Notices

New

Old 04-09-2009, 08:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New

Hi. I'm new here. I've been off wine going on 5 days. My question is how long before you don't crave a glass? I'm fine all day long but when 8PM rolls around (when I would normally have my 1st glass) then the craving starts.

I must say I do feel a lot better already. My mind is clear and I just feel better all around. I love feeling good in the morning.

Thanks and I look forward to another day without wine!!!!

BD
Old 04-09-2009, 08:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome to SR Butterfly.
I think the first week is the hardest but the time it takes for cravings to stop varies from person to person.
It is important to recognize them and do whatever it takes not to act on them.
Sometimes they are sneaky so keep your gaurd up.
Good luck.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

new today

I am also new. I can't say its been 5 days but maybe 12 hours. I have a husband that knows how to get me to drink with him. he is also a alcohlic, but denines it. I pray that this sight can help me..... good luck to you
Old 04-09-2009, 09:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Im glad you signed up. Cravings are different for different people. Hang in there and dont pick up no matter what, you will be ok.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, in the beginning you are always going to get those cravings during that time you would normally drink, thats why the beginning is so tough. In those danger hours try and keep busy, if the cravings get to intense just come on here and someone will talk you out of it and you will be grateful in the morning when you wake up with a clear head.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome !
Old 04-09-2009, 09:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The first couple of weeks are always the worst. Is there something else you love that you could have instead? I was in the hospital the first week of not drinking but after that I rewarded myself with M&Ms every night for not drinking. Of course I started buying 4 pound bags! of M&Ms and gained a lot of weight but I got past that and it was much better carrying some extra weight than being a drunk.

Judy
Old 04-09-2009, 09:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. It was tough last night. My husband was enjoying a beer and I wanted a glass of wine so bad but did not have one. It seems if I make it past a certain point in the evening I am okay.

It really helps to think that I want to be sober for "today". I am taking it one day at a time. I've tried this before then went right back. Thinking I would just have a drink on the weekend. I was fine for a long time controling how much I drank but then I seemed to need more and just wasn't satisfied with one glass.

I think it struck me when I saw a picture of myself the other day. I have always taken great care about the way I look. I have been very fit most of my adult life and exercise most days. I have noticed that since I had started drinking more that my skin just didn't look as good and my hair had lost it sheen. I think that I was walking around dehydrated most of the time because of my high level of activity along with having wine.

Well...I didn't like the picture of myself...not myself as I was used to seeing. So I decided to try to stop and see if I started to look better. Already I can tell a difference. My hair looks better and I don't have that dried out look. I am actually drinking a lot more water and tea which is helping with the hydration.

The true test will be this weekend. It's hard when there is a bottle of open wine sitting on the counter or beer in the frig. My husband was going to quit but decided not to even though he supports my efforts. It's totally up to my willpower which has worked so far but can I make it through the weekend. I think if I can that will be great.

I keep telling myself I can do this. Years ago I used to smoke. I thought that I could never live without smoking but I quit. It's been 26 years now and I never even think about smoking and wonder how I ever did that and YES I did live without it. I tell myself the same thing can happen with drinking...that I CAN live without it.

So I will report on Monday whether or not I was able to resist..... I hope and pray............. I love being sober........love it...........love it...........:praying
Old 04-09-2009, 09:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The weekends are always the hardest for me, everything about the weekend reminds me of drinking. I try to get out as much as I can during the weekends and it has helped alot. When I don't feel like going out I stay home and play Xbox games, I can play for hours without even thinking of a drink. Guess you just have to do something that works for you. Good luck and I know you can make it till Monday. Try posting during the weekend, there is so much support here.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maggot4Life View Post
The weekends are always the hardest for me, everything about the weekend reminds me of drinking. I try to get out as much as I can during the weekends and it has helped alot. When I don't feel like going out I stay home and play Xbox games, I can play for hours without even thinking of a drink. Guess you just have to do something that works for you. Good luck and I know you can make it till Monday. Try posting during the weekend, there is so much support here.

Thanks! You know you are right.... when I am doing something I love...like tennis, golf or photography or in the gym drinking is the furthest thing from my mind. Sadly to say it's walking into my house...at the end of the day is when I want a drink. So.... I can't really stay away from my house so I have to figure out what to do. I used to come home then work on my photogrpahy at the computer...but always with a glass of wine sitting next to me. Now this week I have sat there without the wine. I drink a nice warm glass of this calming magnesium stuff which helps and last night drank a Coke Zero. But on the weekend I'll be have much more time at home which worries me. I'm going to the zoo on Saturday to photograph so that will keep me busy then working on my pictures will take time...... keeping busy is the key............If I feel like breaking down I will log on and ask for help getting through it......

:ghug2
Old 04-09-2009, 09:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Stay strong! It must be hard having the alcohol in the house and watching hubby drink. I don't know if I could do that although I know people who have been able to quit with the spouse still drinking.

I think the first few weeks are the hardest but the cravings will sneak up on you at anytime so you have to always be on top of it.

For now, stay busy. Find an activity you enjoy that can take the place of the 8 o'clock glass of wine...and all those that follow. Sign on to SR if you are having a hard time finding anything else to do. Reading other people posts sure has helped me through. Have something non alcoholic to drink in your hands at 8pm that you really enjoy. Make it a routine. Water works great for me, I feel like I'm doing something healthy and it helps with the cravings. Make some other positive life changes to help you feel like you are doing something good for you. Even something minor. Go for a walk, start eating a piece of fruit instead of a fattening dessert, call someone you have been meaning to for a long time, do something on that long term "to do" list that you never get to (sort photos, clean a closet, organize paperwork), set a long term goal and spend time planning for it even if you don't know when you will be able to do it (vacation, climb a mountain, start a business, whatever your dream is), write thank you cards, start a journal....the list goes on! I find doing things that I know are positive, no matter how small, makes me feel better and encourages me to keep going. Just as long as you keep going!
Old 04-09-2009, 10:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family ButterflyDreams and fighttowin!:ghug3 For me the first week is the worst but after that it starts getting better. Just don't give in to any urges to drink, no matter what.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Welcome to SR Butterfly!

It sounds as if you know what you want for yourself and that is awesome!

Keeping busy not only with what you like and coming here to SR you may
want to consider some type of a support group other than here. Maybe AA?
There are a lot of members here that could give you advice on AA or even the other
ways of support they decided was right for them!

The positive attitude that you have is a great start to your journey!

Please keep coming back and posting! You may also want to look around the
forums and post in other area's as well as here. There are stickies at the top of the
forums that are filled with a wealth of information!
Old 04-09-2009, 11:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Have you tried going to an AA meeting?
Old 04-09-2009, 11:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I know just how u feel. I can work all day don't think about it and as soon as I walk in the house and see my hubby drinking thats when it starts all over again. I have a very hard time starting any projects.

This weekend will be a test. its just seems like friday and sat night is happy hour, but what night was not in my life. I know i will be visiting often........ fight to win!
Old 04-09-2009, 11:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi ButterflyDreams and Welcome,

Good for you!

I found that making changes in my daily routine really helped me in the early days. My problem time was being home alone because I used to drink by myself, so I had to plan around that. Since 8 pm is a problem time for you, why not be doing something totally different? You could go for a long walk, take a bubble bath, talk to a friend on the phone, put on a good movie, whatever can distract you for even a few minutes.

I hope you keep reading and posting.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Butterfly,

Welcome to SR. I had such terrible cravings in the beginning and was totally miserable. I think my turning point was when I gave myself a one year limit but you can make the length a month if you like. I told myself I could drink again if I still wanted to after I waited one year. Around Christmas I was so sad because I wasn't able to drink but when I told myself maybe next year I will be able to have a glass of wine I felt better and was able to go on with the holidays. I think I will not drink again but we have to do whatever we can to get through the beginning. So basically I talk back to my alcoholic mind. Good luck getting through the first weekend and keep posting.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to both you newbies. You can quit.

One thing I found that helped me with the "mechanical" part of my drinking habit (having something to drink in my hand like I was used to) was a switch to energy drinks. Toward the (what I hope is the) end of my drinking career I was picking up a couple of Tilts/Sparks on the way home from work. Now when I want to "have a drink" I go get a couple of Amps or some other type energy drink.

And I agree with everyone else on staying busy. It really feels good to accomplish things that drinking or being hung over has kept you from doing.

And (lastly) - do reward yourself. Take some of that money you are not blowing on alcohol or drugs and buy yourself something nice!
Old 04-09-2009, 12:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

hey hey hey

welcome! keep on truckin, and congrats on no hangovers for 5 days, whooo!
Old 04-10-2009, 05:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Day 6

Made it through another day. After working in the yard I knew I had to keep busy so I went to the gym. Stayed until they shut the place down. It felt great to work out..... it's when I feel my best. Stopped and got some Celestial Seasonings Tension Tamer Teas that someone recommened and drank that. That helped me get past wanting a glass of wine. I'm beginning to think I can do this. It was funny but I was following my husband around while he was getting ready for work this morning (I'm lucky and have the day off) and I just couldn't stop talking. He said that I was talking to him more than ever which he was happy about...He gave me a "Big" hug as he left for work. I feel good today.... getting ready to go to the garden in our area to photograph the flowers...that brings me such peace... I will post one of my favorites if you would like to see....photography is such an outlet for me.......

Have a wonderful day today!

P.S. I forgot to mention. I decided to quit drinking on the eve of my birthday (Apr 6th). I wanted my next year to be one to remember.

Last edited by ButterflyDreams; 04-10-2009 at 05:39 AM.