SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Bah humbug (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/275450-bah-humbug.html)

lilgolden73 11-24-2012 07:43 AM

Bah humbug

SO, my holiday season is just fab, my inlaws decided to disown us and I decided to disown my own family.....ain't life grand? Actually, I am "on a break" from my family, crazy people.....and I am sane..right?? LMAO!!! Anywho, my life has changed so much these past few years, I am trying to work on new traditions, but wish I didn't have too. The good news is I have remained sober! I had a planned to drink one night last week, while driving to the market, I thought I would get me one of those little boxes of wine and that was it, but ended up picking up what I needed and skipping the wine isle :) :) . I drove to where I thought an AA meeting was last Tuesday and waited for other cars that never showed up lol, SO....I guess maybe another time I hope! Anyway, I am TRYING to not be so pissed off this holiday season, but some days are better than others. Love to all my SR folks!

MidnightBlue 11-24-2012 07:47 AM

Hi, Lola.

Great job. I think it's just ten times harder for you to stay sober in Italy, with all this fine wine around. I remember my trip to Italy during Xmas days, all this great food, wine... Aaaaa.

My best wishes to you. Stay strong and determined.

lilgolden73 11-24-2012 07:55 AM

awe, midnight...I would totally agree with that :) I am trying to stay strong!

Dee74 11-24-2012 01:53 PM

Stick with your SR family Lola :)

D

Anna 11-24-2012 01:57 PM

Lola, I'm sorry that it's tough for you now.

I hope you find some happy and fun ways to get through the holidays.

MycoolFitz 11-24-2012 01:58 PM

So I live alone with no family within a couple thousand miles my mom wants me to get an xmas tree I might just ttell her I did why would I want to stare at a decorated tree by myself? Hang in there.

lilgolden73 11-24-2012 02:27 PM

Thanks guys....and Fitz, I remember not putting up a tree cuz I was so down in the dumps :(:(

Rose2012 11-24-2012 02:52 PM

I think it's great you skipped the wine aisle. :)
I have disowned my family completely actually, they were quite toxic and it affected me badly. I like the SR family much better :)

Dee74 11-24-2012 02:54 PM

^ me too

D

Fernaceman 11-24-2012 02:59 PM

Sorry you are having a tough go, Lola. Your twin is here for you! I'll be your punching bag if you'd like! :)

lilgolden73 11-24-2012 03:37 PM

lol Fern.....no one wants to be on the receiving end when I start swinging. I just hate that I have to say goodbye to everything and everyone I've ever known, its part of gods plan for me I suppose, but it hurts like hell!

Pondlady 11-24-2012 04:44 PM

Glad you were able to pass up the wine:) This time of year is tough, lots of raised expectations about family. Hang in there!

lilgolden73 11-24-2012 06:29 PM

Thanks PL....I was thinking that earlier, I need to lower my expectations for sure...

Rose2012 11-24-2012 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by lilgolden73 (Post 3687027)
lol Fern.....no one wants to be on the receiving end when I start swinging. I just hate that I have to say goodbye to everything and everyone I've ever known, its part of gods plan for me I suppose, but it hurts like hell!

Though I disowned them all for good reason, I still mourned them as though they were dead. It did hurt like hell because it was all of them at once. I knew I could never allow them back into my life anymore, but there's always a part of you that only remembers the good stuff and you get nostalgic. It took me a while to release the guilt of doing that, but it was the best decision I've ever made.

lilgolden73 11-24-2012 06:54 PM

Thanks Rose....that's exactly how I feel, I'm grieving them...but I need to let them go :(

Rose2012 11-24-2012 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by lilgolden73 (Post 3687296)
Thanks Rose....that's exactly how I feel, I'm grieving them...but I need to let them go :(

Just remember it won't happen overnight. It's a loss, even if it is for the best. I disowned my family in 2004, and because my friends were also my sister's friends, they became collateral damage so to speak. So overnight I lost my family and friends, of course, it was my choice, but it had to be done. It took me years to work up doing it though. There were times I wanted to contact one or the other, but I had to resist, and now I'm glad I did. But you said you're making new traditions right? Building new memories...that's really a good thing! I haven't celebrated a holiday since that time, but I was actually thinking of getting a Christmas tree this year...maybe I'm ready to have Christmas again.
:)

Delilah1 11-24-2012 07:01 PM

Hi Lola,

You still have lots of people who love you on here, me being one of them! I am sorry things are tough right now. I think making new traditions and building new memories will help. Remember you are a strong and amazing mom.

Also, you skipped the wine aisle, and I know how difficult that is!!

Sending hugs. :)

krs1 11-24-2012 07:14 PM

keep your chin up you can do it:) hugs to you~~

lilgolden73 11-25-2012 02:01 AM

Thanks everyone! Its really hard to let go of everyone and everything I have ever known :(:(, Thanks for the much needed support!

FreeFall 11-25-2012 09:11 AM

Lola sorry it is all happening at once around the holidays. It's hard to let go but sometimes it's the only thing to do. Stay strong!

Fitz, I always had a tree when I lived alone. I loved the lights, made things very cozy and comforting. This year I am trying to figure out how to have lights and a kitten at the same time lol