SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Reaching Out (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/221247-reaching-out.html)

Reubena 03-03-2011 03:50 AM

Thanks for updating mm, I am so glad things worked out the way they did. Keep your chin up, you're moving in such a positive direction.

Bamboozle 03-03-2011 04:01 AM

Good to hear from you, mm. :)

LexieCat 03-03-2011 04:16 AM

Good news!

See, to me, the very best thing about this whole deal is what artsoul mentioned. The way you handled it was exactly right. Even though you were scared and uncomfortable, you were brave and honest with everyone.

On my fourth day sober, I had a sewer back up into my basement, COMPLETELY flooding it. I even had a neighbor show up at my door with a cold beer that she placed in my hand (which I refused). I dealt with the loss of some treasured possessions (including my late mom's wedding dress and childhood keepsakes). I dealt with insurance adjusters and the fact that my insurance only covered a fraction of the loss. AND I did it without drinking.

I gotta tell ya, anytime things got tough that first year or so, I looked back on that experience and remembered I can deal with anything without drinking.

I have a feeling this experience will be the same kind of deal for you--ultimately proof that you can handle anything, if you just do what you have to do.

Stevie1 03-03-2011 04:42 AM

MM, thank you for the update...you handled that so honestly and well, especially writing everything down.
:scoregood

HideorSeek 03-03-2011 07:32 AM

MM, I am so glad that this worked out well for you. But even more glad, as Artsoul said, that you took responsibility, were honest and recognize that you were grateful for the opportunity to learn from this experience.

I can't remember if you have tried AA in the past, but if not, see this as an opportunity to find recovery in "the rooms". I resisted AA, myself, because of preconceptions, but I have grown to realize that I was unable to help myself and there is a lot of help out there within hands' reach. But they didn't come to me, I had to go to them...with an open mind and a willing heart. This is just my experience. Best of luck to you!

Inafishbowl 03-03-2011 07:47 AM

MM,
I am very happy for you. Something similar happened to me, my last drunk. Same drink, same kind of blackout, different charges. I'm glad I read this after the outcome. I'm a nervous wreck and would have been for you too. I'm also in California.
Keep in touch here. We're both so new. Very happy for you that the worst is over. Also jealous too. :)

bounce777 03-03-2011 10:09 AM

Yes !!

I believe that reaching out is Very Important....especially if we don't know the reason why. Im on day 5 of kicking a 9 year Narcotics Habit.....but I have a History of Alcoholism as well....had my last drink in 1983....I reached out then as well. We just don't want to be alone in this !!!
God Bless !!

gypsytears 03-03-2011 10:20 AM

Hi MM :) Hang in there, it can only get better now that the heaviness of court is off your shoulders. Focus on recovery.

least 03-03-2011 10:29 AM

:hug: :)

mtnmagic 03-03-2011 10:38 AM

Thanks again everyone. Still commited to sobriety. Yeah I know only 24 hours has passed since court, lol!

Fish - I have known of your circumstances through this board and have thought of you many times. Maybe after this is/has been over long enough for both of us, we can find some humor in being wrecked at close to the same time and finding recovery. Then, maybe not.

Gypsy Tears - So nice of you to stop by. I remember you well from when I firsth joined SR. I know you have popped in since. Sure hope life is going well for you!

Stimmed 03-03-2011 02:26 PM

Gfu Magic. Back to sobriety with a lighter load.

GL :-)

Inafishbowl 03-03-2011 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by mtnmagic (Post 2884751)
Fish - I have known of your circumstances through this board and have thought of you many times. Maybe after this is/has been over long enough for both of us, we can find some humor in being wrecked at close to the same time and finding recovery. Then, maybe not.

At some point I'm going to have to find the humor. I'm not quite there yet, but once this is over there is a giggle in there somewhere. The good mother all of about 125lbs kicking her 240lb husband's ass and getting arrested for it. When I've never ever gotten violent in my whole life. There has to be a laugh in there somewhere down the road. Just not so much today. :) I'm very happy for your outcome.

Hevyn 03-03-2011 03:20 PM

I had a feeling it might be ok, mtn - I'm so very glad for you. I was a little concerned that you were defending yourself, but it all worked out - so onward and upward you go!