SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   What WON'T you miss about drinking? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/283455-what-wont-you-miss-about-drinking.html)

Carlotta 02-06-2013 12:25 PM

I won't miss

Isolating myself
Planning how to commit suicide
Knowing that this is my nasty secret that no one knows and being scared to be exposed for the hypocrite I am
Spending money on booze instead of investing it in my home business
Passing out and being completely useless
Wallowing in self pity
Puking in the morning before having to get a "hair from the dog that bit you" which of course ended up in drinking all freaking day and night
Obsessively brushing my teeth and biting in onions
Going to work at my regular job feeling like crap because I had not yet started to drinking before or during work
Having to go get booze first thing in the morning
Feeling like crap both physically and mentally

PippoRossi 02-06-2013 01:00 PM

Holy hell, Alison! I just loved your post. I say "DITTO" to all of it!

AWOL 02-06-2013 01:06 PM

I will not miss:

Falling into the swimming pool instead of finding the front door.
Parking my car in someone else's driveway and then reporting it stolen the next morning.
Waking up in the cupboard instead of in my bed.
Walking into a wall and then apologizing to it.
The black hole of the chapter that was the night before, and the bruises that can't remember the story.

jkb 02-06-2013 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by AWOL (Post 3808013)
I will not miss:

Falling into the swimming pool instead of finding the front door.
Parking my car in someone else's driveway and then reporting it stolen the next morning.
Waking up in the cupboard instead of in my bed.
Walking into a wall and then apologizing to it.The black hole of the chapter that was the night before, and the bruises that can't remember the story.

Thank you for this... it made me laugh... only because I can relate

PippoRossi 02-06-2013 01:10 PM

Alison - it is posts like yours that make me come back to these forums for support again and again. What an amazing eye opener to read everyone's reasons and say to myself, "Check, check, check. Yep, that's what I won't/don't miss!" Thanks, again, for your post. :scoregood

Pondlady 02-06-2013 01:20 PM

I don't miss feeling disappointed in myself.....not one bit !!!!

tallcactus 02-06-2013 01:34 PM

The handcuffs, the court appearances!!

AlisonW 02-06-2013 01:48 PM

These are great, love reading everyone's responses. I pretty much relate to all of them! I will definitely revisit this list next time a craving should hit!

Halzuzu 02-06-2013 02:06 PM

All of the above and I will not/do not miss the white elephant in the room or killing myself slowly and painfully.

Fitness1234 02-06-2013 05:32 PM

The insecurity
the shakes
the headaches
the hangover
the embarssment
the fights
blackouts
black and blues
throwing up
gaining weight
depression
guilt
hiding/lying about drinking
hiding bottles!
thinking about it non stop (not sure when that will happen)

sunrise1 02-06-2013 05:52 PM

One thing that struck me this evening on the way to dinner...

I don't miss strategically "planning" out my drinks for the evening, or finding an excuse as to why I'd order a drink with my meal; then planning how to order more without looking like someone desperately trying to get as much as possible during dinner. Then leaving unfulfilled because it was never enough.

I don't miss that at all.

Sent from my iPad using SoberRecovery

Splash29 02-06-2013 07:07 PM

The feeling of not knowing if you're going to lose control tonight or not. Or lose your phone, start a fight or fall in public.

Tres 02-06-2013 07:16 PM

I dont miss all the time that was consumed thinking about drinking...do I have enough, do I stop at tbe store, what time can I start and can I stop?

I dont miss reading books to my daughter with one eye shut due to double vision..

yank 02-06-2013 07:27 PM

i wont miss trying to get 20 bucks for a 12 pack of HEINEKEN everyday after work and not giving a crap about not having gas in the truck to make it to work the next day right now i got 23 days in and saved 460 dollars and i have a half tank of gas god bless to my beeps

jennikate 02-06-2013 07:31 PM

I don't miss....
driving drunk and praying to make it home in one piece
digging through the cushions for enough money to buy my supply
getting up an hour early so that I'd have time to make it to the packy before work
the delusion that nobody noticed that I was drunk
every time I had a random ache or pain thinking it was liver or kidney damage
looking at old pics and wondering how my life had gone so wrong
so many more things. Thank god I never have to drink again.

Melacole 02-06-2013 07:42 PM

I don't miss wondering what the heck I did the night before, wondering what else can I buy so that I don't look like a loser buying only a bottle of wine at noon....on a Thursday, who did I text, did I post something ridiculous on Facebook, does my husband know I am wasted, how will I hide this purchase, feeling puffy and bloated, blowing off working out because I am focused on drinking or hungover from drinking, hangovers at 4pm because I started drinking at 6 am while tailgating, being so tired from covering my tracks, wondering if I am going to get pulled over, wondering where I can hide my empties until I can get them to a public trash can because I can't up them in my trash or recycling, wondering if I remembered all of my empties...and SOOOOO much more.

paul99 02-06-2013 07:56 PM

Waking up and realizing that I am still stuck with me

karilynn27 02-06-2013 07:59 PM

drinking myself sick only to throw up and start drinking again

jkb 02-09-2013 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by paul99 (Post 3808495)
Waking up and realizing that I am still stuck with me

Wow... Thank you for this. That truly does kind-of sum it up for me. I love this thread. Great for when I am craving....

Nonsensical 02-09-2013 08:11 AM

Waking up and wondering if I had hidden all my empties from the night before so no one knew HOW MUCH I had actually consumed.