SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Do you think alcoholism is a moral failure? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/348490-do-you-think-alcoholism-moral-failure.html)

ArtFriend 10-22-2014 06:26 AM

Do you think alcoholism is a moral failure?

My uber-religious brother thinks it is. He is very condemning of those who imbibe. I argued back that it is a disease and people should not be condemned for being sick. He thinks this is a lame excuse to drink.

What do you think?

TiredEnough 10-22-2014 06:34 AM

Not sure on alcohol but I think drug addiction is at least partially. I knew full well what I was doing and did it anyway. That was failure on my part to do the right thing and that is a moral issue.

Soberwolf 10-22-2014 06:36 AM

Im sorry your brother sees it like that

iggy24 10-22-2014 06:38 AM

interesting question considering alcoholism and morality are both human created concepts with no solid definitions...It's like a double whammy of nonsense that you should disregard. really..total rubbish

LBrain 10-22-2014 06:39 AM

Why one drinks beyond normal will always be debated.

Is it a moral issue? Absolutely not.

desypete 10-22-2014 06:41 AM

if i was in your shoes the next time your brother starts off on it again, just agree with him : ) it works wonders to let things go right over the top of our head, at the end of the day your not going to change him or his views so why waste a moment on it ? go and do something else that is more enjoyable

Lenina 10-22-2014 06:42 AM

moral failure? no.

Love from Lenina

trachemys 10-22-2014 06:42 AM

The last time I answered this question Dee invited me to reword my response. It was past the editable time frame so he just deleted it.

The allowable answer is:

No.

trachemys 10-22-2014 06:44 AM

I'd just like to take a moment to thank Dee. He's been a champ and appropriate in dealing with me.

Stang 10-22-2014 06:45 AM

I don't consider my alcoholism to be a moral issue. I do consider not addressing it for 30 years a moral issue or at least a responsibility issue.

Anna 10-22-2014 06:46 AM

Alcoholism is not a character defect. It's a disease.

Cecilia44 10-22-2014 06:48 AM

I had to chime in here and hope I don't get too many tough responses from my post, but my answer is yes.

If you are an alcoholic and know you are someone who can't handle drinking "normally" and it reeks havoc on your own life and others yet you still continue to do it, then yes.

The point is I believe it becomes a moral failure once you realize that you have a problem and do nothing about it. Before that happens (admitting your an alcoholic), then no.

biminiblue 10-22-2014 06:49 AM

I have to agree with desypete here.

I don't argue about moral issues with family if it is going to get heated - just not worth the aggravation. Every person has their own moral compass. Some are a bit further off North than others, IMO. And that's all it is, my opinion.

Your brother probably has a lot of um...different...ideas from yours. Amirite?

TiredEnough 10-22-2014 06:49 AM

I think Cecilia and Stang nailed it.

Hawks 10-22-2014 06:53 AM

Ask him if he has read this bit in his Bible??

“Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven"

iggy24 10-22-2014 06:55 AM

I drank more then 99% of people. i knew what i was doing before i did it. like everyone does i didn't and I don't care what other people think about that. my morality is my own..not anybody else or any religious group or culture. The notion that every heavy drinker is ruining the lives of all these people around them..not so true for a lot of people..people could careless what i was doing..and my loved ones didn't even know..I probably kept one little liquor store afloat...it came down to physical health..thats all

anattaboy 10-22-2014 06:57 AM

Ok, we can frame it that way. I, and everyone else who have chosen sobriety have repented. Praise Inanna!

ArtFriend 10-22-2014 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by iggy24 (Post 4969165)
interesting question considering alcoholism and morality are both human created concepts with no solid definitions...It's like a double whammy of nonsense that you should disregard. really..total rubbish

Definition of alcoholism is pretty clear. Morality not so much

Lenina 10-22-2014 07:01 AM

I think being judgemental is a moral failing.

I believe alcoholism/addiction is a complex physical and psychological issue, key word being Complex.

Denial is an aspect of the condition. It took me about ten years to fully realize I had something more going on than a rough patch. It took me longer to figure out what needed to be done. This is where the personal responsibility comes in, I think.

I suppose we could get into one of those dissections of the nature of Good and Evil. Right and Wrong. I'm just grateful I'm sober today.

Love from Lenina

WritingFromLife 10-22-2014 07:01 AM

This gets my blood boiling HOT---my son is one who believes it's a moral issue, choice, they should just get it together, etc.

I have a friend who is an amazing woman. Martha Stewart couldn't touch her talent. She is articulate, well-read, and beautiful. Yet she struggles heavily with alcohol. There's nothing wrong with her morals--she gives and loves with all she has. I can't imagine saying to her "you are making immoral choices" She would LOVE for it to be a choice she could take or leave, trust me.

Okay, rant over. People need to get off their high horse and look at their own stuff.

I could go on and talk about people's views on mental illness.....same stuff many times.