SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   How long does this feeling last? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/280496-how-long-does-feeling-last.html)

Bob22 01-18-2013 12:32 PM

I was prescribed Ativan the first week I was going through this but only took one the first night. The doctor I saw this week told me if I still have Anxiety to take one of the pills or 1/2 a pill as needed. I don't want to do that becasue I want my body to adjust on it's own. I feel if I take the pill, it will never adjust right.

Thanks Bob.

TrixMixer 01-18-2013 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bob22 (Post 3777939)
Hey Bob, it really doesn't have anything to do with wanting a drink. I really don't want anything to drink. It is still this chemical embalance that brings all of this on.

Thus the ATIVAN! Take as needed directions!?

2granddaughters 01-18-2013 01:10 PM

Bob, you're a good man but you can't go to the Dr and get direction then say "I'm not doing that".

That's the kind of thinking that got us here.

Did you tell the Dr about your drinking, that you wanted to quit? Did he say to go to AA ?

All the best.

Bob R

Bob22 01-18-2013 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters (Post 3778055)
Bob, you're a good man but you can't go to the Dr and get direction then say "I'm not doing that".

That's the kind of thinking that got us here.

Did you tell the Dr about your drinking, that you wanted to quit? Did he say to go to AA ?

All the best.

Bob R

Yes I told the docs about my drinking and we talked about AA. I have been to AA twice. I just can't go when I am having these Anxiety Attacks. I will be going again for sure.

Thank Bob.

Bob22 01-18-2013 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by TrixMixer (Post 3778050)
Thus the ATIVAN! Take as needed directions!?

Hi Trixmixer,

I want to take the Ativan, and I might do it today if this doesn't let up. I am just so affraid that somehow by taking it, it might set me back. Or I will just continue to have Anxiety Attacks and have to take Ativan forever.

If it gets worse today I will have no choice. God I just want to get better. I don't even want a drink. I am to scared to take a drink ever in the fear that this would happen to me again.

The past 3 days were great. This Rollercoaster is really rough!

hypochondriac 01-18-2013 01:50 PM

It sounds like you're really against taking the drugs Bob. Have you spoke to your doc about going down another route? Maybe some CBT or something. Many talking therapies can work wonders on anxiety. I was convinced mine was random but there were root causes and a lot of the CBT techniques were very helpful x

Bob22 01-18-2013 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by hypochondriac (Post 3778123)
It sounds like you're really against taking the drugs Bob. Have you spoke to your doc about going down another route? Maybe some CBT or something. Many talking therapies can work wonders on anxiety. I was convinced mine was random but there were root causes and a lot of the CBT techniques were very helpful x

Hi Hypochondriac,

I actually just downloaded CBT For Dummies. It is well written. It will definitely help me in the way I think about things. But at this time I don’t think it is really going to help me with what is going on. What is causing me to feel Anxiety is the feelings that I am having in my body like the Tingling in the arms, and adrenalin feeling I get for no reason. When I get those, that is when I get worried.

I just have to keep telling myself that this will eventually get better. I might end up taking the Ativan if it keeps up for too much longer today.

Thank you for your reply!

Bob22 01-18-2013 03:49 PM

Ok so I have been debating back and forth all day whether to take the Ativan. I broke the tablet in half so the does would be .5 mg

I have read on the internet that it could make this all worse because then I could get hook on the ativan or go through withdrawal like I am now from the alcohol.

I also have the worry that the ativan will disrupt my body from balancing out. I can see why you would take it in the beginning days but I am going on 24 days.

Has anyone on here taken ativan later on in recovering from PAWS and did it help?

Thank you!

TrixMixer 01-18-2013 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bob22 (Post 3778315)
Ok so I have been debating back and forth all day whether to take the Ativan. I broke the tablet in half so the does would be .5 mg

I have read on the internet that it could make this all worse because then I could get hook on the ativan or go through withdrawal like I am now from the alcohol.

I also have the worry that the ativan will disrupt my body from balancing out. I can see why you would take it in the beginning days but I am going on 24 days.

Has anyone on here taken ativan later on in recovering from PAWS and did it help?

Thank you!

Bob,

Didn't you say you just spoke to your doctor and he said it was fine to take as needed?? He knows your condition, do you not trust him?

Bob22 01-18-2013 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by TrixMixer (Post 3778347)
Bob,

Didn't you say you just spoke to your doctor and he said it was fine to take as needed?? He knows your condition, do you not trust him?

I'm sorry to say I don't trust any of them when it comes to meds. I really shouldn't have went searching on the net about ativan.

If this crap keeps up like it was today, I will have no choice. I feel exhusted from dealing with it all day. It was non-stop today. I feel weak all over now.

I am starting to feel a little relief at the moment.

I will have to trust in the doctors after this.

Thank you so much Trixmixer for hanging in there with me!!!

artsoul 01-18-2013 04:27 PM

Hi Bob -

I think it's good to be cautious with the Ativan. After I got sober, I was referred to a psychiatrist by my psychologist. Once I was evaluated, he put me on a very low dose blood-pressure medication (not addictive). I say this not to give advice, but just to say that I found some options out there that I wasn't aware of. None of us are the same, of course.

It sounds like you're doing the right thing - I commend you for not misusing the Ativan.:c011: You might want to check out some breathing exercises for panic attacks - I find that they really help. Hope this passes for you soon!:ghug3

Bob22 01-18-2013 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by artsoul (Post 3778372)
Hi Bob -

I think it's good to be cautious with the Ativan. After I got sober, I was referred to a psychiatrist by my psychologist. Once I was evaluated, he put me on a very low dose blood-pressure medication (not addictive). I say this not to give advice, but just to say that I found some options out there that I wasn't aware of. None of us are the same, of course.

It sounds like you're doing the right thing - I commend you for not misusing the Ativan.:c011: You might want to check out some breathing exercises for panic attacks - I find that they really help. Hope this passes for you soon!:ghug3

Thank you so much for your post artsoul. Did the blood pressure med help your anxiety?

Zee 01-18-2013 04:37 PM

I have 17 months sober... anxiety was with me before I became an alki and it will probably be with me for a while longer... I have a stock-pile of valium and sleeping tablets but I only take them when really needed... even then, I only take enough to 'take the edge off' ... alcohol is my DOC, I personally don't find drugs appealing, strange eh! :)

vegibean 01-18-2013 04:38 PM

Hey Bob22, nice to meet you. Good for you on trying to do this the right way. I know there is a "no medical advice" rule on here, but I agree with artsoul as well. Just be mindful. I hope at the same time that you are getting some outside emotional/mental support (sorry, didn't read all the posts, you may have mentioned that you are doing so), but I encourage you to do so. Trying to get sober by just putting the drink or drug down doesn't really work alone (99.9% of the time), so I do hope that you're doing that as well.

Bob, my best to you on your journey, keep up the good works. :)

Yes, I meant to add the "s" at the end. ;)

Bob22 01-18-2013 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by vegibean (Post 3778386)
Hey Bob22, nice to meet you. Good for you on trying to do this the right way. I know there is a "no medical advice" rule on here, but I agree with artsoul as well. Just be mindful. I hope at the same time that you are getting some outside emotional/mental support (sorry, didn't read all the posts, you may have mentioned that you are doing so), but I encourage you to do so. Trying to get sober by just putting the drink or drug down doesn't really work alone (99.9% of the time), so I do hope that you're doing that as well.

Bob, my best to you on your journey, keep up the good works. :)

Yes, I meant to add the "s" at the end. ;)

Thank you Vegibean! I have a doctor, counselor, AA, and my wonderful Wife. I am not going to drink again, I would never chance going through thi again.

Bob22 01-18-2013 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Zee (Post 3778385)
I have 17 months sober... anxiety was with me before I became an alki and it will probably be with me for a while longer... I have a stock-pile of valium and sleeping tablets but I only take them when really needed... even then, I only take enough to 'take the edge off' ... alcohol is my DOC, I personally don't find drugs appealing, strange eh! :)

Thank you Zee. I have been putting that pill in my hand off and on all day. Thinking I might make it tonight without it.

kizzy40 01-18-2013 05:40 PM

If it helps bob i'm going it alone without meds too.
If you are exuausted or feeling irrational then take something, if not wing it :)

Bob22 01-18-2013 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by kizzy40 (Post 3778482)
If it helps bob i'm going it alone without meds too.
If you are exuausted or feeling irrational then take something, if not wing it :)

Thank you Kizzy, it does help and I hope you are well!

Bob22 01-19-2013 09:30 AM

Controlling the Anxiety a little better today. Went to an AA Meeting this morning. It did help!

The only problem is my mind will not stop thinking that this Anxiety is going to be forever! I can't stress enough that I never dealt with this type of Anxiety prior to quiting the drink. And I never drank to get rid of Anxiety.

I am still not wanting anything to do with the booze!!!

Hope you are all feeling good today!!!