SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Does your spouse or partner drink? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/138797-does-your-spouse-partner-drink.html)

redbear 12-11-2007 05:01 PM

My husband has an alcohol problem and I do not. I prefer not to drink, I wanted to experience life with my husband sober, both of us. He does the same for me with my drug problem. I like the way we are together sober and life is more fuller and a whole lot happier. Are marriage is not perfect just like anyone elses marriage, but i found we can deal with anything now, because A and D was our biggest problem. The most helpful thing you can do, talk to you spouce and share yours' feelings. take care

hunybee 12-11-2007 05:03 PM

I dont drink never did

but my husband does, I need to get out 10 years living with this I cant take it anymore

Rowan 12-11-2007 05:05 PM

Hi hunybee, welcome to our recovery community.

Please feel free to visit our Friends and Families of Alcoholics and/or Substance Abuse forums, also located on this website. You're in the right place. :)

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ly-alcoholics/

redbear 12-11-2007 05:06 PM

We're turning our bar into a icecream/cafe parlor. It should be fun, And find it both interesting in making diffent (fancy caffeine introduced) drinks.

Debaucher 12-11-2007 05:17 PM

the big book says...

If you are with a person who wants to eat in a bar, by all means go along. Let your friends know they are not to change their habits on your account.
I never asked nor expect my wife to stop drinking. She asked me at one point if I minded and I said no. The thing for me was that I didn't want to hide from it. If I did I was afraid when it found me I wouldn't resist it.

psalm 23... I will fear no evil, for you are with me.

pete7131 12-15-2007 03:21 PM

Hello similar

Originally Posted by Destinee1 (Post 1598035)
You and your wife sound so much like me and my husband. I am trying to quit and my husband dosen't seem to want to.We aren't wreckless either. Same as you both great parents and my husband is my best friend. But I am sick of drinking nightly also. Maybe we can help each other.I would also like ideas of how to cope with your spouse still drinking. I think it is much more difficult with alcohol still in the house. I have been trying so hard but my husband doesn't seem to think there is a problem. I do and I want to quit. I will still keep trying one day at a time.

Yes maybe we can help each other! It looks like you're a newer poster like myself. I also believe you understand the intent of my message. I thought I clearly stated that I don't want to change anyone else (my wife). I'm looking for ideas for me to cope with my own cravings while she is in the process of drinking. Meaning ideas of things to do around the house, hobbies, anything that has helped others to occupy their time, particulary early on in the recovery process. We really enjoy watching certain educational television shows together and she'll have a bottle of wine while she does that. She also constantly asks, are you mad because I'm doing this? And most certainly I am not and politely and truthfully tell her no. But someone please share some ideas with me and Destinee1 as to things we could do, that have worked for you, to develop other interests. In this instance I am talking about specifically within the home.

Thanks every one!

T

mikel60 12-15-2007 06:41 PM

My wife was 11 years sober in AA when I met her. I had two years - she 13th stepped me. I was a mere babe in the woods at the time - a helpless neophyte taken in by the treachery of a 13th stepping sultry seductress. Yeah, right.That was almost 9 years ago.. surprisingly I haven't yet driven her to drink! Life has never been better.
Mike

SaTiT 12-15-2007 09:35 PM

I can't really give you advice becuase i don't know you
and i don't know your wife.

You pretty much wrote your own answer.
that's it...hobbies, stuff to do around the house,
living your life. So your life is not certered around
your drinking or her's

With my agf it's a death wish to have alcohol or
drugs in the house. Even her percibtion drugs
cuz side effect or unmanageablities in her after a
while.

Even in my marriage it nevered worked.
We both social drink and for the most part
it was fun for the longest time...until it caught
up with us. Because alcohol is a depresent
coupled with the monthly visitor. She has guilt
trip enough as it is when turned into a nagging B.
Always after the fact thou...on a good month...i run
like hell.lol So we had issues as such to handle.
Some women suffers more than others....i got sympathy pains.lol
Mix with alcohol or drugs it was a accident waiting to happen.
Not if...just when...But that's my ex-wife.
We were young and didn't even have a lot of emotional
baggage at that young of age.

Okay..here's a simple question ?
How important is it ?
It's not an anwer anyone can give you.
But it's like playing russain rolette.
If you're wife is not an alki..then she should be able
to stop drinking period..becuase your marriage is
worth more than a Buzz. There millions of things
to do aside from drinking in life. and drinking wouln't
be a priority to her. it's something she can take or leave.
So leaving it wouldn't be a big deal.
That's just my OPINION...
Why ??..becuase I'm byess with my experince.