SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Mother of a great 18 month old baby :( (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/270574-mother-great-18-month-old-baby.html)

TodayisGood 10-09-2012 03:38 PM

Best wishes Emhow84. SR helped me quit drinking. I have learned a lot and the honesty in these posts is incredibly touching to me. You can quit. You can do it. Keep reading about withdrawal.

SlimSlim 10-09-2012 03:40 PM

Emhow:

I did not intend to hurt your feelings.

Part of alcoholism is that we tend to gloss over our problems. In my previous post I said it was your addictive voice or the disease of alcoholism speaking. There was another thread posted today by a mother of two young children who also sees herself as a good mother. The alcoholic mind will justify whatever it needs to in order to continue drinking.

There are a lot of things that we alcoholics have to face, some of which are not pretty or pleasant to think about. I have no doubt that you love your baby and do the best that you can, however your best will be infinitely better when you are sober, especially when it comes to dealing with a now mobile infant.

Given that no one had yet addressed this, I felt it would be irresponsible of me not to bring it it.

If the doctor does clear you for detox at home, please make sure that you have someone to help you with your baby. If you start to have major complications, you want to be sure that both you and your baby have help right there for you. If you need more information about possible complications in withdrawal, please ask here on the forum for it.

I hope other parents who have gotten sober with young children will chime in here to lend you advice.

Good luck with your doctor's appointment tomorrow.

Impurrfect 10-09-2012 03:53 PM

((Emhow)) - Welcome to SR! Though not an alcoholic, I am a recovering addict. I did things I was not proud of, have had posts that hurt my feelings. I did often find, in hindsight, it was because the subject was just to sensitive to me, at the time, but not always. Sometimes, it just wasn't what I wanted or needed to hear.

I hope you continue to read and post. You obviously want to change, and that's what brought me here to SR. The best advice I ever got here was "take what you need, leave the rest".

Hugs and prayers,

Amy

Emhow84 10-09-2012 04:39 PM

Sorry that I responded like that. I really do appreciate everyone's posts and help...I am just overly sensitive to begin with and just have a lot going on I guess. Thanks so much to everyone, even you slim. I understand you were trying to help. I just guess I'm not ready to hear that yet. Ill try to take things to my head and not my heart from now on.

SlimSlim 10-09-2012 04:42 PM

(((Slim)))

The first step is the hardest one...and you taken it!

Hevyn 10-09-2012 05:12 PM

I'm so glad you didn't leave emhow. It's scary times when we're first trying to get sober - our emotions are so raw. We all care about you.

hope5543 10-09-2012 05:23 PM

you love your son and you are seeking help. You are admitting you need help. Great big first steps! I agree a dr. can help you. You are in the right place, taking the first step. Hugs!

jennikate 10-09-2012 05:50 PM

Hi,

Sounds like you have a lot on your plate right now with a young child and husband in the navy. I assume he's not on deployment? I'm glad that although the previous post initially hurt your feelings and probably pride, you have been able to rise above it to see that all of us have the best of intentions. You are one of us and we worry about you and of course your baby. I'm glad you will be seeking medical help. Detoxing can be very dangerous and going it alone could be disasterous for you and the baby. Once you get through that, do you have a plan for continued sobriety? I, like ebshot above, live very near you and feel like AA has saved my life. There are many good meetings in the area. Feel free to PM me if you'd like. I feel like AA has saved my life and encourage you to give it a try.

jennikate

quitforme79 10-09-2012 06:50 PM

I read it all :) You will find a ton of support here. I am a newbie as well and I can say that just reaching out here really can help with many things...cravings, suggestions answers to your questions etc. Keep posting and let us know how you are ((hugs))