SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Anyone else a daily liquor store patron? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/370655-anyone-else-daily-liquor-store-patron.html)

Yankee73 07-03-2015 10:56 AM

Daily for me. Sometimes I wouldn't buy enough and have to go back out. I don't know how I thought I was able to fool the clerks. I was trashed.

At the end, I gave up rotating liquor stores and just went to the same one every morning. It took only 3 days before I bought out all of "my" wine. Then, I moved on to my "2nd choice" and so on. At one point I had to go to a different store because I bought all the white wine. I was so happy when they would re-stock.

daisy1 07-03-2015 11:40 AM

This thread is amazing. We all behave the same - I suppose it's alcoholism and society, stigma rules etc that make us follow the same patterns. It's so helpful to read that you have all been as crazy as me ;-) lol

Austin4Wyo 07-03-2015 11:58 AM

Indeed. Weirdley enough, I'd see repeat patrons around the same time at various stores. Last place I was at in Wyoming, it was like clockwork. I would be there between 3-4 PM on Friday, and would likely see two other patrons nearly every time. We all went out of our way to try and make like we didn't recognize each other. Saturday afternoon restock also had a few regulars aside from me.

In my last stab at AA in Wyoming before I relocated, I saw a couple of them at least poke their head into a meeting. During the last relapse, we were all back on our buying schedule, which further drove us from acknowleging each other, I'm sure. I hope they make it...

"Always Believe!" -The Ultimate Warrior

MelindaFlowers 07-04-2015 12:47 AM

I often stop at a 7-11 to buy coffee in the morning and I see people (mostly men and mostly construction types) buying tall boys on the way to work at 7:00 am. I wonder if construction jobs are conducive to drinking on the job.

Austin4Wyo 07-04-2015 12:58 AM

I've seen guys from the mines in northern Wyoming getting beer that early, but they were coming off third shift. It was their five o'clock. I'm careful not to make assumptions. Purchasing does not necessarily equate consumption.

sva777 07-04-2015 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Austin4Wyo (Post 5451253)
I've seen guys from the mines in northern Wyoming getting beer that early, but they were coming off third shift. It was their five o'clock. I'm careful not to make assumptions. Purchasing does not necessarily equate consumption.

I actually had some question me once, another customer if I really should be buying beer at 8 am. First off it was none of their business and second I had just left work from night shift.

thomas11 07-04-2015 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers (Post 5451243)
I often stop at a 7-11 to buy coffee in the morning and I see people (mostly men and mostly construction types) buying tall boys on the way to work at 7:00 am. I wonder if construction jobs are conducive to drinking on the job.

Not at my company! I wonder if they are overnight workers on highway construction or something. That's just stupid. You know how much workman's comp rates go up if someone gets injured on the job?? Its dangerous enough being around heavy equipment, and they want to do it buzzed. Hell no.

ChloeRose63 07-04-2015 08:14 AM

Still, people drive drunk.

Austin4Wyo 07-04-2015 08:44 AM

There's also the fact that if all they're getting is a tall boy, they can't be my kind of drinker. 16 oz would be down my gullet in half an hour, and wouldn't so much as buzz me. If thats all I'm getting, it was a waste of a couple bucks.

The reason I was rotating my buying, avoiding clerks, etc, was shame and fear. A normal person buying a single beer at the end of a shift probably doesn't feel that, so they have no reason to question buying it in the morning if that's their downtime.

If I saw them back to restock several times a day like I did, I'd relate easier. But as has been said, it's not my business, either.

dunkelheit 07-05-2015 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Austin4Wyo (Post 5451635)
There's also the fact that if all they're getting is a tall boy, they can't be my kind of drinker. 16 oz would be down my gullet in half an hour, and wouldn't so much as buzz me. If thats all I'm getting, it was a waste of a couple bucks.

The reason I was rotating my buying, avoiding clerks, etc, was shame and fear. A normal person buying a single beer at the end of a shift probably doesn't feel that, so they have no reason to question buying it in the morning if that's their downtime.

If I saw them back to restock several times a day like I did, I'd relate easier. But as has been said, it's not my business, either.

Same. A tall boy wouldn't even affect my judgement. Can't judge people for buying in the morning. You don't know them.

dunkelheit 07-05-2015 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by bigsombrero (Post 5445751)
Alcoholism is centered on instant gratification. We don't think too far ahead.

Also, I think that the "liquor store run" was part of the fix. Don't you all agree? Something about picking out your bottle for the day, looking at the options, and going home with the bottle in your bag....it was all part of the routine, the habit, the addiction. The clinking of the ice in the glass, the weight of the bottle in your hand, settling into your "drinking position" on the couch or chair. It's all part of the cycle of addiction. That's why this habit is so hard to break, there are a lot of moving parts and it's not as simple as just 'not drinking'. Some might argue that's the easy part!

I was more of a drink at home, and go out type of alcoholic. I have PTSD, so drinking made it possible to go out. I'm at a loss now. My mom took away my benzos because I was drinking on benzos. I just want one or the other to help me. Otherwise, I'm going out at 3AM with a knife I'm not allowed to carry anymore because I was violent towards police officers. They didn't shoot me, which was a miracle. The force didn't even know me too well. I can't hate Toronto cops cuz tney didn't kill me.

BTW, I was sober that night. I had 1 beer followed by a bottle of water.

2WheelsGood 07-05-2015 08:15 AM

All these stories about rotating stores, rotating shifts, rotating purchases are great. I remember them all well. Thanks, it brought a smile to my face and affirms it for me. I am an addict.

Anybody else found it a relief that the big box groceries added self checkout lines so you can "get away with" buying again the next day? Ha!

FBL 07-05-2015 09:30 AM

I bought at least an 18 pack of beer daily, sometimes more than once a day! I always feared running out and would make sure that the frig was stocked at all times. I would do the rotation thing too, although I went so often to every liquor store that they all knew me. They must think that I died six years ago:)

wallup 07-05-2015 10:02 AM

Daily here. You know, I would rotate through at least 4-5 stores to make it look like I wasn't a regular. Really hit home when the guy working the checkout said I'm like clock-work.... ouch.

dunkelheit 07-05-2015 05:53 PM

I read everyone's post on here multiple times. Thank you everyone.

Mountainmanbob 07-05-2015 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers (Post 5451243)

I wonder if construction jobs are conducive to drinking on the job.

Sure was where I worked. Hard out in the field work mixed with hard drinking. Many didn't make it to retirement due to their running with the liquid devil.
Mountainman