Notices

Mother of a great 18 month old baby :(

Old 10-09-2012, 09:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Mother of a great 18 month old baby :(

I'm new here so I guess this is my intro. I'm a mother of one...an 18 month old crazy awesome little boy...I'm a navy wife of a strong trustworthy man...I'm a college graduate. Why am I an alcoholic?! It was a fast progression...I can't blame them, but both of my parents have addictions which always affected my childhood...I didn't drink while pregnant although prior to my husband and I were very light social drinkers and had no issues...I didn't drink until well after I had my son and was living with my parents (who are day drinkers...and at their age I'm not expecting them to change bc it's just who thy are, despite my repeated and sometimes drastic attempts) an even when I drank at that point it was maybe 3 beers a day. It wasn't until I moved away and felt very isolated and lonely (and honestly after I had started taking Celexa) that I became an extreme daily binger. It went from a 6 pack a day...to a 12 pack a day...to a gallon of vodka every other day(drinking all day both days) to a blackout here and there...to a bottle or two of wine...and then here recently back to an 18 pack a day...A DAY!! I'm not a big girl either. When I drink beer I never get drunk. I stopped drinking coffee and replaced it with beer. I'm not trying to impress. I don't think this forum is for that. I need help...I need someone who understands. I need to stop. Today is the day. I've said this before, lasted a few days, and then went right back to my ways. This Hans effected my mothering, I know what people are thinking out there, but it really hasn't. It has effected my relationship, and most certainly my health. So, that's me...sorry this was so long. I'm sure no one read it all anyhow.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow, im glad you found us
Old 10-09-2012, 09:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks...I really am a great mom...I feel so embarraced and ashamed to reach out so maybe this will help. I don't want people to think I'm an evil selfish person
Old 10-09-2012, 09:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nothing to be ashamed about here. You came to the right place for help, most of us have been where you are. Lots of great people with a ton of experience with success at sobriety. Sobriety really is a great thing...
Old 10-09-2012, 09:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks. Today is day one again. So I need all the help I can get.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm on day 80, so not a long term guy yet. But I was told the following very early in my sobriety: " forgive yourself. What's in the past is just that, the past. It's over, focus on your recovery, and that starts today". Easier said than done, but getting past my guilt and shame early was an important thing for me to do in focusing on my recovery.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Emhow84,
I read it all and welcome to SR good to have you here!
Old 10-09-2012, 10:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

welcome to sr.i also have a little boy. i'm on day 11 (again) this time is the last. let the past go. concentrte on getting sober-think how much better mom you'll be sober. i have more patience, less irritable, just more present and really enjoy being a mum sober. it might be an idea to see a docfor supervised detox. good luck
Old 10-09-2012, 10:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Did you consider making an appt with your doctor? You are consuming a lot of alcohol and stated you are not a large body mass
Old 10-09-2012, 10:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm not really worried about past damage to my body bc I feel surprisingly fine...I guess maybe you're talking about detox? I have gone a few days without having side effects... When do detox side effects usually start? do you really think I should see a doctor? I don't see what good it would do.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Emhow84 View Post
I'm not really worried about past damage to my body bc I feel surprisingly fine...I guess maybe you're talking about detox? I have gone a few days without having side effects... When do detox side effects usually start? do you really think I should see a doctor? I don't see what good it would do.
hi, yes,detox can be really dangerous-it can kill you. you are going from 18 drinks a day to nothing. not worth taking a chance. at those levels you probably never feel ill/hungover as the alcohol is still in your system so you're not withdrawing-it really kicked in badly at dys 2/3 for me
Old 10-09-2012, 11:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So first, God Bless you for being a navy wife. I have a dear friend who is also and I have always admired her for it!

You said, "I need help...I need someone who understands. I need to stop. Today is the day." SO PERFECT! YOU FOUND THE RIGHT SPOT! That is exactally what SR is for. Continue to read and post and you will find strength.

Glad you are here...
Old 10-09-2012, 11:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Glad you are here. You are not a bad person because you are an alcoholic.. none of us are bad people. We just got wrapped up in something that was stronger than us. You can do this!! I'm over 4 months sober now, and never thought I could do it. Your son already has a father in the military.. he deserves to have his mother there and sober. Best to you!!!
Old 10-09-2012, 11:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Emhow. Welcome to SR. I can relate to much of your post. My husband is in the Navy too (we are in CT too!) and I have kids. The isolation can be overwhelming, especially when you first arrive at a new duty station. Good work on reaching out and realizing that you need to stop. Our insurance will cover treatment if you are interested. Have you thought about AA? There are some great meetings in the New London/Waterford/East Lyme area.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by justhadenough View Post
hi, yes,detox can be really dangerous-it can kill you. you are going from 18 drinks a day to nothing. not worth taking a chance. at those levels you probably never feel ill/hungover as the alcohol is still in your system so you're not withdrawing-it really kicked in badly at dys 2/3 for me
What could the doctors do to help?
Old 10-09-2012, 12:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Emhow84 View Post
What could the doctors do to help?
I think they give you meds to stop serious withdrawals/supervise you. others will know more-it may even be helpful for you if you start a new thread asking about dangers of withdrawals-you'll get more specific advice from people who've been directly affected. good luck
Old 10-09-2012, 12:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Doctors will observe your physical withdrawal symptoms and monitor your vital signs, administering medication as needed to prevent complications.

Alcohol and benzodiazepam withdrawals are the two known substance withdrawals that are potentially fatal. For that reason, it is important to discuss a detox plan with a medical professional, giving full and honest disclosure of your history with alcohol and any other medications.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Dr

Hi & welcome! I've got 3 kids & am on day 1. Don't be ashamed..... You are seeking help!
I would talk to your doctor not only because of detox but maybe you have some postpartum depression going on that's adding to it. I often wonder if that's what made my drinking worse.
Take care!
Old 10-09-2012, 12:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hiya, i'm on day 1 too x
Old 10-09-2012, 01:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks for all of your support! I'm so glad I found SR.