SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Class of April 2010 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/197551-class-april-2010-a.html)

Dee74 05-03-2010 08:21 PM

Congrats on your 30 Topspin :D
:You_Rock_

D

kyb5 05-03-2010 10:11 PM

Awesome Tops! Congrats on 30. Can't wait to get there myself.

bartender129 05-04-2010 05:14 AM

Hi folks,

I'm still here and I'm still sober.

I'm still grieving the lose of my dear friend.

WhiteWave 05-04-2010 06:03 AM

Just quick popping in to say CONGRATS!!!!! to everyone posting about their sober time. While some people don't like counting the days, I actually really like to in early recovery, so here's a big KUDOS to everyone who is "banking" days :D

Bartender, I'm really sorry for your loss and I hope you are able to heal more soon.

I'm sitting here waiting for the cable guy :D I'm getting cable for the first time, new internet, and new phone. It seemed an appropriate time for a renewal (duh, lol) of my communication services/devices, and I can certainly afford the extra $20 a month now that said amount is no longer being spent on booze :)

Once I start going to more festivals, I think I'll be handing out more donations to charities and etc, because I made do just fine without that "booze" money before - why not put it toward good causes instead for a while? $10 here, a $20 there - just like any other month back when I was using.

All right everyone - I'm gonna grab something healthy to drink before the cable dude gets here. Take care, and my best wishes to everyone here!

Blessed be,
WW

AmericanGirl 05-04-2010 09:37 AM

Bartender, I am so sorry for your loss, and I wish you strength right now in this difficult time.

AmericanGirl 05-04-2010 09:38 AM

Day 17 here. Crazy. This may already be the record (the record for longest time sober for the past 11 years (since I started using drugs and alcohol on a regular basis). I'm not positive; one month will definitely be a record). I wish I had more time to read posts right now, but I will later on. Good luck to everyone on making it through today.

kyb5 05-04-2010 09:52 AM

Day 12

How is everyone doing?

Still not sleeping well. I don't understand because I slept so well the first week.

Starting to crawl out of the depression. I don't understand that either. I have no reason to be depressed. I know I just need to suck it up and get over it.

I was hoping my wife would notice by now that I'm not drinking and say something. Maybe she has noticed but just not said anything.

I guess that's fitting tho. I was alone in my drunkenness so I guess I'll be alone in my recovery (except for all of you of course). :tyou

Ok....pity party over. Have a great day everyone!

kyb5 05-04-2010 10:21 AM

AlbaStar & Priceyjunk didn't you guys hit 30 days yesterday along with Topspin?

Stayinfree 05-04-2010 12:34 PM

Hi Everyone!

Topspin...congrats!
Bartender....will keep you in my thoughts...hope you feel better soon.
Kyb5...you are not alone...we're all here!

Just want to say that I'm feeling very, very good (sorry if that's insensitive to anyone not feeling so good). I've dyed my gray hairs, so I'm all blond again, got some new bobbles and did my hair...put my earings in (I'm surprised my holes hadn't closed up, they haven't been used for so long....Oooppsss...that doesn't sound very ladylike does it)

And best of all....I'm not obsessing anymore, well maybe I am but not about alcohol!

Sobriety feels great and very different this time....it's like now that I've accepted I'm an alcoholic and that I can never drink again, not just admitting to it, the insanity has stopped. I am not doubting my decision, there is no schizophrenia going on in my brain, just pure acceptance, and a weight has been lifted.

Best wishes to all of you.

Hugs

kyb5 05-04-2010 01:43 PM

Pink Cloud

I'm sure this has been discussed before.

The "pink cloud" is best described as a period of time where the addict or alcoholic experiences a reprieve from the struggles associated with early recovery. These struggles are generally associated with the feelings of depression, anger, resentment, self pity and the realization of where their drug addiction or alcoholism has taken them.

Upon experiencing this phenomenon for the first time, the addict or alcoholic is understandably excited. They begin to believe they now "hold the key" to their recovery. This is where the seed for relapse is planted. They begin to believe more in themselves than in the process they have been following. Without the pain as a daily reminder, they tend to forget about what it took for them to embrace recovery. Denial rears its ugly head and they minimize how devastating their drug addiction and alcoholism really was and that they have a disease of drug addiction and alcoholism that requires attention on a daily basis. Relapse prevention becomes an afterthought as the person becomes defiant and rebellious regarding suggestions contrary to their desires. Without resorting to drugs or alcohol, the individual in recovery is one step away from relapse. Remember, relapse is not an event, it is a process.
Anyone experience this? Any thoughts/ideas? I hope I don't fall victim to this because I'm probably nearing that "stage".

MyGraySkies 05-04-2010 01:43 PM

7 days here too! Woohoo for one week! I've been eating fruits, veggies, and high protein food like grilled chicken. LOTS of water! Started back on the treadmill. I even went out and worked in the yard with the kids today. (Haven't done THAT in over a year!) I have a doctor's appt tomorrow, originally I made it to ask for help detoxing but ended up doing it myself at home after getting pretty sick. So now I'm going to tell him about my 2.5 year relapse and ask for tests to see where I am health-wise. Nervous but glad to be going at the same time.

CONGRATS to everyone here, it's so inspiring to come in here every day and see how great our Aprillers are doing!

Bartender, I am SO very sorry for your loss.

kyb5 05-04-2010 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by MyGraySkies (Post 2588464)
7 days here too! Woohoo for one week!

Congrats and keep up the good work!

:c011:

littlechicklet 05-04-2010 02:19 PM

Hey guys! I'm on day 13 sober.

Can I join your april thread? I've been reading :)

I'm doing well after the initial gross detox stuff. I've had to white knuckle through a few intense cravings but I have been lucky to have someone I can call and talk it through with. Overall I am feeling exponentially better than when I was drinking. Every day waking up is a wonderful experience. I never want to wake up hungover again.

Kmber2010 05-04-2010 02:32 PM

Hey Hey!!! Hanging in there and still sober. I have my irritable moments (Lord knows how hubby tolerates my snippiness but he says he is fine with him since he has his wife back finally) and of course at the dreaded point in early recovery. The time where you are beginning to feel really good, making positive change and those little thoughts of having a relaxing nice drink set in.

I had my inprocessing today and am offically employed by the government (what was I thinking...LOLOL) but after the entire day and a few other good things happening that my body was sending me the "its time to celebrate with a drink" vibe.

No worries....I came straight home and decided to chat with hubby, clean the kitchen and have some coffee. Of course the thought passed - force of habit I believe. So many years of using booze to offset any emotional high or low. Was super proud of myself but of course was a bit snippy for a bit.

Tonight hubby and I went to dinner and played some pool ------ IN A BAR!!! OMG....I ordered a sprite and while I won't drink ever again.....it was that familiar smokey scene where people are laughing and drinking and it was a little challenging for me. I just reminded myself that I don't drink, that I am not like them and that I will wake up feeling grand. Later I saw several folks who were pretty lit up and I thought to myself ......Oh Kim....that was you once upon a time...aren't you glad you aren't there anymore.

Finished a few games of pool and headed home and now off to bed. Yeah today was interesting but I handled it. I usually avoid anything I can connect with drinking but I do have to face it at some time......my life will always be filled challenging moments and I have to deal with it.

Super proud of myself.....bit sad with myself for getting into the mess but no matter what I love not living that life of hiding and fear when I was drinking. I go through my days now with no regret or guilt of what I am doing.

Wow....that was alot for me to share. Today was a struggle inside for me......

Here is to another blessed sober day my friends.

Dee74 05-04-2010 02:45 PM

Don't worry about the pink cl;oud too much kyb - as long as we remain vigilant and not get complacent or cocky I think it's ok to enjoy that sobriety 'glow' :)

Do you guys know about PAWs too?
Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) — Why we don’t get better immediately) Digital Dharma

D

kyb5 05-04-2010 03:56 PM

That's a great article Dee. Explains some things but makes me worried about what's to come.

Rev 05-04-2010 04:22 PM

Day 24, and still hanging in there.

Did you ever clear away a mess, only to find an even bigger mess underneath? Well, the self-evaluation I've done with not drinking has awakened me to a bigger problem, procrastination. I have alot going for me in terms of ability and brains, but am totally incompetent when it comes to actually applying them for long term gain. I put off the bills, mowing the lawn, writing, everything. It's probably a more ingrained habit than the drinking, and it's the only thing in my life that makes me look unfavorably on myself. I feel like a fast car with no wheels, sometimes, and it really hurts my sense of worth.

Do they have AA like groups for this kind of thing?

Rev

Dee74 05-04-2010 04:55 PM

I didn't want to worry anyone LOL
That's what may happen to some, not what will happen to everyone :)

It comes, it passes.

PAWs is no worse than what we've already been through :)
D

CarolD 05-04-2010 05:31 PM

littlechicklet....:wavey:

Certainly glad to know you have joined us
Well done on your sober time
and you are doing well

TS......30 days.....super....:cheer

Thanks everyone for sharing your progress
I am so thrilled to see you are winning....:c011::

CarolD 05-04-2010 05:38 PM

Ok...about the "pink cloud" ... ...anytime I feel my zest
for recovery ebb.....
all I need to re-charge is to share with anyone
interested in recovery from active alcoholism.
I'm an action geared woman ...:)

I do this by useing AA meetings and on SR
I hope this helps each of you move forward
:yup:

PAWS? I had never heard of this before I came
on line.....already 3 years happily sober.
If it happened to me.....it must have been
over quickly and no big deal.