SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Thanks For Your Support (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/175355-thanks-your-support.html)

SHawk25 04-29-2009 08:33 AM

Thanks For Your Support

First off I want to thank everyone for their support through my hard times the last couple of months.. Now I have to be honest with how I feel, and I know no one here is going to agree with my decision.. But this is how I feel and how I evaluated myself..

I've said from day 1 that I do not believe I'm an alcoholic. I previously led a poor lifestyle in a few areas.. Basically didn't want to "grow up" yet.. Didn't care about my finances or take things in life serious. Poor lifestyle yes, alcoholic no.

Never had blackouts, never had cravings, withdrawals, never got in trouble directly related from alchol, never hid how much I drank.

My problems came from having no worries in life, just living care free. Lack of discipline I would say.. My fiance and I have spoke alot about this. She didn't leave me because of my drinking, she left cause of my careless lifestyle.

So after saying all of this.. I'm going to go back to drinking a couple on special occassions. No, not getting drunk.. Just drinking a couple.. I don't ever want to drink too much again to where I get drunk or hung over. Just a couple socially at special occassions..

I know no one here will support this decision, I understand that. I just wanted to be honest with you all before I leave. I respect this site and everyone who comes here.

If I drink too much or my drinking gets out of hand I will then admit I have a drinking problem and quit for good. You guys will be the first to know, I will come right back to this site for help. But honestly, I don't see that happening..

No need to respond telling me I'm making a mistake, my mind is made up. Thank you all, and take care.

Anna 04-29-2009 08:49 AM

Hi,

It's good to hear from you.

I wish you well, and hope that you check in again, from time to time.

Aysha 04-29-2009 08:50 AM

Good luck. But you dont have to go just because you made a decision.
Its not like quit drinking or go away.
Anyway..I hope you at least pop in every now and again and just say hi.
Take care.

bartender129 04-29-2009 08:50 AM

I've been hanging around recovery messageboards for close to a decade now. One thing I have learned beyond a shadow of a doubt is that goodbye threads that claim to not want a response REALLY want one.

I wish you well shawk. I am happy for you that you have begun to live a healthy lifestyle.

As to the choice to drink again, keep one thing in mind while doing so.

If when you drink you ever crave more, it is probably going to get worse.

peace

keithj 04-29-2009 09:03 AM

I wholeheartedly support your decision. Not everyone who comes to these forums is an alcoholic. These forums can provide some good information for one to determine that for themselves.

If you can drink the amounts you want and stay in control, and have a happy life with alcohol, I wish you nothing but the best.

scaredykat 04-29-2009 09:03 AM

Hi SHawk. I can relate to your story. I use to think that way. Then one day I got tired of feeling that way and just existing.

I wish you well and we'll be here if you decide to come back.

SHawk25 04-29-2009 09:33 AM

Of course I was gonna check for any responses :)

I just didn't know if it was right to come on this board anymore if I was a casual drinker.. Thought this site was about complete abstinence..

sailorjohn 04-29-2009 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by SHawk25 (Post 2210853)
So after saying all of this.. I'm going to go back to drinking a couple on special occassions. No, not getting drunk.. Just drinking a couple.. I don't ever want to drink too much again to where I get drunk or hung over. Just a couple socially at special occassions..

I know no one here will support this decision, I understand that. I just wanted to be honest with you all before I leave. I respect this site and everyone who comes here.

Well, following the AA party line, would heartily endorse your decision. The term 'alcoholic' only has value for those that come to that conclusion themselves, mind you, I'm not claiming you're an alcoholic.

Try some controlled drinking, if you decide that perhaps you are alcoholic, you'll know there is an answer to your problem and where to go.

Good Luck!

Tazman53 04-29-2009 09:40 AM

I wish you well shawk, honesty is a great asset, just stay aware of where you are at with your drinking, I hope it all works out well for you and if you see that it still is a problem you simply come back and let us know what is up.

gravity 04-29-2009 09:43 AM

Whatever works for you!

I think it's a black & white issue.

Either you are an alcoholic or you are not.

If you can honestly look at your past and yourself and say that you are not an alcoholic, then that's that. Whether you drink or not is kind of irrelevant.

My wife used to abuse alcohol (with me) and she grew out of it when she was about 30. She just has a drink or two every now and then.

On the other hand, my drinking kept escalating to the point where I could no longer rationalize that I am not an alcoholic. Today, I know I can't drink and that's kind of irrelevant too - doesn't impact my quality of life.

Best wishes to you and your family!

CarolD 04-29-2009 11:46 AM

All my best to the 2 of you ....:yup:
If you do choose a sober future
you know where we are.

flutter 04-29-2009 12:26 PM

I've typed and deleted this 3 times now.

Nevermind on that :)

Good luck.

Fubarcdn 04-29-2009 12:27 PM

I just want to wish you all the best Shawk too.
I am glad to see you and your fiancee are back on track.
Listen to your heart but more important listen to your woman.
Good luck.

Hevyn 04-29-2009 04:51 PM

I'm so glad you didn't just leave without explaining. I've followed your posts from the beginning.

I remember when you first came here, how concerned you were about the financial problems you'd had because of drinking, & how you felt drinking had clouded many important events in your life. I feel that if you could have controlled your drinking, you would have done so before things spun out of control. Many times over the years I thought the way you're thinking now. I caused myself so much pain and grief trying to be a social drinker. I would never want to see you go through what I have, so I am concerned for you, as we all are.

Best case scenario - you're right, and you will be able to have a few now and then. Please do let us know how it's going, and if you aren't able to stick to your plan - you know where to find us.

lovinmenow 04-29-2009 06:41 PM

We are all here if you need us! Good luck!! And yes, you are always welcome in my book.

Mattcake 04-29-2009 06:46 PM

:ghug3 All the best to you :)

Toomutch 04-29-2009 07:02 PM

Were always here if you wan't to come back... :)

I'll be seeing you on facebook...

Dee74 04-29-2009 07:17 PM

Hevyn said it for me really - I hope you're more self aware than I was and that you really are right.

If not, you know our URL :)

Best wishes
D

Believe808 04-29-2009 07:44 PM

Be safe and I hope you do make it back

marty888 04-29-2009 09:12 PM

Hey Man,
I have enjoyed chatting with you, good luck with your fiance and your training. I really hope your controlled drinking works for you.
Personally I tried it after 42 days sober and was fine for the first 2 days then ended up on a 4 day binge. Worked out I could not control. Unfortunately for me 1 is too many and 100 is not enough. I have joined aa and so far doing well.
Anyway mate good luck and drop me a line if you every want a chat.