SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of October 2019 Part 2 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/442722-class-october-2019-part-2-a.html)

venuscat 10-23-2019 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Zura (Post 7294386)
Just saying :c009:
Im still having trouble following the thread, even though i read what everyone says, not alot is sinking in. Im finding the whole forum thing hard in that way...i think i need to get too know people one at a time or something lol other then that im having a great time living life

So for now I just send out encouragement and support vibes to the whole group

Encouragement and support vibes are wonderful :)
And sorry....I talk too much. :) :) :hug: s ❤️

venuscat 10-23-2019 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by soberbythesea (Post 7294526)
Your food sounds delicious Patcha :)

Dee, not sure at the moment what the next step is other than "don't drink today." Today is day 4. The truth is that right now I can't be around other people who are drinking and sometimes it seems like that's everyone. I had a really hard time in Spain. My bf doesn't drink much around me when he knows I'm trying to stay sober, normally 1-2 drinks max and often nothing, but like most people he drinks more on vacation and he had 3 glasses of wine in front of me the first night we were there. I was able to keep it up for a few days but by Tuesday night I snapped and was drinking too.

I don't feel like I can ask him not to drink in front of me. He doesn't have a drinking problem, and I feel he already shows reasonable consideration by normally not drinking much when I am around. Maybe it's reasonable to ask him not to drink in front of me just until I get at least some time under my belt again, like for the first 30 days? Either that or I need to spend less time with him for a little while, or do what I can to make sure we're not in a situation where he might drink (that only goes so far though), or, come up with better mental coping strategies to deal with it when he does drink in front of me. Maybe some combination of these. I'm not sure. I need to think about it though because I'll probably see him soon. We haven't seen each other since we got back on Sunday night so I'd expect we'll see each other tonight or at the very latest tomorrow.

I think it's reasonable to ask him not to drink around you until you are more comfortable with it love. :hug: s It's definitely fine to have the conversation....I can hear how solid you too are :) and I bet given the choice he would rather see you and not drink in front of you for a bit than not spend time with his love. :) :hug: s ❤️

Misc72 10-23-2019 06:46 AM

Hi guys just checking in. Happy day to all!

venuscat 10-23-2019 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Pelagic263 (Post 7294602)
Welcome Sadforldr and cccaaappp! We have a big crew here, working together for sobriety.

No surprise, I had some cravings yesterday due to stress, followed by lousy sleep last night. About par for the course at day 10, for me anyway.

I'll focus on patience some more today. I get pissed when things don't go smoothly, especially in early sobriety. Patience, walk away and breathe. Relax.

soberbythesea, my wife often has a glass or two of wine and it doesn't seem to bother me. That might be because I always hid (or pretended to) my real drinking. Anyway, I hope you can arrive at a workable solution.

OK, time to make it a good and sober day. Hang tough and remember to breathe.

Someone taught me something last week that was a big lightbulb moment for me.

I am like you, yet I couldn't work out how to stop this cycle. I know I need to stop listening to the thoughts that increase my frustration when things go wrong (which is often, cos life happens), but once I get frustrated impatience follows fast. And then I have to work on calming down. And it's not what I want.

The lightbulb moment was when I finally heard that the problem is the frustration itself. That is where I have a choice ~ MY behaviour. How I react. Choosing to react calmly and maturely means that I do not get impatient. Oh wow. Really? Yep.

It feels like an adult secret that I had missed out on knowing. :) :hug: s

....... :) :) Hi Joy!! :) :hug: ❤️

venuscat 10-23-2019 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by soberbythesea (Post 7294607)
That makes sense Pelagic. For me, my "real drinking" often did take place with significant others (him most recently, my ex before) and would cause huge problems in the relationships which is the main reason I'm trying to stop. I never hid my drinking, although I certainly did drink alone at times (a bottle of wine a night normally by myself after work, or more like a bottle and a half at my worst... UGH... that might not seem like a lot to many people but I feel sick just thinking about it.)

Anyway, we all have different triggers. For me, my bf having a glass of wine makes my AV go "oh maybe I'll have one with him, I can be a normal person and drink with dinner like normal people." Haha... yeah right.

Nothing bad happened on vacay from my drinking - we only got in one real argument the whole time and I'd only had two drinks at the time, so I feel confident that wasn't the reason why. But as Dee said to me once, the worst thing is when nothing bad happens, it starts you thinking you can drink normally again. I know eventually if I kept drinking, something bad would happen. Also, my body felt terrible compared to usual. I forgot how much worse I sleep when I drink and just generally feeling icky all the time :(

Sorry for the novel, not sure why I'm writing so much today, just feeling reflective. Hope everyone has a great day :)

Don't be sorry....I love reading your posts. :hug: s
I am sure everyone does. :)

Gosh I felt exactly the same way as you and even drank the same way. It caused the same problems too....just not feeling or sleeping well, and creating issues in my relationships.

Fast forward through my 30s and at some stage I stopped bothering with boyfriends at all: my no 1 love became wine. So I worked (mostly) and came home and drank a bottle and a half every night and missed out on my life.

:hug: ❤️

JulySeaCoast 10-23-2019 07:20 AM

Venus, that was me! I was getting close to the bottle and a half each night. I knew then it was over for me. No more drinking alcohol. I shall try the tip regarding frustration and mature responses.

I’m on my 24th sober day today. I’m in a general low mood as I get used to these new emotions and my own expectations re sobriety. I am having fun at work and have noticed my sense of humor is back.
Home is more difficult. My biggest trigger is the dinner hour. My H travels a lot and if I don’t need to make dinner I eat cereal or something quick. I have cooked but I keep it quick and simple.

Saturday we did go out to dinner and avoided sitting at the bar. We had a delicious meal and I had a Shirley Temple. The waitress asked jokingly if I wanted Vodka in it. I laughed and said no. I never drank hard liquor so it wasn’t a trigger. I am usually SO focused on the wine in front of me at a restaurant that I never really look around at other diners. I began to look around to see what folks were drinking. I noted that most diners seemed to make one glass of wine last through the meal. I would have likely been on my third glass then. Ugh. Embarrassing.

And actually, last year we were at this restaurant (it’s very tiny local place). H and I sat at the bar and ordered wine. The bartender is the friendly sort and was talking to us. I had a glass of white wine (always white wine). I drank it so freaking fast and she noticed and commented how fast I was. She asked if I wanted water. I didn’t. I just wanted another glass. That interaction has always stayed with me. I recall it in moments when I’m tempted to pour a glass, it’s a good tool to use among the others I use.

Have a lovely day, my friends of October. Much love, JSC

venuscat 10-23-2019 07:32 AM

I would have been on my third bottle by the end of dinner, especially if we were both drinking. And the bartenders don't judge....unfortunately alcoholics are their livelihood. In my experience the good ones just keep an eye out and take away keys and call cabs for people who have had too much.

We judge ourselves. We condemn ourselves....but guess what? None of us are doing that anymore. We changed. We are winning a battle against a disease. :)

soberbythesea 10-23-2019 08:08 AM

JulySeaCoast... my usual when going out to dinner has been one glass of wine per course. Of course you need champagne with the appetizer, red wine with the steak and port with dessert right? I'm not an alcoholic, I'm a wine connoisseur. Laughable. If drinking with others, maybe there'd be a bottle on the table, but honestly I usually preferred not -- especially in a bigger group -- because then, you have to worry about how much others are drinking and how much there is left. I remember that in Caroline Knapp's book Drinking: A Love Story she discusses how she always felt "grabby" around alcohol and I feel that way as well. Is there enough left in the bottle? Who else is drinking, how much are they drinking, will anyone notice or care if I order another?

My boyfriend usually finishes his glass of wine before I do and it's not because I'm more moderate, it's because he is. Finishing the glass isn't a big deal to him. To me, it is, because I can't stand for the glass to be empty. I need the comfort of seeing at least a few sips in it, at least until the waiter comes back and I can order another.

Ugh.

Thanks for all the support venuscat, it really helps. :)

taplow 10-23-2019 08:35 AM

Hello Octoberlings.
I hope you're all doing well. Everything seems in order on here. Had no sleep at all last night - didn't even drift off for a few minutes. So stayed up reading Jonathan Franzen - very good.
Just came back from doctor's and have to do my blood tests again as they don't make sense apparently. I don't know what's wrong with my blood - maybe it's not patriotic enough. My liver's okay though. I've got to hand it to my liver, but it can only do so much.
Though things are generally a bit rubbish I'm not at all miserable, even though I might look like someone whose smiling class has been cancelled.
I'm still in the game. Day 4 for me.
Best wishes all. Undrinkingly yours.

soberbythesea 10-23-2019 03:44 PM

Struggling this evening. i really wanted to place an order for wine with my grocery delivery service. instead I placed an order for some treats like soda, cookies and milk, candy, and a few other things I needed. It'll all be here in the next couple hours. I feel like I'm going minute by minute right now but i'm determined not to drink.

I don't want to be back here tomorrow or the next day telling you guys how I screwed up again. I don't want to disappear into thin air and have everyone know that I probably went back out. I really want to succeed with this even though it is hard, so I'm going to stay here and keep posting. I have Breaking Bad on the TV (been rewatching) and my cat beside me and I'm going to make it.

JulySeaCoast 10-23-2019 04:00 PM

Joining you, soberbythesea. OY. Cannot believe how much I want a glass or 5 of wine. Difficult evening. I am making dinner and nearly said eff it. I want wine.

Hold my hand sober, we will be strong together. We ain’t drinking tonight. NO WAY.

Zura 10-23-2019 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 7294397)
Hi Zura- there's no requirement to always respond to everyone. We all come at this forum thing different ways :)

D

Originally Posted by theVman31 (Post 7294507)
Welcome Sadforldr and welcome cccaaappp.

Like D said Zura it takes a while getting used to but the main thing is posting when you need it. Somebody might reply and a discussion kicks off. You may reply to someone and a discussion kicks off but there are zero obligation to get to know everbody.

As time goes by and we develop our sober time we will all get to know a little more about each other.

The most important thing is to keep up the good work.

Salutations to all

Originally Posted by venuscat (Post 7294706)
Encouragement and support vibes are wonderful :)
And sorry....I talk too much. :) :) :hug: s ❤️

Thanks Dee, Vman & Venuscat,
Dee, I was curious as to what it is about a forum thread that stumps me lol It is probably just that I am using all my concentration for self care and there's nothing left over, which is exactly how it needs to be for the moment and probably a good sign. One of my life lessons is learning to put myself first.....so progress! Yay me! Yes Vman, it will get easier the longer we are sober for sure! You absolutely don't talk too much Venuscat, I love your posts, they give me warm fuzzies.

As for me I am immersing myself in healing my mind and my poor body through my spiritual practice & reading, tending my organic edible garden (i ate my first homegrown lettuce leaves the other day and cant tell you all how wonderful it was) and taking the time to enjoy the simple things in life (like the joeys poking their heads out of their mumma's pouches across the road from my house then seeing them grow big enough to wander and graze). I am recovering from extreme heartbreak but I am moving on from that and very grateful for my beautiful life. Enough gooey mush from me (for now at least). Thinking of you all, keep fighting the good fight :grouphug:

soberbythesea 10-23-2019 04:18 PM

Awesome. Yep. No way :)

Just had some pizza. I'm continuing to watch TV and wait for my treats. Looking forward to some double chocolate cookies with milk soon.

sadforldr7 10-23-2019 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by soberbythesea (Post 7295014)
Awesome. Yep. No way :)

Just had some pizza. I'm continuing to watch TV and wait for my treats. Looking forward to some double chocolate cookies with milk soon.

I've had a rough go of it too soberbythesea...movies, snacks and small comforts help a bit, even if only minimally. I hope you find a way to find a little peace tonight.

I'm on day 8, getting little better day by day.

Angeleyes1111 10-23-2019 05:40 PM

Hello all!
Been awhile since i posted in this class. I am now just starting my fourth week into sobriety, about 24 days now with NO alcohol in my system. I am so done with that poison. Today i got so much done and it feels great to do it sober!.... I no longer have to be intoxicated to get things done. I use to need a good buzz going to even get the simplest of tasks done around the house. Today was a great day! Since ive stopped drinking..... I'm starting to feel more normal i suppose. I went to the movies to see RAMBO with my daughter a few nights ago, I've been getting out a lot more. No more being a hermit, stuck in my room, depressed and drinking to numb everything and to not "feel" anything.

I stayed with my mom and brother for my first 3 weeks of getting sober. Last night was my first night home. I was so scared to come back here, to the place were drinking was an every night thing , the place were my mind was in a very dark place. I listen to music while i'm cleaning and cooking, i'm laughing more, my skin is more clear, my eyes are brighter. i'm awake all day instead of being awake all night getting drunk and sleeping my days away until the late afternoon and into the evening sometimes, as if i were a vampire. I'd only come out at night, i wouldn't socialize with anyone until i was buzzed or drunk.

I never thought i'd make it this far when i first admitted to myself that i am an alcoholic. It's amazing how life changes for the better when we let go of the drug , weather it be alcohol, benzos, heroine, anything that affects our mind and body in a negative way. I know i still have a long road ahead of me and i might have good days and bad days but thanks to my family and everyone here on SR, i have a fighting chance.... a chance to be reborn again. So for anyone here that thinks you can't do it, you can! One hour at a time! :VA018:

P.S ...I am loving Sober October!
https://i.postimg.cc/9f11wfT7/beginnings.jpg

Zura 10-23-2019 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by JulySeaCoast (Post 7295002)
Joining you, soberbythesea. OY. Cannot believe how much I want a glass or 5 of wine. Difficult evening. I am making dinner and nearly said eff it. I want wine.

Hold my hand sober, we will be strong together. We ain’t drinking tonight. NO WAY.

I got your back JSC, way to tell that AV to eff it instead. I love hearing people using the phrase sober muscles. I always imagine those muscles being used to punch that voice in it's face, or prob more accurately, mouth. I was walking into the shop to get food one day and my AV said, not at all whispering, to get drinks too. From out of nowhere my conscience boomed profanities at it REALLY loudly. I was taken aback by this internal dialogue exchange feeling a little schitzo but quite pleased as for the first time went home with just my food. It sounds like your doing awesomely at keeping it all in check.

venuscat 10-23-2019 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by soberbythesea (Post 7294992)
Struggling this evening. i really wanted to place an order for wine with my grocery delivery service. instead I placed an order for some treats like soda, cookies and milk, candy, and a few other things I needed. It'll all be here in the next couple hours. I feel like I'm going minute by minute right now but i'm determined not to drink.

I don't want to be back here tomorrow or the next day telling you guys how I screwed up again. I don't want to disappear into thin air and have everyone know that I probably went back out. I really want to succeed with this even though it is hard, so I'm going to stay here and keep posting. I have Breaking Bad on the TV (been rewatching) and my cat beside me and I'm going to make it.

((((Hugs))))

Sorry I wasn't around earlier honey....had a 'me' day.....which is hard for me by the way but mega necessary occasionally....hope you are OK....well done and sending so much love. :hug: ❤️

venuscat 10-23-2019 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by JulySeaCoast (Post 7295002)

Nope. We are not. No hangovers tomorrow. No guilt. Just peace. :) :hug: s ❤️

soberbythesea 10-23-2019 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Sadforldr (Post 7295028)
I've had a rough go of it too soberbythesea...movies, snacks and small comforts help a bit, even if only minimally. I hope you find a way to find a little peace tonight.

I'm on day 8, getting little better day by day.

It really does help... the trick is convincing myself at the beginning of the night that that's a better choice than wine. Once I've decided not to drink and settled down with TV/cat/cookies/milk, those small comforts are a reminder that what I'm doing is self-care, which is actually kind of a big deal.

Congrats on day 8! That's huge. I hope to be back there soon :)

soberbythesea 10-23-2019 06:18 PM

Venuscat good for you! I hope you had a restorative 'me' day :)