SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   What is happening to SR? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/159960-what-happening-sr.html)

Dee74 11-02-2008 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Horselover (Post 1966776)
Maybe Jersey. I have to give that some thought. Once again it probably is me Jersey. I guess "I" needed to re-read this.

I think you're too hard on yourself HL :)

Yeah ultimately the only thing we can effect change on is ourselves - but I like Jerseys idea - if enough likeminded people keep posting - positively...together we should be able to keep this place on track to do what it's meant to do - help. :)

and if SR is not a perfect place, it is still a good place - if some days I struggle to see that, I'm like as not carrying some baggage...

D

Horselover 11-02-2008 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by bostonluv (Post 1966860)
I have seen so much forgiveness here and willingness to let go of different views and heal together. An area to be careful in is the mob mentality: jumping in on something you aren't personally involved in and drawing up sides. That is never good.

Otherwise, we laugh, we share, we recover together here. I've never found a better place for that purpose.

Not attacking you in any way, Kathleen, but trying to understand your post. I don't understand the following: "An area to be careful in is the mob mentality: jumping in on something you aren't personally involved in and drawing up sides."

I defended a friend because I saw a "mob" mentality attacking her because of an angry, out of line post she made in the heat of the moment. I have seen that happen so many times. I think that we often times write in anger and regret afterwards. Its like when we drink or use and act without thinking. I KNOW I am guilty of this more times then not.

I agree that its never a good idea either to jump in on something when you aren't personally involved, but when I see someone, a friend, being trashed I speak up. I am teaching my son to do the same thing because I wouldn't want him to turn the cheek if a friend was getting bullied on the playground.

Again, please don't take this as a personal assault because it was so not intended as that, but I must protect my actions in this forum. I agree that this is a place to share, laugh, and recover together in, but to recover we have to let go of resentments. Stepping off my soapbox and you may definitely delete this post if I have offended.

IO Storm 11-02-2008 12:08 PM

Nah! That wasn't good enough...

Something came to mind I learned in NA.. and something good to

keep in mind..

Goodwill :Val004: to all of you today

Ananda 11-02-2008 12:14 PM

and this is how it starts all over again....sigh

scaredykat 11-02-2008 12:21 PM

The one thing I'd like to share is that I'm grateful for SR. They never turn anyone away. 2 years ago I was on another recovery site and they told me to come back when i get sober. WT? That doesn't happen here. I wouldn't be sober today or back in AA if it wasn't for SR.

Sometimes there's disagreements and hurt feelings on here. But i think that's just everyone learning and growing. Including myself.

Horselover 11-02-2008 12:23 PM

Well said Scaredy and thank you. I definitely continue to grow and its well needed.

adore79 11-02-2008 12:28 PM

I know for me, my mood dictates a lot of what I percieve around me. When I first came to SR last year I didnt know anyone here. I started a thread and made a dozen or so posts. But back then I was still very ill and not right mentally. In my mind, the responses from people I got were mean, and condescending like they thought I was dumb or weak. So, I left and didnt come back until January.

When I came back I reread the thread I made the previous year and the responses to it and I was completely amazed. All the responses had been extremely polite and helpful, the people had been genuinely concerned for me and wanted me to get better.

So, yeah, I think the way we perceive things can be important.

This thread says it well also:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ty-window.html

Anna 11-02-2008 12:36 PM

Please let's move on, let's move forward.

Let's not go back and dig up past issues.

SR is an amazing place, with a never-ending amount of love, compassion and forgiveness. I don't know where I would be personally, without SR in my life. It's my lifeline and has been for years.

Horselover 11-02-2008 12:38 PM

Moving on Anna and thank you! :ghug2

IO Storm 11-02-2008 12:59 PM

Thanks Anna..

Oh..

HL...

The Nah!

That's not not good enough was referring to my post!

Just wanted you to know...

Hugs

Rusty Zipper 11-02-2008 06:48 PM

dont see anything wrong here Maw!

aint it grand!

bostonluv 11-02-2008 07:04 PM

Horselover said: I feel like forgiveness is an emotion that has been hard to find lately.... Stepping off my soapbox and you may definitely delete this post if I have offended.
It didn't offend me it just made me sad to know that it's still festering in you. I hope you will find the forgiveness and the letting go of resentments you spoke of above Horselover. My experience has been that thinking about a past wrong, talking about it, keeping it "alive" only enforces the resentment. I believe holding a grudge is literally poison to our souls and bodies. It can be destructive as any drug. I hope you will let this go as a gift to yourself.

Anyway, I know how you feel about me after reading your post but I say this with love, as a friend. Just because you no longer like me doesn't mean I stopped liking you. I have always enjoyed your posts and agree with them 99% of the time. You're a valuable member here with your insights and honesty.

Defending someone from getting bullied is admirable and 9 times out of 10 the right right thing to do. Carrying it around afterwards, building anger and cutting off people who don't agree with you seems like it would only hurt one person - you. So stop doing it! You're better than that and can enjoy many people without having to take sides and decide whose team you are on. We should all be one team here.

Best Wishes to you and all who are currently struggling with letting go of resentments. I know it's difficult but it feels great when you do it.

Kathleen