SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Class of May 2010 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/200098-class-may-2010-a.html)

Dee74 05-03-2010 01:29 PM

It's great to see this group so active :)
Welcome to all you new guys!

D

artsoul 05-03-2010 01:34 PM

Welcome Rondaveu and feel free to ask for all the hugs you want! :ghug3 We DO need all the support we can get right now. Sorry you're not getting what you need from your hubby. (Is he a drinker?) Congrats to you on standing up to the pressure and hanging in there. It will get better.

My last great controlled drinking experiment
Sure do know that one, Draciack! Sounds like a book title or movie!:herewego

Monday evening..... GO TEAM!

AtlasMcGee 05-03-2010 02:15 PM

A little update on day 4...

So, I've told my parents, brother & best friend about how I have chosen to live the sober lifestyle & they all seem to be very supportive--my mom was so happy...haha.

However, I am taking my best friend, her bro & his friend to the airport to catch their 4 a.m. flight to their sis's wedding, I'm also house sitting while they're gone, & they are wanting to drink before leaving. I just hope that they choose to go out and drink, because it'll be hard sitting around the house watching them if they don't. I already told her to not worry about me, I'd just be at the house reading or being on sober recovery like I am at my place if they chose to go out.This sucks...

It'll be fine it'll be fine it'll be fine

Rev 05-03-2010 02:34 PM

This looks like a really great group. The May Flowers? BTW, artsoul, be careful, or you'll end up as the Moses of Alcoholics, leading everyone to the promised land (you are incredibly supportive :D )!

Rev

artsoul 05-03-2010 02:41 PM

That's pretty rough for day 4, Atlas. Is this the same "best friend" you told about getting sober? I hope they don't decide to stay, or that you can leave for the evening.

Just remember that chances are, one or more of them will most likely feel like **** tomorrow. And you won't. Tomorrow will be day 5 and you'll be so happy when you wake up feeling rested and refreshed. Whatever you do, don't let your mind start wandering to "what am I missing" cuz we're not missing anything except in our imagination! Reading is a great idea - do you have a good book? I really like Wayne Dyers books, but it's also nice to have a real page turner (like a David Baldachi book). Otherwise, just stay close to the forum and we'll keep talkin'!

YOUCANDOIT!

artsoul 05-03-2010 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Rev (Post 2587418)
This looks like a really great group. The May Flowers? BTW, artsoul, be careful, or you'll end up as the Moses of Alcoholics, leading everyone to the promised land (you are incredibly supportive :D )!

Rev

I know that I've been feeling pretty old the past couple days. haha.... Maybe it's typical addict behavior (get as much as you can as fast as you can). I just know I need it, so that's why I need to give it.

I like the May Flowers by the way!! That's GREAT. We'll have to have a group vote on it. :thanks

AtlasMcGee 05-03-2010 03:06 PM

Yes it's the same friend, so I really hope she respects my decision enough & goes out to drink. I do have a great book that I'm reading, but I'm about to finish it. I haven't read anything by the authors you've listed, I'll have to check them out. I have been on a Tom Robbins kick lately & I have some other books that I haven't read here still on the shelves.

You're right about it being a mental thing too.."what am I missing" etc. & I know the only thing I'll be "missing" out on is not regretting anything the next day...I think I can live with that :) I'm going to talk with her before & see what her plan is because I can just as easily pick them up when they're ready instead of spend the evening over there.
Just set the trusty alarm...they're going to be hungover on a plane.

traderjane 05-03-2010 05:40 PM

I'm sticking with this group :)

Richard54 05-03-2010 11:23 PM

The May Flowers? lol
That's great!
:c031:

AtlasMcgee, I'm hoping you've made it through the evening ok? You'll feel so great about it tomorrow!

I'm looking forward to the start of day 3 in the morning..waking up clear headed (somewhat lol) and enjoying the day with NO ALCOHOL.

It's much better to look forward to that then to wake up all sick, struggle through the day, then drink all night long again, rinse and repeat.

The committee is fired !

Congratulations to all you May Flowers
:cool:

john0000 05-04-2010 02:10 AM

To join

back on day one today..... feel rubbish and stupid - the weekends are the test that I can't get past or don't seem to want to - though I can't live like this anymore. I want my life back without the terrible urge to drink and drink and drink..... Day One and it is the 4th of May - if I can make it to june that will be the worst part over.

Hi one and all - I am hoping May will be The month we finally do this!!

artsoul 05-04-2010 09:15 AM

Richard - so nice to your chipper self this morning!:You_Rock_My first smile for the day! YEA I agree about MayFlowers - love it!

Welcome john and keepcoming back!:grouphug: We're all doing the right thing - taking that first step and coming here for support. Congrats on going to a meeting keep - You'll have to tell us how it was. And john, I spent so many years feeling like an idiot and a worthless piece of ...... Please know that you're not stupid, you're not worthless, and you're not alone.
I'm only on day 4 and I can't believe that I actually feel like a teeny ray of sunshine/hope, and all I've done is not pick up that first drink. It's not easy but the pain I'm still in now is like a cleansing, almost.

Alright, MayFlowers we can do this - SAIL ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bus

How's everyone else out there doing?

AtlasMcGee 05-04-2010 09:31 AM

I talked to my friend before going over there last night & they had decided to stay in for the night & hang out there, so I decided to hang out at my house & pick them up when it was time. They ended up getting another ride from a different friend that was hanging out with them--so it all worked out for the best

Hello day 5!

I'm feeling great about my decision today. Welcome! to John & Keepcominback, glad you're here :)

traderjane 05-04-2010 09:42 AM

MayFlowers is a cool name! I like it! Very hopeful sounding.

Off to work now but will post more later!

artsoul 05-04-2010 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by AtlasMcGee (Post 2588227)
I talked to my friend before going over there last night & they had decided to stay in for the night & hang out there, so I decided to hang out at my house & pick them up when it was time. They ended up getting another ride from a different friend that was hanging out with them--so it all worked out for the best.

That's awesome Atlas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So glad to hear you didn't have to hang on by your fingernails all night! You're doing great!

Acorn 05-04-2010 10:06 AM

Well, nearly managed day two. It sounds as if everyone else is doing good . I think we are getting a little support group going here which is good. I would like to share my story in a post in a few days time if tht is ok?

snowman76 05-04-2010 10:36 AM

Last night was the 2nd in a row that I got less than 2 hours of sleep...honestly don't feel like I slept 30 minutes. I honestly haven't a clue how I am functioning at all today. But the good news is that I'm on "day 2" of being off Methadone! :)

Dee74 05-04-2010 03:08 PM

Post anytime you like Acorn - the sooner you get it out the better...clear the decks :)

D

artsoul 05-04-2010 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Acorn (Post 2588278)
Well, nearly managed day two. It sounds as if everyone else is doing good . I think we are getting a little support group going here which is good. I would like to share my story in a post in a few days time if tht is ok?

Looking forward to it Acorn! Congratulations on hanging in there. Every evening I try to remember the difference between waking up sober and waking up wondering if I'd be able to function that day. I'm actually enjoying walking outside and feeling the wind on my face. Imagine how silly THAT is!

The days do seem long, but taking it one day at a time is really helping.

KEEP GOING STRONG!!:c011:

artsoul 05-04-2010 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by snowman76 (Post 2588310)
Last night was the 2nd in a row that I got less than 2 hours of sleep...honestly don't feel like I slept 30 minutes. I honestly haven't a clue how I am functioning at all today. But the good news is that I'm on "day 2" of being off Methadone! :)

That's fantastic, snowman. Day 2 - we're on a roll!

I hope you get better sleep tonight. I think I slept a couple hours the first two nights. And I didn't function at all during the day. I spent those days reading and posting on SR - at least I could sit in bed with my laptop. Of course, I got up to eat, lol. Last night, I finally got my first good sleep and was able to accomplish a few things. Some of the dishes in the kitchen had been there for days and days. The funny thing, it didn't me that much the last day or two and I thought "hmmm....I was always depressed and overwhelmed by the house when I was drinking."