery, but as a recovered alkie alcohol hasn't been a problem for me for a long time. (that said, alcoholism still can be a problem and that problem can manifest itself a lot more cleverly than just by getting me to pick up a drink).

I've never tried to hide myself from booze. Those actions seemed silly to me because no matter what I do, getting a drink would never be all that difficult and, sooner or later, I'm going to have to face my demons.

CaseyW 07-05-2015 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by thomas11 (Post 5453766)
Thanks Casey, no worries man (or woman)?

Man.

Dee74 07-05-2015 10:34 PM

This is the Newcomers forum so I try to speak to that audience :)

It's not about hiding from booze..it was about recognising I had to make some real changes and put clear daylight between the life I wanted and the life I had been living.

I liken it to weight training and building up my 'sober muscles'.

Probably something like 'spiritual muscles' too, I guess? :)

D

wpainterw 07-06-2015 07:16 AM

Hello Thomas! Who's on the line? Am I talking to the "Thomas AV" or to the other "Thomas" who should be telling the Thomas AV to take a hike? Hello! Hello? Who's there? Who's on the line?

W.

ccam1973 07-06-2015 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI (Post 5453742)

I agree. It is just an unnecessary temptation. It's easier to pick up if you have it around the house. If you are trying to quit then there is no reason to have that temptation where it is accessible any more than necessary. It does get easier to deal with that temptation over time, but early on I would suggest getting rid of the booze.

thomas11 07-06-2015 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by wpainterw (Post 5454073)
Hello Thomas! Who's on the line? Am I talking to the "Thomas AV" or to the other "Thomas" who should be telling the Thomas AV to take a hike? Hello! Hello? Who's there? Who's on the line?

W.

Haven't drank in 40 some days, so you are usually talking to Thomas, possibly Thomas AV on occasion. Both are sober. one just has more of an attitude problem than the other.

ccam1973 07-06-2015 02:36 PM

Great job on 40 + days T!

thomas11 07-06-2015 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by CaseyW (Post 5453774)
Man.

I will add that to your file. haha

PurpleKnight 07-07-2015 10:06 AM

Great job on 40 Days Jeff!! :scoregood

SoberLeigh 07-07-2015 10:18 AM

Great job on 40 days, thomas, and on dumping the alcohol!!!!!

wpainterw 07-07-2015 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by thomas11 (Post 5454644)
Haven't drank in 40 some days, so you are usually talking to Thomas, possibly Thomas AV on occasion. Both are sober. one just has more of an attitude problem than the other.

Man Eating Tigers are Sober. They have no "attitude problem", merely "attitude". Pass the salt. Ketchup too maybe. Tigers are very patient. AV has all the time in the world....

W.