SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   wasted weekend... trying to turn page (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/369137-wasted-weekend-trying-turn-page.html)

lek 06-08-2015 08:00 AM

wasted weekend... trying to turn page

A friend referred me here as a source of help both to him and hopefully to me. I'm a problem drinker - not sure what an alcoholic is or if I am one, but my drinking gets out of hand. Aside from the weight gain and health risks I've really taken chances with my professional life.

A typical problem behaviour for me is sitting here alone, heavily intoxicated, and then deciding to comment, post and message dozens of people.... I don't know why I do that. Only the kindness of others has saved me from ruining myself and maybe feeling depressed enough about the aftermath to self harm.

Well, I want to stop. Anyhoo that's my little story.

least 06-08-2015 08:20 AM

Welcome to the family. :) There's lots of support here. I hope we can help you get sober for good. :)

FeelingGreat 06-08-2015 08:23 AM

Hi lek, I think you'd better stop as well. How about talking to your doctor about how you want to quit? You might think about AA or some other group.
I was a solitary drinker, so I know how you feel, but quitting has brought me so much peace and satisfaction I could never go back to the old me.

ScottFromWI 06-08-2015 08:28 AM

Welcome Lek. I woudln't worry about labels right now, sounds like you realize that drinking is a problem and that stopping is a good idea. That is as good of a place to start as any. Have you ever tried to quit before?

lek 06-08-2015 09:38 AM

Thanks for the replies. I've said "never again" numerous times. I can't see a doctor right now (hard to explain, don't want to explain)

I sleep much better sober. I don't wake up in a panic for one thing, wondering what happened and what I might have done.

:grouphug:

CaseyW 06-08-2015 09:49 AM

Welcome, lek! Don't worry about the labels right now. Just know that if you're having trouble in your life because of drinking, this is a good place to be. There's a ton of great wisdom and support to be found here. Hope you check in often!

JaneLane 06-08-2015 09:50 AM

Hey,

This sounds like a wonderful time to make a change (not that there is a bad time!). Have you tried to get sober previously? I attend AA but there's plenty of alternative support if it's not for you.

biminiblue 06-08-2015 09:52 AM

Hi, welcome.

In the beginning I really took it one day at a time. My goal every day was to lay my head down at night sober.

It worked, so does coming to this site. I hope you stick around, there is a lot of support here. Maybe you'd like to join some other people who have chosen to stop drinking in June?

Here is the June class thread - take a look.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ne-2015-a.html

Anna 06-08-2015 10:08 AM

Welcome,

I think that used to be referred to as 'drunk dialing' but that was in the days before emails and texts. I'm not sure why it's such a common occurrence, but it seems to be. The good news is that you can stop this now. :)

KeepTruckin 06-08-2015 03:08 PM

Welcome! I sure know about drunk dialing/ texting / messaging and waking up in the middle of the night (or morning) wondering what the hell happened and how I got to my bed. I'm just a few months sober and getting sick just remembering how awful that made me feel. Whether I ever called myself an alcoholic or not, one thing is sure, I feel MUCH better not drinking. You can, too, and we are all here to help you :)

Dee74 06-08-2015 04:35 PM

Welcome to SR lek :)

D

matilda123 06-08-2015 04:59 PM

Welcome! What you said about sleep is so true--sober sleep is the best!! It feels so great to snuggle into your pillows at night and drift to sleep--and stay asleep--and wake up feeling rested and ready for the day.

happyandfree 06-08-2015 07:15 PM

Welcome, lek. Glad you joined us. :c014:

PurpleKnight 06-09-2015 04:12 PM

Welcome to the Forum Lek!! :wave:

esoxlucius 06-11-2015 03:25 AM

Hi Lek,

Don't worry about saying "never again" numerous times, keep saying it and keep working. I did a rough calculation and reckoned I committed to quitting about 200 times over the 15 years, most only lasted a couple of days, a few a couple of weeks and once I hit 100 days. Now I'm coming up on four months (tomorrow). Each quit taught me something even if I wasn't ready to learn it at the time. I think my sobriety this time is as a result of all of the failures in the past.

Esox

Nerina 06-11-2015 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by lek (Post 5412400)
A friend referred me here as a source of help both to him and hopefully to me. I'm a problem drinker - not sure what an alcoholic is or if I am one, but my drinking gets out of hand. Aside from the weight gain and health risks I've really taken chances with my professional life.

A typical problem behaviour for me is sitting here alone, heavily intoxicated, and then deciding to comment, post and message dozens of people.... I don't know why I do that. Only the kindness of others has saved me from ruining myself and maybe feeling depressed enough about the aftermath to self harm.

Well, I want to stop. Anyhoo that's my little story.

Originally Posted by lek (Post 5412511)
Thanks for the replies. I've said "never again" numerous times. I can't see a doctor right now (hard to explain, don't want to explain)

I sleep much better sober. I don't wake up in a panic for one thing, wondering what happened and what I might have done.

:grouphug:

Welcome! I'm new here too. Only on my first day. I can relate to what you say about sitting alone drunk and start texting/messaging people. I'm almost scared to check facebook and messages after a night like that. I've said never again a lot too. Hopefully this time it really is NEVER again for me. I don't really call myself an alcoholic, but I do realize I have a problem with alcohol and I guess that is the first step :) And you get a lot of support here on SR so keep posting :)

lek 06-12-2015 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Nerina (Post 5416716)
Welcome! I'm new here too. Only on my first day. I can relate to what you say about sitting alone drunk and start texting/messaging people. I'm almost scared to check facebook and messages after a night like that.

Hi Nerina, thank you. I bet we've both embarrassed ourselves terribly online - well I know I have - publicly, and in private messages to different people. I shudder with fear at the thought that people may have decided to screenshot what I wrote and keep that handy for some special day.

So far I am doing well, 5 days without drink. I don't want to say that I will never drink again - but I don't want to repeat my destructive behaviors. I won't have a drink until I've figured out a plan to prevent them from happening. Right now I am not at the stage where I can have any drink at all in the house, even as something to offer guests - too much pull on my mind.

Goldenwine 06-12-2015 08:38 AM

Welcome in this group! I just joined as well. My drinking is out of control and I am now ready to accept that I can't make it alone and finally, after 20 years of embarrassment and hangovers, I finally asked for help. I had my first visit with a psychiatrist yesterday and she is making a gradual plan to get me out of this state and away for this poison.

Thanks for sharing and good luck!

Dee74 06-12-2015 05:04 PM

congrats on day 5 Lek :)

D

Dee74 06-12-2015 05:04 PM

congrats on day 5 Lek :)

D