SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I Prefer Compassion with my "Whine" (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/172367-i-prefer-compassion-my-whine.html)

Jrock75 03-25-2009 03:46 AM

Flame Bait:

Flame baiting is setting up a situation for you to get flamed usually on a forum. You don't actually flame, but make it hard to respond without flaming. Its setting people up on the internet so they look like the bad guy. Generally Looked down upon .

IMO that's what you basically did Bam. You made the thread,now deal with it. Peace.

stone 03-25-2009 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by trucker (Post 2161081)

How i get that across is AS important as what i want to get across.

If i am curt...judgemental...rude...border line name calling or just make sweeping judgements that person will probably reject what im trying to say.

I know i would....and have...

So for me its AS important to "how you say it".....as well as what you say.

I think sometimes.....important..messages are lost because of how the post is written.

I think Trucker sums it up well.

Some people respond to the 2 by 4 to the head and some people don't, so if a persons approach is to use the 2 by 4 on people because it worked for them then they are assuming everyone is like them .....and they are not.
(I don't mean you do that Taz, I am just using the 2 by 4 metaphor you used :) ).

I think it is Lbad who has the sig line..."say what you mean and mean what you say, just don't say it mean".

Some just love to judge others and tell them when they are wrong, I guess it makes them feel superior. I really don't think there are many people here who do that though. Most people are trying to help.

Rusty Zipper 03-25-2009 05:12 AM

dont see anything wrong here maw!,

aint it grand, the wind stop'd blowing...

Fubarcdn 03-25-2009 06:25 AM

I am trying to learn to be more tolerant and that is why I read this thread.
Almost everyone that posted here has helped me with that as I read your posts and figured out my reactions to them.
I want to thank you all for helping in my quest.

jimhere 03-25-2009 06:47 AM

Leaving

Don't hold us hostage by threats of leaving.

Stay or go.

Drink or don't.

Katie09 03-25-2009 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by jimhere (Post 2164194)
Don't hold us hostage by threats of leaving.

Stay or go.

Drink or don't.

Hyperbole much? Who is holding anyone hostage? The door is open for anyone who wants to leave this thread, including you.

Stay or go.

Aysha 03-25-2009 07:28 AM

Just a reminder..

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...413-again.html

michelle01 03-25-2009 07:41 AM

I can sorta see both sides of this. There are purists on both sides though who can be negative and closed minded and turn me off.

As alcoholics or addicts there are certain things that we need to accept and go along with. True. But if someone needs special help and treatment with mental health issues to feel happy in recovery then that's fine. It's supposed to be part genetic/biological and part environmental, isn't it?

Katie09 03-25-2009 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by michelle01 (Post 2164270)
I can sorta see both sides of this. There are purists on both sides though who can be negative and closed minded and turn me off.

As alcoholics or addicts there are certain things that we need to accept and go along with. True. But if someone needs special help and treatment with mental health issues to feel happy in recovery then that's fine. It's supposed to be part genetic/biological and part environmental, isn't it?

Thanks for pointing this out. You are right, feelings run strong on both sides. It's just that I relate to the need for compassion. I've been working with a therapist for a while who does DBT. What this means is to look for the golden nugget in everything. When someone feels attacked (for lack of a better word - it's early here) it can actually be harder to do the deal. Some people are just wired to be sensitive, drinking or not. That is just some people's personality. Therefore, there is not a one size fits all approach. I'd recommend a book called The Highly Sensitive Person. It is part of one's personality not subject to change.

BTW, I am just speaking for myself in this post - not implying that Bam is an HSP.

Tazman53 03-25-2009 08:06 AM

There are purists on both sides though who can be negative and closed minded and turn me off.
I totally concur, the longer I am sober and the more alcoholics I work with, the better I can tell when to pull out the 2X4! LOL I always start of with a whisper and if the person really wants help and is still not seeing the reality of what they are doing I will slowly amplify what I am saying, hoping they will be able to see and benefit from.

My head was very dense when I was drinking and actually my skull became thicker in early sobriety, I went through a stage where I thought I knew it all because I had been sober a month or 2, in reality I still had no idea how to stay sober long term....... & to be honest even at 2 1/2 years sober I still have a lot to learn which is one of the very reasons I try and do as those with MANY years of sobriety do.

I have learned a great deal about getting and staying sober, but I still have a lot to learn, I have heard the old timers say that when they start thinking they know it all they are getting close to a drink.

AlkalikeH 03-25-2009 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by jimhere (Post 2163845)
Love isn't a feeling, it is action.
Jim

*standing ovation*

parentrecovers 03-25-2009 08:50 AM

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...69/PEACE-1.gif

Gypsy Feet 03-25-2009 08:51 AM

“We hardly find any persons of good sense save those who agree with us.”

François de la Rochefoucauld

least 03-25-2009 09:23 AM

Peace, please.:ghug

IO Storm 03-25-2009 09:40 AM

What is an OP'er?

I don't like labeling for starters..this is very negative.

flutter 03-25-2009 10:01 AM

Original poster..

Katie09 03-25-2009 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by IO Storm (Post 2164475)
What is an OP'er?

I don't like labeling for starters..this is very negative.

It's a way to refer to people who start the thread - not meant to be derogatory. Usually people say the OP, but OPer works too. :)

IO Storm 03-25-2009 10:07 AM

Oh! Not too bad then. Thanks.

IO Storm 03-25-2009 10:08 AM

And this coming from a person with over 12,000 posts! :lmao