SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Just having a few isn't a big deal. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/370937-just-having-few-isnt-big-deal.html)

thomas11 07-03-2015 03:15 PM

Just having a few isn't a big deal.

This is what has been cycling through my mind today. I've gotten everything on my to-do list done both professionally, personally and medically. Totally set for the Holiday weekend. There is not even potential for some issue to arise. Therefore, knocking a few back while watching or reading anything of my choosing sounds very inviting right now. I'm also getting the "you've earned it" thing rattling around in my brain. The weather is perfect, we live on a lake the ambiance has already started (fireworks going off, neighbors getting ready for tomorrow's parade. Cocktails are the only thing missing. Really want to go visit some friends have a few drinks and a few laughs.

FreeOwl 07-03-2015 03:20 PM

Just having a few really ISN'T a big deal...

Except that 'just having a few' always leads to a big deal, for me anyway.

I know those thoughts well.... have had them many times myself.

I always try to remember that the Big Deal eventually comes when I open that "Just a few" door - and that I have over 25 years of hard evidence to prove it.

PurpleKnight 07-03-2015 03:24 PM

Those same thoughts used to open the flood gates with me, a few drinks would be a bottle of my liquor of choice, and then when I had planned to enjoy something the next day I'd ruin that enjoyment by having a pounding hangover to deal with the next morning that would stretch into the afternoon.

. . . and then what? one night would spiral into a few weekdays the following week because of course the sun was still shinning and sure it's summer and isn't everyone doing the same thing? which would lead back to as bad as ever drinking every night of the week for weeks before finding myself back at square one knowing I really need to quit, again, and regretting those few drinks a few weeks ago all because the sun was shinning and it was a holiday weekend!!

Don't do it, don't throw away all the good work based on the fairytales alcohol is selling, the idea of missing out on something, the thoughts of your life is not complete without that drink, don't give alcohol such an importance, it is not the centre of the universe that it claims to be!!

sugarbear1 07-03-2015 03:28 PM

Are you familiar with the kindling effect?

Dee74 07-03-2015 03:30 PM

If we could stop at just having a few, it wouldn't be a big deal, no...
Don't give your AV oxygen Jeff.

D

Soberwolf 07-03-2015 03:37 PM

Alcoholics dont do a few its what makes us alcoholic

1 is to many 1000 is never enough

least 07-03-2015 03:45 PM

I never wanted "just a few". I wanted the whole bottle and more. :( So the idea of having one or two isn't appealing to me. And I know what will happen if I drink. And I don't want to go there. :(

Angie247 07-03-2015 03:46 PM

I know if I ever have that one, it will start a chain reaction that will lead me to the life I had before when I was drinking. It might even be worse. That idea scares me. I've had the thought I've earned it throughout my 66 days of sobriety. What I tell myself is I deserve a life where I'm clear minded, free of drunken (and hungover) anxiety and the inevitable regret I will have later if I take that first drink.

Bailey3 07-03-2015 03:47 PM

Play the tape Thomas. You know where you'll wind up. Drunk, possibly blacked out and, hungover. If you don't drink tonight you'll thank yourself tomorrow.

biminiblue 07-03-2015 03:53 PM

I'm not going to join you.

I'm not even going to go down that thought pathway. I don't drink any more.

Be careful out there.

CBTAG 07-03-2015 03:59 PM

You know yourself better than anyone. Stay strong.

thomas11 07-03-2015 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by least (Post 5450733)
I never wanted "just a few". I wanted the whole bottle and more. :( So the idea of having one or two isn't appealing to me. And I know what will happen if I drink. And I don't want to go there. :(

Exactly, I don't want a few, I want to get drunk. It sounds fun right now.

biminiblue 07-03-2015 04:12 PM

Never mind how you "think" it would be - - what about the opiates you are taking right now? It's really dangerous to mix them with alcohol.

On The Road 07-03-2015 04:42 PM

Thomas, what's your plan, Dude? You can fight this!

Dee74 07-03-2015 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by biminiblue (Post 5450777)
Never mind how you "think" it would be - - what about the opiates you are taking right now? It's really dangerous to mix them with alcohol.

http://i62.tinypic.com/289wyl1.jpg ;)

D

LimitedLemur 07-03-2015 05:13 PM

I'm sure we've all been there. Hell, I'm here right now because my stupid brain was telling me mostly the same things. "I've been doing so well. Maybe I can just do a glass of wine with dinner." Hahah, luckily I know myself too well. One glass will turn into the bottle, and if I just so happen to pass out before I finish it, I'll feel like crap tomorrow, giving me the excuse to drink to nurse the hangover. And the cycle repeats. Ugh.

I'm still at the point where I know how harmful alcohol has been for me. I remember sitting down one night with some schnapps and thinking, "why do I even like this? What does it do for me?" Other than making me forget and not care (aka bad coping mechanisms), there's not a single thing I even like about drinking.

You're obviously here because alcohol hasn't been good to you. Always remember why you decided you needed to give it up. I'm guessing those reasons haven't really changed. Stay strong and just have fun without it. I'll bet you'll even remember the good times when you're done (unlike when you're drunk).

Wholesome 07-03-2015 05:48 PM

Well you are an adult and can do as you please. I think that if you drink today you will be sorry tomorrow to have given in to your craving and addiction. I also think that if you really thought it wasn't a big deal you wouldn't have posted about it. I hope you don't drink because I want you to beat your addiction :)

Stay true to yourself.

thomas11 07-03-2015 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 (Post 5450709)
Are you familiar with the kindling effect?

Yes, I did a fair amount of reading about it. Its something that, speaking purely for myself, has not been proven. That being said, I think there is some validity to it, and it makes me nervous. I don't need things to get any worse than they were.

strategery 07-03-2015 05:58 PM

Tell your AV to take a hike. A few didn't work out so well for you last time and you still have a physical reminder of this.

thomas11 07-03-2015 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by biminiblue (Post 5450777)

Yes definitely. I know its just an insane thought (getting drunk), but I'm being perfectly honest with everyone. And quite frankly, if I want to get drunk bad enough, I will. I'm stubborn, and never claimed to be smart.