Notices

How long does this feeling last?

Old 01-10-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How long does this feeling last?

It has been two weeks since I stopped drinking. I went through Alcohol withdrawal. I thought things were getting better but today I woke up with Anxiety and feelings of hopelessness. In the afternoon I felt like I was back to normal and now I am having the Anxiety feeling really strongly again.

Is this normal for someone that has quit drinking? Will I ever get through this?

I really thought I was better!!!
Old 01-10-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think a lot of us can suffer with anxiety that doesn't seem to be related to anything for a while Bob...I know I did, tho I was anxious before I ever took my first drink.

I think 2 weeks is still pretty early on.

D
Old 01-10-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think a lot of us can suffer with anxiety that doesn't seem to be related to anything for a while Bob...I know I did, tho I was anxious before I ever took my first drink.

I think 2 weeks is still pretty early on.

D
Thanks Dee, I never had these problems before. I only drank at night and didn't need to drink during the day to help Anxiety.

I just don't understand it, one minute I feel great and then the next I have this Anxiety.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm not sure but I definitely hear you. Hang in there
Old 01-10-2013, 05:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

if it's worrying you, why not see a Dr, Bob?

D
Old 01-10-2013, 05:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Bob,
I think it takes some time for our nervous systems to get back to "normal". I definitely felt less anxious a couple weeks after quitting but today I have experienced some anxiety. Probably due to other things going on in my life. But still...we have to learn how to deal with things sober and there's a lot of emotions that pop up. I find a nice walk, soak in the tub and distracting myself by reading, watching tv, posting on here etc helps greatly. Congrats on 2 weeks!
Old 01-10-2013, 05:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by quitforme79 View Post
Hey Bob,
I think it takes some time for our nervous systems to get back to "normal". I definitely felt less anxious a couple weeks after quitting but today I have experienced some anxiety. Probably due to other things going on in my life. But still...we have to learn how to deal with things sober and there's a lot of emotions that pop up. I find a nice walk, soak in the tub and distracting myself by reading, watching tv, posting on here etc helps greatly. Congrats on 2 weeks!
Thank you Quitforme79, I really appreciate your reply.

I am going to make an appointment tomorrow Dee. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I think everyone's different, but I definitely felt like it was two steps forward and one back for a while. I actually felt pretty good at a week sober, but at around two weeks it was like the fog set in and I had a lot of tiredness, irritability... emotions all over the place.

It could have been because I didn't do anything the first week (?) so I didn't notice it as much, or maybe it was purely physical, idk...... By the third week, I felt like I was making progress again.

It can't hurt talking to a doctor if it worries you. Hang in there - I hope you feel better soon!:ghug3
Old 01-10-2013, 09:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Exercise

Whenever I feel anxiety, I put on my boots and go for a walk. Breathing deeply and concentrating on each step and before I realize it, the anxiety is gone.

2 weeks isnt very long, compared to how long you have been using alcohol, right? I had been drinking daily for 35 years when I stopped and after 6 months sober I am still feeling anxious at times. These feelings will lessen with time, so keep focused on your sobriety.

One thing is for sure, if you go back to your old ways it will be even worse!

Congratulations on 2 weeks!
Old 01-11-2013, 05:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you very much Artsoul & Hope4life, your posts really help me understand that this is all part of this process and I am not losing my mind.

I slept ok last night. I woke up around 3 am with a little anxiety, or what I have come to believe is anxiety. I was laying there and was trying to understand the feeling I was having. I came up with; it feels like when I had to give a speech or class in front of a lot of people. I don't like getting in front of large groups of people to give speeches. The night before something like that I would feel the way I have been feeling with the withdrawal.

Is that what anxiety is? I guess what makes it so hard for me to deal with is that there is no reason for it. I am not worried about anything, it just comes on. If I had a speech to give I would understand the feeling, and although I wouldn't like it, it wouldn't bother me the way it has been now.

Have a little anxiety now, going to take a shower and go for a walk.

Anyone who can relate I am all ears! I am making an appointment with a doctor today. Thanks all!
Old 01-11-2013, 11:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Made an appointment for Monday. It can't come to soon! I just can't fight these thoughts that I should be getting better by now. 3 days ago I cooked a huge dinner for my family and felt GREAT!!! Now I feel close to the firsts days of withdrawal with Anxiety for no reason??????? I actually have nothing to worry about at the moment yet I have this Anxiety!!! And my appetite is gone. It was gone the first week but came back strong. Now it's gone! Blood Pressure and pulse are all good.

I will never drink again. I just hope I can get through this!
Old 01-11-2013, 11:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I understand as well. For 20 years drinking and think that after 6 months I should be ok. In fact I had an anxiety "attack" yesterday. Out of the blue, having a good day and blam! Broke down. I think we can attest to what the others are saying, give it time. Congrats on your sober time Bob!
Old 01-11-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bob22 View Post
Made an appointment for Monday. It can't come to soon! I just can't fight these thoughts that I should be getting better by now. 3 days ago I cooked a huge dinner for my family and felt GREAT!!! Now I feel close to the firsts days of withdrawal with Anxiety for no reason??????? I actually have nothing to worry about at the moment yet I have this Anxiety!!! And my appetite is gone. It was gone the first week but came back strong. Now it's gone! Blood Pressure and pulse are all good.

I will never drink again. I just hope I can get through this!
Hi Bob,

The fact that you are seeing your doctor Monday should ease some of your anxiety. He will prescribe something for that, I hope. In the meantime these feelings are just par for the course, your body and mind are trying to dry out without the constant flow of a depressant. Yea, that will make you anxious "out of the Blue"--just roll with it , it is normal. Really.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Slept great! Woke up and the tingling weak anxiety feeling is in full force. Also have no appetite.

God I have to take your word for it Trix but I really feel I should be over this by now. What a nightmare!
Old 01-12-2013, 05:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

Get to 30 days sobriety and keep healing.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

How long have you been without a drink? And what are you doing for your recovery Bob?
Old 01-12-2013, 06:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
How long have you been without a drink? And what are you doing for your recovery Bob?
Hi Sapling. I don't want anything to drink. I am just trying to get through this Anxiety feeling. I have had great days and thought it was over but now it is back again. I haven't had a drink in 18 days.

I went to an AA meeting and it was great. I was just looking in the book for another meeting today. I am going to a alcohol Dr./Counselor on Monday.

My only problem right now is this Anxiety feeling. I don't know how to describe it. Feels like tingling, low current running through my body. This feeling is what is giving me the Anxiety and Worry that I won't be right.

If I could just get it in my head that this is the process and is normal for Alcohol withdrawal and sometime in the next couple weeks it will get better I would be fine. The fact that I was feeling 100% two days ago and now feel like this has me really worried.

I will never drink again to disrupt my nervous system and have to go through this. Never!!!!
Old 01-12-2013, 06:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I know we are all different Bob...But I can only honestly tell you I needed more than 18 days and one AA meeting before feeling anywhere close to normal. I don't know your drinking history...But I drank daily for 35 years and I had to put in some work to get out of that hole...I also needed that dirty little four letter word...TIME....Things I Must Earn. If AA is the path you want to take...Commit to it....If it's not...Commit to something else...I had to put in the time on my recovery that I put into my drinking...Turns out I only needed half the time.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you so much Sapling!
Old 01-12-2013, 06:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The one thing I have learned in my year and a half in AA that is 100% true is...You get out of it...What you put into it....And so much more.