SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   New (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/173915-new.html)

ButterflyDreams 04-10-2009 05:13 AM

Day 6

Made it through another day. After working in the yard I knew I had to keep busy so I went to the gym. Stayed until they shut the place down. It felt great to work out..... it's when I feel my best. Stopped and got some Celestial Seasonings Tension Tamer Teas that someone recommened and drank that. That helped me get past wanting a glass of wine. I'm beginning to think I can do this. It was funny but I was following my husband around while he was getting ready for work this morning (I'm lucky and have the day off) and I just couldn't stop talking. He said that I was talking to him more than ever which he was happy about...He gave me a "Big" hug as he left for work. I feel good today.... getting ready to go to the garden in our area to photograph the flowers...that brings me such peace... I will post one of my favorites if you would like to see....photography is such an outlet for me.......

Have a wonderful day today!
:bunny6:

P.S. I forgot to mention. I decided to quit drinking on the eve of my birthday (Apr 6th). I wanted my next year to be one to remember.

Mark75 04-10-2009 05:23 AM

Hi Butterfly...

I am almost seven months... and yea, I know about how so many things in our day are associated with drinking.... coming home after work, working on the computer, sitting down with our spouse at the end of day while they "enjoy" a drink.

I started sobriety before the holidays... and at Thanksgiving there was an open bottle of wine right in front of my place at the dinner table... yea, it sucked. But looking back now, it wasn't all that horrible.

Get through this weekend one day, one hour, at a time and it will be over... and you will have made it before you even know it.

Nice to have you on SR - Keep posting!!

Mark

flutter 04-10-2009 06:17 AM

Welcome, you can get through the weekend. You might want to clear your house of alcohol. My husband still drinks on occasion, but it's not important enough to him to mess with my sobriety by keeping anything here, readily available. This has to be my safe place, not many other places are. Good luck hun, you can do this!

Tazman53 04-10-2009 06:52 AM

Congrats on 6 days, this jumped out at me:

It's totally up to my willpower which has worked so far but can I make it through the weekend. I think if I can that will be great.
I tried my own willpower alone many times for many years and some how always wound up drinking again, I tried the "Staying busy" and yea it helped........ but only while I was busy!

I always felt like something was missing, yes I felt a lot better, but I was always looking for some excuse to have "Just one drink!". For some reason I would ALWAYS find that reason:

Something good happened.
Something bad happened.
I was REALLY bored.
It was HOT! (Beer)
It was cold. (Bourbon)
It was a party.

I found that my self will alone with time failed me. I had it fail me so many times that the last 5 years of my drinking I had to drink to function, the shakes would start if I did not drink.

For me I finally realized that I could not get sober alone, my will power alone did not cut the mustard when it came to alcohol. I saw a doctor, went into detox like he suggested, then I went to AA because that is what the folks in detox suggested.

I gained and found strenth in the Experience, strength and hope of the folks in AA, they freely gave to me what had freely been given to them. They told me if I wanted what they had to do what they had done. I did what they did and I am free today and sane, the obsession to drink has been lifted from me.

ButterflyDreams 04-10-2009 09:22 AM

Okay, let me ask. Can or has anybody quit drinking without going to AA?

Fubarcdn 04-10-2009 09:28 AM

I am quitting drinking without AA but it has only been for about 3 months now.
I use this forum for support and have developed my own program.
Good luck.

ButterflyDreams 04-10-2009 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Fubarcdn (Post 2187858)
I am quitting drinking without AA but it has only been for about 3 months now.
I use this forum for support and have developed my own program.
Good luck.

So it is doable. I will see how things go...then decide. Thanks!

CarolD 04-10-2009 10:08 AM

Yes... people can quit drinking without using a recovery program.
I do use God and AA.....but not every one chooses to.

Congratulations on your early sobriety....:yup:

I just shared about my experiences with cravings
click the link to find the Class of April thread
and you are welcome to come share there too

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ass-april.html

Enjoy your sober weekend with your family