SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Quiting pot - not so easy (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/313448-quiting-pot-not-so-easy.html)

brazilian 02-14-2014 06:17 AM

Day 9

Challenge ahead: Friday night.

Chances of relapse: 0,01%.

poolsideGal 02-14-2014 12:08 PM

Good for you, brazilian!

Thank you for this thread.

I'm also an all-or-nothing smoker. Or maybe it's all-to-nothing, as in "I'll take it all and burn it to nothing." Been wanting to quit forever, like the drinking. I can't moderate pot.

I'm looking at my situation at home right now. I have a person staying at my place with whom I partied for five months straight, where our best times of relating with each other has to do with partying and playing games and having fun. He says that he'd respect my wishes regarding no alcohol or weed in the house. I haven't done a full test on that, as I'm the one who keeps relapsing. I know very well he'll partake when it's around. Heck, that's how we started out -- constantly partying. If I'm to relieve myself of this person from my life -- I'd be putting him back out on the street, and that is totally killing me. On the other hand, I desperately need my place back for myself.

This is the web I wove for myself. I guess I have some lessons to learn.

zerothehero 02-14-2014 12:54 PM

Everyone is different. I smoked a lot of weed from age 13 to 18, then I decided to quit in college because school was a challenge (high school was not a challenge - I smoked weed before school regularly).

I quit and a few days later I had a horrible nightmare about walking down the sidewalk and my feet turning to dust, then, prone in the gutter, bit by bit my legs were disintegrating, until finally, a guy with a broom walked up and started sweeping me into a storm drain... I awoke sobbing and could not stop all day. I finally went to the university's mental health center because I could not get it together. That didn't help much, so I went home and cried myself to sleep. This was sun up to sunset nonstop and uncontrollable sobbing. I thought I would need to be checked into a mental institution.

The next day I woke up scared but in better control. It took a few weeks before I felt I could concentrate again, and since then the few times I've smoked I usually get anxious and don't enjoy it. Before that episode I loved weed. Something happened in my brain when I quit after almost daily use for five years.

I've come to believe marijuana is a lot more dangerous than many people want to believe.

Dee74 02-14-2014 02:06 PM

Chances of relapse: 0,01%.
nah - relapse is totally down to the decisions we make...make it 0.00 Brazillian :)

D

krete77 02-14-2014 03:22 PM

Today is my second day off the weed as well. Good luck man I'll follow along and maybe get some motivation.

brazilian 02-15-2014 10:18 AM

poolside

It's a tough situation... I hope you get over it...

I also have "friendships" based on partying and getting high... and I discovered this is not friendship... very sad.

Hope you feel better soon, my friend.

brazilian 02-15-2014 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by zerothehero (Post 4470976)
I've come to believe marijuana is a lot more dangerous than many people want to believe.

I agree... for me, it's darkness disguised in fun. Really tricky business.

brazilian 02-15-2014 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 4471075)
nah - relapse is totally down to the decisions we make...make it 0.00 Brazillian :)

D

I agree, D... I was going to put 0% but it seemed a little arrogant... after all, I failed so many times...

brazilian 02-15-2014 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by krete77 (Post 4471217)
Today is my second day off the weed as well. Good luck man I'll follow along and maybe get some motivation.

Welcome, krete... Let's do it together, my friend...

Be strong in these first days, it's worth it.

brazilian 02-15-2014 10:35 AM

Day 10

Challenge ahead: Saturday night

Chances of relapse: 0% - "easy" because I have no friends anymore, I have nowhere to buy weed. Most importantly, because I really don't want to smoke anymore. Never again.

Still sad and depressed, but that's just who I am, a sad and depressed man. Enough of drugs and void friendships to cover this truth.

brazilian 02-16-2014 06:40 AM

Day 11

krete77 02-16-2014 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by brazilian (Post 4472547)
Welcome, krete... Let's do it together, my friend...

Be strong in these first days, it's worth it.

thanks bro. day 4 for me today

brazilian 02-16-2014 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by krete77 (Post 4474399)
thanks bro. day 4 for me today

Great, just keep going.

Becomes easier.

StraightAhead 02-16-2014 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by brazilian (Post 4474394)
Day 11

Brazilian, you are closing in on two weeks. That is awesome. I also like your 0% chance of relapse mind set. That's really how you have to approach it, with certainty that the decision was the right one and that you won't go back on it.

Yesterday was a week for me not drinking. I am very happy that I decided to quit. I was just outside in the yard and thinking how much better I feel now that I decided to not drink. I mentioned on another thread that last night at about 6pm I was kind of dying for a glass of wine since that's the time I usually start drinking, but I was able to say no. I had a nice glass of pomegranate juice instead. Anyway, at around 10pm, when I would normally be falling asleep from too much wine, I was feeling great and clear headed. And i was just so happy that I was able to hold off on that first glass of wine at 6pm. Now I just have to remember that every night. When I'm dying for that first glass of wine at 6pm, I just have to remember how much better I will feel at 10pm, and the next morning, if I resist the first glass at 6pm.

brazilian 02-16-2014 06:12 PM

Thanks, Straight. Very glad to hear such awesome news from you. Keep up the great work, my friend.

It's really worth it to be clear headed instead of being doped all the time. Even though my trouble was weed, I quit alcohol too. When I drink, I have the urge to smoke. So I stoped it all.

Let's us keep resisting that first glass, shall we. Let's do it together. For 2 weeks, 2 months, 2 years, 2 decades. We deserve it.

brazilian 02-17-2014 09:24 AM

Day 12.

Went to the supermarket today. At the entrance there was a pile of boxes and boxes loaded with Heineken, my drink of choice, at a "very good" price. What a temptation. Even though alcohol isn't my most serious addiction, I felt the urge to drink some.

Was able to say no. Bought a bottle of wine as a gift for my wife's grandpa, as I promissed. Now I have a bottle here... Shouldn't be a problem... but it was a mistake. Of course a part of me wants to drink it. And then I will be craving for hemp, and I will fall. That's why I quit alcohol too. One thing leads to another.

I'll remain steady. Will make some coffee and go on with my sober and healthy new life.

DG0409 02-17-2014 10:01 AM

Way to go on 12 days. It really does get so much easier and better as time goes on.

I'm at 7 months weed free. The early times were a struggle for me. I didn't know if I would like not smoking it but thought I'd spent so long doing it. I wanted to know what life was like without it and to my surprise, it's really much better now.

brazilian 02-17-2014 11:19 AM

7 months is great, congratulations! :c011:

In the past I had 2 breaks, one of 6 years and one of 9 months without weed and alcohol. Now I want to be sober once for all, hope I can achieve that.

StraightAhead 02-17-2014 06:48 PM

I'm enjoying my blackberry juice mixed with sparkling water right now and thinking about how great I feel and how great I will feel tomorrow morning if I don't drink. At the moment anyway, I really don't even want a glass of wine. Happy with my juice and feeling like I'm making a good decision. Stay strong brazilian!

Dee74 02-17-2014 06:50 PM

great going brazilian :)

D