SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   What kind of drinker am I (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/245882-what-kind-drinker-am-i.html)

PurpleCat 01-12-2012 07:15 AM

I don't think it matters what "type" of drinker you are. I don't consider myself an alcoholic, but I do consider myself a problem drinker. It has been causing a lot of problems for me, both metally and health-wise. Therefore, it is worth stopping.

If you feel that it is a problem for you, then stop. What does the label matter anyway?

raindancer11 01-12-2012 07:16 AM

I considered myself a social drinker for a long time but my definition of social drinker kept changing to allow me to drink larger amounts and more often. I could always find someone who drank more than me but seemed normal. You sense something is not right. It's an important first step. Glad you posted.

sugarbear1 01-12-2012 07:17 AM

I just feel likeI took a trip "elsewhere" on Fri/Sat night and am coming back from this otherdark place.

You said this, which is a clue....

Sapling 01-12-2012 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by PurpleCat (Post 3239615)
I don't think it matters what "type" of drinker you are. I don't consider myself an alcoholic, but I do consider myself a problem drinker. It has been causing a lot of problems for me, both metally and health-wise. Therefore, it is worth stopping.

If you feel that it is a problem for you, then stop. What does the label matter anyway?

I consider myself an alcoholic....I think my problem is me.

langkah 01-12-2012 07:33 AM

Were you staying up 'till 4am drinking that much 5 years ago?

Based on the change from then to now, what can you project regarding how you'll be drinking 5 years from now?

Perhaps things will be more clear to you at that point. Maybe even earlier.

augustwest 01-12-2012 11:10 AM

Have you had negative consequences from your drinking? do you feel guilt or shame over the amount you drink?

Everyone i've ever known who thought they might have a problem actually did. But there are definitely people that drink like you who aren't alcoholics, and stop drinking like that eventually.

One things for certain, if you continue drinking you'll know where you stand. It will get worse if you're an alcoholic.

Bool 01-12-2012 11:21 AM

I haven't experienced negative consequences, but I do think about how many beer I drank the night before and think it's a little much for one evening.

As far as progression goes, I was doing the same thing 5 years ago, 10 years ago, even 15 years ago when I was still in the nightclub/bar thing with buddies, etc. Always on the weekends and only during the evening/night hours. Never during the day, never during the week. It's the same pattern today as it was then.

I really believe it's in check but I really believe I have somewhat of a problem with it as well. I'm asking myself, why do I drink an 18 pack on Fri/Sat nights. I won't drink and just sit on the couch, I need to be doing a project or something productive while I drink (on my own). Don't know if this has anything to do with it.

To sum it up I agree with everyone that 'alcoholic' is nothing but a slanderous label; there are varying degrees with alcohol consumption and each individual can assess their situation as they please. Removing the label is important, because it's just there to hurt someone who drinks. You could slap the label on someone who drinks 5 cases a week or one glass of wine a night. It's all alcohol consumption, just at differing levels.

I know I'm in check but I also think there's a potential problem here that needs to be monitored with myself. I grew up with a Dad with a very similar drinking pattern, although his was far worse. So I've been exposed to it. Thank you for the help everyone this is a great resource

augustwest 01-12-2012 11:27 AM

If you think it's a problem then don't do it, and see what happens. That might tell you a lot. When my normal friends decide to not drink this weekend it's as simple as deciding not to go to the movies. They make a decision and move on to the next thing. I was incapable of such things. I told myself i wasn't going to drink today for years before it actually happened.

Pigtails 01-12-2012 11:31 AM

When I read the medical definitions of "problem drinker" and "alcohol-dependent/addicted", I'm like huh? I guess both of them describe me in some ways, and both of them don't, in some ways.

To me it is a very personal decision, and the definition or classification isn't even important. To me it comes down to how alcohol affects me and my life. On that point I've decided (had no choice but to face the truth, really) that alcohol affects me and my life very badly. It doesn't mean I needed to drink it every single day, or drink a lot every single time I drank, or even that every time I drank it, I was negatively affected. For me it means that overall it was slowly eroding the quality of my life, until in the end, I was a depressed, confused, crazy wreck. Alcohol had become my coping mechanism and my escape from reality, but all the while, it was making my reality worse. :(

To me, the negatives of drinking alcohol greatly outweigh the positives, and the "positives" seem false. For instance, a positive could be that it allows me to loosen up and relax around other people and be more social. But that's not the real me, it's just the alcohol taking over, and the same alcohol can turn on me and make me a worse personality, or cause me to do things I regret or that are dangerous. And I should feel comfortable enough in my own skin, which requires looking at myself and working on myself and loving myself... none of which can be done while drinking or suffering the effects of drinking.

So, I just think of myself as someone who doesn't drink no matter what. I don't really care whether I am an alcoholic or a problem drinker or a binge drinker or alcohol dependent... I think I am kind of all of the above, but the big thing is that my life is much better off without alcohol in it, so, I just don't drink. :) I hope this helps. Best wishes.

augustwest 01-12-2012 11:53 AM

it's gotta be kind of confusing for those who don't exhibit all the symptoms. I have a lot of respect for the people that stop before they're certain of where exactly they stand. For me it had to become brutally obvious what i am before i'd do anything about it. chemical dependence on drugs and alcohol, major negative life consequences, horrible physical withdrawals, total obsession to drink and use drugs, erosion of moral fiber...

Anna 01-12-2012 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bool (Post 3239209)
I see my drinking as "scheduled", meaning that I allocate Fri-Sat nights for it after the kids go to bed. It never, ever spills outside of this time, so I really do believe I'm in control of when and where I drink.

I don't label others issues either, but I found your comment interesting. You said you go to sleep at 3 or 4am on weekends and sleep 8 - 10 hours. That has you getting up around Noon or later. Do you think your children might enjoy spending more time with you on the weekends?

Bool 01-13-2012 08:20 AM

I also have a problem with sleeping patterns since childhood that is seperate from alcohol consumption. It's another issue I'm trying to address as well. I take care of my kids all week so we have plenty of good time together. This is besides the point of myself addressing my drinking issue, though.

Bool 01-13-2012 08:21 AM

I also have a problem with sleeping patterns since childhood that is seperate from alcohol consumption. It's another issue I'm trying to address as well. I take care of my kids all week so we have plenty of good time together. This is besides the point of myself addressing my drinking issue, though.

sugarbear1 01-13-2012 08:51 AM

Sleep issues from childhood, yup!

Last night I heard a speaker tape. He said, "What makes me an alcoholic is how I feel before I drink and how I feel after I drink; I drank to change how I felt."

Stay stopped, your sleep patterns will be better/healthy.

Have you considered AA? The steps, specifically 4-7, changed everything negative in my life to a positive. No fear or anxiety, sleep is great, you name it!

sugarbear1 01-13-2012 08:58 AM

you don't need to drink daily, drink during the morning, drink before 10, 9, 8, 7, 6 pm or have negative consequences to drink alcoholically. And try early exercise and earlier bedtime to address sleep patterns, your family needs you awake! Get up at the same time every day, eat healthy foods, no tv/computer/cell phone 1 hour before sleep....sleep problems have their own set of solutions. For me, it was living with fears & anxiety that didn't let me sleep well.

Bool 01-13-2012 09:00 AM

The way I sleep is seperate from drinking alcohol. It's something that I've struggled with from my early teens. There were a few instances in the past 2 years where I went several months without drinking and it had no bearing on the way I slept, it's a different problem that I also feel I need to face. Don't want to sound like I'm in denial or anything as I'm open to all input. But seeing as I'm the person who knows me best , the way i drink and the way I sleep are not related. Quitting drinking altogether will not change the way and times I sleep.

soberlicious 01-13-2012 12:17 PM

Bool...something brought you to this question. Something about your drinking is bothering you. Don't look to others to validate or not. Examine deeply and honestly.

Pigtails 01-13-2012 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Bool (Post 3241058)

Hi, I don't know if this helps you, but, I have a sleep disorder (adult night terrors) and have irregular sleeping problems that are not only caused by the disorder but also exacerbate it! It's like a cyclical problem. To me I find that it is related to my drinking, and my drinking is related to it, because I am one person and everything in my life is related to everything else, if that makes sense. I have had the night terrors since I was 12 years old, and didn't drink until I was 18, so, clearly I'm not saying that I have night terrors because I drink, or I drink because I have night terrors. But my disorder is caused by anxiety/stress and my reaction to it... it is part of my personality and who I am/ how I deal with life. I feel similar things about my drinking problem. So addressing all of it is critical for me, and looking at it as an entire package rather than separate issues. I have found that I have less anxiety/stress, and a better reaction to it, when I don't drink and when I work a recovery program. Also I need to take action to correct my sleep issues to the best of my ability, just like I need to take action to correct my drinking problem. To me the same concepts apply to every issue, so that I can become a better person. Best wishes.

kla 01-13-2012 12:23 PM

Your story sounds very familiar to me. Starting in my mid twenties, for the next 10 years I drank a LOT of beer, almost every weekend. But I never craved alcohol during the week, if I had my car, was able to drink 3-4 beers and stop - and maybe out of 1,000 times getting drunk, there were half dozen that I did or said something I regretted, but no major consequences; useless every Monday, but otherwise no complaints.

When I hit 35, my health started to decline. My liver enzymes were elevated, and cholesterol high. After six months abstaining, blood tests back to normal -but doctor advised if I went back to my weekend binges, my liver was very much at risk. So I cut back to once a month. But now, my hangovers lasted until Tuesday, and instead of embarrasing myself once out of every 150 times I drank, it was more like once out of every three times. So in 2011, decided to cut it back to five times for the year. It didn't go all that well. Now my hangovers were lasting until Wednesday or Thursday, and I regretted my actions four out of the five times. Was this simply a result of getting older, or was alcohol was getting a tighter grip on me, the less I used it; the opposite of what I hoped for? Not sure, but I didn't want to find out, and decided I won't be getting drunk in 2012.

reason I share this is that I know when you read some of the stories here, about the difficulties people are facing, it might make you think you're in better shape than you actually are. I have an older brother in AA, and a couple friends who I've seen really struggle with addiction. I think I've looked at them in the past, and thought, oh, lucky me, since I'm not that bad, I must have no problem. But now I think perhaps I was kidding myself the whole time.

Pigtails 01-13-2012 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Bool (Post 3241119)
The way I sleep is seperate from drinking alcohol. It's something that I've struggled with from my early teens. There were a few instances in the past 2 years where I went several months without drinking and it had no bearing on the way I slept, it's a different problem that I also feel I need to face. Don't want to sound like I'm in denial or anything as I'm open to all input. But seeing as I'm the person who knows me best , the way i drink and the way I sleep are not related. Quitting drinking altogether will not change the way and times I sleep.

What we're trying to say is it's not just about quitting drinking-- the physical act of drinking-- it's about addressing why you have sleep problems and changing certain aspects of your personality/reactions to life for the better, and taking action... all of which you need to stop drinking to be able to do. Believe me, I have been there... I have tried not drinking alcohol, not drinking caffeine, etc. for periods of time and always still had night terrors. To some extent I will probably always have night terrors. However, they are much improved when I not only stayed stopped from drinking, but also look at/work on myself to overcome the issues that caused me to drink AND that caused me to have sleep problems. Just give it a try, it can't hurt, right? Stay stopped from drinking AND work a program of recovery, which means commitment and action, and see if your sleep problems improve. :) Since it's something you haven't tried before in this capacity, it just might work!! It sure has for me so far.