SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   What kind of drinker am I (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/245882-what-kind-drinker-am-i.html)

Bool 01-11-2012 10:03 PM

What kind of drinker am I

Hi everyone.

I'd appreciate anyone's comments or thoughts as to what type of drinker I fall under (social drinker/binge drinker/alcoholic/fully dependant) etc.

Sun-Mon- no desire to drink, never drink on these days
Fri-Sat- will drink up to 8 beer per evening

I will typically drink up to 8 beer per evening, starting usually around 10 or 11pm and go until around 3 or 4am.

Will typically wake up fine, but only after having slept for 8-10 hours. It eats into my Saturdays and Sundays but a hangover is rare.

Will never drink if there is an obligation the next day (work, social function, kids' party, etc, etc.)

Am able to drink 1 or 2 beer and stop if I know I need to stop (if I'm driving, or I'm only staying for a few hours, etc.) As long as I set my plans before drinking I have no problems at all stopping after a few drinks.

I see my drinking as "scheduled", meaning that I allocate Fri-Sat nights for it after the kids go to bed. It never, ever spills outside of this time, so I really do believe I'm in control of when and where I drink. Finding myself drinking randomly on a Tuesday afternoon for example, is something I've never done, nor can I see doing.

My only concerns is why do I find myself drinking this many beer on weekend nights. It is a real concern, because it led me here. After 2 months or so, I'll end up with several empty cases of beer and look at it and say wow, there seems to be a problem here.

Just wondering what any of you might determine my drinking pattern as. Is it normal, acceptable drinking, or would it be considered binge drinking/alcoholism, etc. Thanks for everyone's help.

sugarbear1 01-11-2012 10:24 PM

a periodic or binge drinker. alcoholic, your decision.

2010SilverIce 01-11-2012 10:34 PM

Since you came here, Do you feel you have a problem with your alcohol consumption?

BTW, Welcome!!

Mike

Bool 01-11-2012 10:36 PM

Thanks Sugarbear.

I have a hard time deciding what defines 'alcoholic'.

is it someone who drinks every day all day long... or is it someone who drinks every day, all day but limits their consumption to 1 drink per 2 hours... or Is it 4 beers every night of the week.. is it 16 beer on fri/sat only.. is it one binge per month ending in a hangover the next day...

I don't think there's any real way to define it except for the individual to decide on their own (as you have mentioned).

I can agree with myself being a binge drinker. Alcoholic, I don't know, seeing as at the present time I feel in total control of when/where/how much..

..but being a binge drinker who lets go and drinks every fri/sat night in a scheduled manner makes me think i could still be alcoholic.

Dee74 01-11-2012 10:39 PM

Welcome Bool :)

I never categorise others :)

For me alcoholism is not so much how much I drink or how often, but what happens to me when I do....

I think it's often more useful simply to ask yourself - is my drinking causing me problems?
If so, then what am I prepared to do about that?

You'll find a lot of support here :)
good to have you with us :)

D

sugarbear1 01-11-2012 10:55 PM

For me, it's when I want one beer, but I don't stop until 6 or more are gone. For me, I stopped drinking liquor because it seriously brought out rage, then I would blackout, then passout.

For me, I drank because it made me feel normal, slow down my thoughts, change my mood.

I am college educated, honors graduate, awesome at my profession. Emotionally, I was immature, shy , self-conscious, always feeling less than everyone. Alcohol changed my self view and my surroundings.
It was never how much or how often. I always looked forward to my drink.
Not sure this helps you. I'm a few days shy of 8 months of continuous sobriety from ALL mind altering substances (alcohol & my love, weed). I'm not angry, shy, nor fearful today. Ok, normal fears, but definitely not the perso. I had been.

sugarbear1 01-11-2012 10:56 PM

I use a mobile phone, please excuse my typo's (thumbo's)!

Bool 01-11-2012 10:56 PM

Thanks so much Dee.

I can honestly say that drinking isn't causing me any problems thus far, but I do feel guilt a few days after.

I find that my usual Fri/Sat night routine is easy to get over (in a hangover sense). This accounts for 90% of my drinking.

The other 10% of my drinking happens at parties, social functions or other gatherings where everyone is drinking, and i tend to go harder sometimes.

It's these times that I have a hard time recovering from: not from a hangover, but from a mental point of view, meaning that it's so much harder to get 'back to the grind' Monday morning. I just find it hard to get moving again and it often takes me 3 days to feel totally normal. There was no hangover or anything, I just feel like I took a trip "elsewhere" on Fri/Sat night and am coming back from this other dark place. I hope this makes sense. I find that I don't have this 'odd' feeling at the start of a new work week if I stayed sober on the weekend. It's a mental thing I suppose.

It's not causing me any family/social problems or anything, and as I said I have no problem staying sober when required (something of importance the next day, etc.) I have never craved alcohol.

I'm just wondering if I'm at a level of drinking which can stay at this level throughout my life or am I likely to spiral at some point for whatever given reason, seeing that alcoholism is progressive. Right now I feel it's in check, even though I think 8 beer per night is a little much. So I'm kind of in caution mode right now.

If I tell myself I'm not drinking this weekend, I can do it easily. But I find it a waste of time knowing that I can do it, so I just drink it.

If I didn't have a drinking problem then why do I drink like this on weekends, even though it's in a scheduled manner.

I'm thinking that if I was drinking 3 or 4 beer per Fri/Sat night I wouldn't be concerned. But since it's twice that, maybe that's where my concern comes in.

sugarbear1 01-11-2012 11:06 PM

My friend drinks half a beer and is silly & a bit under the influence. Then he's done fdrinking for the night! I don't understand that.

My other friend is a heavier drinker. No real consequences.

My drinking, which started at 3 beers every Friday & Saturday, progressively became worse over 35 years. I needed more to get the same feeling that I once got from 3. In an alcohol induced moment, I tried crack. Bad move.

No one can predict another's future, including one's own. I suggest you listen to aa speakers (xa-speakers) to see if you can relate. Or, try stopping for 90 days, just to see if you can.

FLA 01-11-2012 11:10 PM

It sounds like your a normal drinker who likes a buzz on the weekend to unwind. Geez after one weekend with me you'd find 4 cases of beer and bottles. Sure they say 1-2 units is safe to drink in one sitting, but in my eyes if your not craving alcohol or needing it to function then your not a alcoholic and it seems like your not. I wouldn't worry about it. Just don't let it cross that line into your work and family, then you have a problem.

NewBeginning010 01-12-2012 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Bool (Post 3239209)
Hi everyone.

I'd appreciate anyone's comments or thoughts as to what type of drinker I fall under (social drinker/binge drinker/alcoholic/fully dependant) etc.

Sun-Mon- no desire to drink, never drink on these days
Fri-Sat- will drink up to 8 beer per evening

I will typically drink up to 8 beer per evening, starting usually around 10 or 11pm and go until around 3 or 4am.

Will typically wake up fine, but only after having slept for 8-10 hours. It eats into my Saturdays and Sundays but a hangover is rare.

Will never drink if there is an obligation the next day (work, social function, kids' party, etc, etc.)

Am able to drink 1 or 2 beer and stop if I know I need to stop (if I'm driving, or I'm only staying for a few hours, etc.) As long as I set my plans before drinking I have no problems at all stopping after a few drinks.

I see my drinking as "scheduled", meaning that I allocate Fri-Sat nights for it after the kids go to bed. It never, ever spills outside of this time, so I really do believe I'm in control of when and where I drink. Finding myself drinking randomly on a Tuesday afternoon for example, is something I've never done, nor can I see doing.

My only concerns is why do I find myself drinking this many beer on weekend nights. It is a real concern, because it led me here. After 2 months or so, I'll end up with several empty cases of beer and look at it and say wow, there seems to be a problem here.

Just wondering what any of you might determine my drinking pattern as. Is it normal, acceptable drinking, or would it be considered binge drinking/alcoholism, etc. Thanks for everyone's help.

Hi Bool,

I took a look at your first post here & I would say there could be an area of concern to look at based on this part of your first post

"getting smashed on a Friday night then spending all Saturday recovering.. and wondering what the heck I did the night before and feeling embarrassed over some of the things I have done during those one-nighters.."

I was a black out drinker, not fun. Started my drinking career on the weekends just like most of us. Alcoholism is a progressive disease. You can do just as much damage by being a binge drinker that is drinking to the point of passing out (on weekends only) as a day to day drinker.

As Dee & others have said, only you know if its causing problems in your life. Why not go 90 days without it & see how you feel? My life has gotten so much better in every way since giving this poison up. I used to crunch the numbers (how many how often, percentages etc.) & tried to justify my drinking with being highly functional, professional... blah blah blah.... I drank too much & always wanted more than one, many more ;-)

I am now very happy with the realization that I cant drink anymore. Such a relief to finally give in & live on :scoregood

Take care & all of the best to you ~ NB :ring

Dee74 01-12-2012 01:41 AM

The other 10% of my drinking happens at parties, social functions or other gatherings where everyone is drinking, and i tend to go harder sometimes.

It's these times that I have a hard time recovering from: not from a hangover, but from a mental point of view, meaning that it's so much harder to get 'back to the grind' Monday morning. I just find it hard to get moving again and it often takes me 3 days to feel totally normal. There was no hangover or anything, I just feel like I took a trip "elsewhere" on Fri/Sat night and am coming back from this other dark place. I hope this makes sense. I find that I don't have this 'odd' feeling at the start of a new work week if I stayed sober on the weekend. It's a mental thing I suppose.

I think 8 beer per night is a little much.

If I tell myself I'm not drinking this weekend, I can do it easily. But I find it a waste of time knowing that I can do it, so I just drink it.

If I didn't have a drinking problem then why do I drink like this on weekends, even though it's in a scheduled manner.

I'm thinking that if I was drinking 3 or 4 beer per Fri/Sat night I wouldn't be concerned. But since it's twice that, maybe that's where my concern comes in.
wouldn't you call these problems tho, Bool?

D

jocata 01-12-2012 02:57 AM

Hey Bool, welcome.

If you feel you may have an issue, try stopping totally, even on weekends.

For me, I didn't think about the things you originally posted until it was too late. I crossed that line over into alcoholism at some point.

The fact that you are questioning your drinking patterns is a good thing. You have the presence of mind to do something about it before you cross that line that we alcoholics sprint over without ever realizing.

Try the "no drinking at all" experiment for awhile. If you are not an alcoholic, it shouldn't be a problem.

God bless.

Sapling 01-12-2012 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Bool (Post 3239209)
After 2 months or so, I'll end up with several empty cases of beer and look at it and say wow, there seems to be a problem here.

Hey Bool...This kind of sums it up for me. When I thought alcohol might be a problem for me...I was right.

flutter 01-12-2012 05:13 AM

I'd second the suggestion of stopping completely for a few months and see how you feel about it. Problem drinker or not, I think it's good to think about now rather than later!

soberwingz 01-12-2012 05:39 AM

I see my drinking as "scheduled"
I saw my drinking "scheduled" in the beginning too. I guess at that point early in my drinking career it was a subtle way of trying to exercise some control over my drinking.

In college I scheduled drinking for weekends. After college I scheduled drinking only after 5pm on some week days. After that I scheduled drinking after 1pm on weekdays...

End story I scheduled drinking every day for countless years...

The fact that you are here suggests that you may have concerns about your drinking habits.

I kinda have a sense that since your drinking is "scheduled" that you have control over it. I thought that way too. Fast forward 20 years and I was drinking every day and felt hopeless to ever break the cycle.

Im glad you are taking a moment to consider the relationship drinking has in your life. Thanks for sharing with us, and keep us posted with how things go for you.

aeo1313 01-12-2012 06:27 AM

Bool- I have very similar drinking pattern as you. I get drunk most every friday/saturday night. Although my kids see me drunk and I wake up the next day feeling like crap and wondering what stupid thing I did. I can also limit myself to 1 or 2 drinks if I really try. I don't understand drinking 1 or 2 drinks though- the only reason I drink is to get drunk. I'm not drinking for at least 30 days to see how life is without it. Not happy about it, but doing it anyway. I suffer from depression and the weekend drinking isn't helping.

dorito281211 01-12-2012 06:37 AM

IMO you need to stop drinking and reacess where you are, you seem to be concerned about your drinking, therefore you probably have a problem, but not always the case. Twenty Questions of AA That helped decide I was alcoholic Help for Alcoholics alcoholism addiction treatment and recovery
That's where it all started for me and woke me up. There is lots of good info there (and this site of course).
Good luck to you :)

bluemuppet 01-12-2012 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by aeo1313 (Post 3239536)
Bool- I have very similar drinking pattern as you. I get drunk most every friday/saturday night. Although my kids see me drunk and I wake up the next day feeling like crap and wondering what stupid thing I did. I can also limit myself to 1 or 2 drinks if I really try. I don't understand drinking 1 or 2 drinks though- the only reason I drink is to get drunk. I'm not drinking for at least 30 days to see how life is without it. Not happy about it, but doing it anyway. I suffer from depression and the weekend drinking isn't helping.

Seems to me that your kids seeing you drunk is a big fat 'warning, oh my god boom boom loud noises'. If you must, inflict it only on yourself.

FT 01-12-2012 06:55 AM

Bool,

Sometimes it is easier to define what you are doing when looking at it in such a way as to how you would consider it if someone else were doing it. Especially someone you cared about. Like your kids.

Would you "recommend" that your children take up this pattern of drinking that you are demonstrating so well to them?

Yeah, I hear ya, you aren't doing it in front of them. But children are far more observant than you realize, and you are teaching them coping behavior right now, whether you realize you are doing it or not.

If this is not "good behavior", why are you questioning it? After all, "normal drinkers" don't come on to a recovery web site to ask these kinds of questions, nor do they feel the need to examine their drinking "behavior". "Normal" drinkers don't drink on a "schedule" either.

If you can examine yourself under these criteria, I think you will have your own answer without asking us.

FT