SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of April 2019 Support Thread (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/437456-class-april-2019-support-thread.html)

Dee74 03-31-2019 06:40 PM

Class of April 2019 Support Thread

Welcome everyone!

this is the support thread for everyone who wants to quit drugs, alcohol or any kind of addiction this month of APRIL 2019

D

Strawberry18 03-31-2019 10:16 PM

Day 1 no alcohol and no smoking .
I ha 2.5 months AF until March had a beer in the beer garden . 2 days later had 3 beers at a meal . 4 days later had a glass of wine at dinner . In the last 2 weeks I didn't drink everyday . Nor did I get drunk once . I was drinking like a 'normal person' however everyday booze state crossing my mind . My heart rate on my Fitbit went up. My BP went up. My sleep was changeing . I didn't want to wake up in the morning .

it's better to be FREE .

Dee74 03-31-2019 10:39 PM

It is better to be free Strawberry - welcome aboard! :)

D

Strawberry18 03-31-2019 10:57 PM

Thanks Dee, x

NicLin 03-31-2019 11:05 PM

Checking in before turning in for DAY 4 done, going on my fiver tomorrow!

Night!

sath79 03-31-2019 11:20 PM

Day 3 done. Day 4 tomorrow. I’ve been trying for awhile now and I have changed up lots of things. Most importantly increasing my honesty with myself.. happy to be on this journey with you all!

Dee74 03-31-2019 11:26 PM

welcome NicLin and Sath :)

D

Tinkerbeau 03-31-2019 11:32 PM

Day 1 for me too, got 16 days last month then drank at weekend, so restarting

Strawberry18 03-31-2019 11:39 PM

Hi everyone , x

Red78 04-01-2019 01:40 AM

Not sure what I'm doing or how long this will last but I'm on day 3 and I know if I stay away from SR I don't get much sober time at all, so I'm here and I will take this one day at a time.

Dee74 04-01-2019 02:55 AM

Welcome red and tinkerbeau :)

D

ForeRight 04-01-2019 07:07 AM

Hello everyone. I'm one week in. I'm feeling really good today and excited to have made it through the weekend.

BlueWellies 04-01-2019 08:17 AM

Good morning everyone, I would like to join this class. Day 1 for me.

Sated 04-01-2019 01:03 PM

Hello! Day 1 for me. I found this site a few weeks ago when I was confronted with my own issues while dealing with some family members problems. My step son and my brother are struggling and as much as I say that I am a normal drinker, I have too much wine. So here I am. Facing my own issues.

Delilah1 04-01-2019 01:04 PM

Welocome to everyone committing to sobriety this month!! SR helped me get sober and stay sober for three years and three months (today). There is so much support on this site, read and post, and reach out when you're struggling.

Looking forward to seeing all of you!!

❤️Delilah

alcohollica 04-01-2019 01:15 PM

Hello to everyone. Day 1 for me. I do not drink everyday buy once I start I become a runaway freight train. I'm here to learn and hold myself accountable so that I can avoid slipping up in the future.

Red78 04-01-2019 02:24 PM

​​​​Day 4, didn't sleep well at all, feeling very agitated at work today, hoping I will get better sleep tonight.
Hope everyone has an awesome day today.

ForeRight 04-01-2019 02:59 PM

One week down. I feel like I am on a roller coaster of energy now. I was fired up and feeling great this morning. Now I'm crashing pretty hard and feeling exhausted. And all I've done is sit here at this desk all day.

This weekend I start a family vacation, and vacation has meant drinking to excess for me in the past. Preparing myself now.

Offthemast 04-01-2019 03:13 PM

Day 3 here. 3rd month this year I've been in a monthly thread. Did not last long the other tries. Had about 30 days last year. Something seems to have clicked but still prepared to fight the cravings which seem to get stronger every time I try to do this.

Got to a point where I drank pretty much the same as always but hangovers and withdrawl symptoms have gotten progressively worse. Shakiness, pain in back and legs/arms.

I've moved quite a bit for work this last year and drank pretty heavy every place. Mentally, physically, and spiritually it has taken its toll and brought me to the place where I cannot justify continuing on this path.

Glad to be here.

Dee74 04-01-2019 03:51 PM

Welcome Foreright, Sated, BlueWellies Alcohollica and Offthemast :)

D

snitch 04-01-2019 09:47 PM

Hey April's!

I am in the April 2018 class. So nearly a year sober which is a miracle.

I had tried many, many, many times to get sober. What was different this time??

1. Conceding to my innermost self that I am an alcoholic and I lose all power of control as soon I have taken that FIRST drink. Staying away from that first drink is VITAL.
2. Surrender! I surrendered to the fact that alcohol had me beat. When I drank it became my master. It was in total control.
3. Acceptance. Accepting that for some, alcohol is ok to drink.. For ME, it is deadly. I have an allergy. One drink sets off a craving for more that is never satisfied. One drink has the potential to kill. That is just MY reality. MY truth. And I accept that today. I have moments of self pity. Poor me, I cant drink like others. I write a gratitude list in these moments. What I have NOW because I am NOT drinking. The list is long!
4. Honesty. I had to get honest with the people I was closest to. My family. My partner. My friends. I had to tell them I am alcoholic! And I have to stop drinking. This is life or death. I couldn't pretend anymore that I was trying to quit for health. Or for weight I was quitting because I have a progressive, killer disease. The support I got was amazing. I am not sure I could have done it alone.
5. Staying away from that first drink and living sober....ahhh! If only it was as easy as just not picking up that first drink! Simple yes, easy no. For me I go to AA. AA has saved my life and is now showing me a way to live my life sober. The obsession to drink in the early days/months is strong. Powerful. How I got through the cravings? I prayed. Please God do not let me pick up a drink! I ate. Candy candy and more candy! I called another alcoholic. I went to a meeting. I posted on SR. I watched Netflix. I read recovery literature and also watched recovery documentaries..j learned about alcoholism. I went to bed early. Some days I wanted to crawl out of my skin the desire to drink was so strong. But I didn't pick up no matter what! Make getting your head on your pillow sober at night your main goal. Don't think about the future. Just take care of the next 24 hours

11 months later and my life has changed so much. Today I am starting to feel good about myself. I haven't done anything that I regret or I am ashamed of. I am a good daughter, sister and friend and most of all a sober and present mummy. I am stating to get all the things I never ever had when I was drinking. Peace of mind, serenity, happiness, and love. Sobriety is a beautiful gift and I never ever want to drink again.

You can all do this. If I can you can!!!! ♥️♥️♥️

NicLin 04-01-2019 10:24 PM

Checking in for my 5th day!!! This is the most I made last time, only last time I didn't have so many tools, especially the support of AA!

Feeling pretty good today, taking day by day but happy to be going to bed sober.

Tinkerbeau 04-01-2019 10:56 PM

Day 2 for me, hope everyone has a good day, lets all make it through the month sober together. Then the next and next .....

Strawberry18 04-01-2019 11:34 PM

Day 2 and a very busy day ahead, will check in tonigh

ForeRight 04-02-2019 07:50 AM

Hi everyone. I'm on day 9. I hope everyone is doing well.

Thank you for the inspiring post, snitch. Its encouraging to hear stories of success and good advice.

I'm trying to check in here at least once a day to make it a habit of keeping me grounded and avoiding complacency. I've gone for stretches before and then I always fall back to thinking my problem wasn't really that bad, I can control my drinking this time and I'll just have a few beers here or there, etc. NOT staying away from that first drink. Inevitably it always comes back to drinking daily and drinking to excess, and I feel terrible about myself.

So -- here I am. I commit to not drinking today.

Sated 04-02-2019 09:48 AM

Hi all! Day 2 for me. I used to be an athlete, I swam in school and a couple years ago I swam Alcatraz. Today was day 2 back in the pool. I felt stronger than yesterday but I cant believe I let myself get so out of shape. Why is wine more important that that elated feeling of jumping from a perfectly good boat into the dark, cold water in the San Fran bay and swimming to shore?? Wine makes me lazy and unmotivated.

ForeRight 04-02-2019 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Sated (Post 7156405)
Hi all! Day 2 for me. I used to be an athlete, I swam in school and a couple years ago I swam Alcatraz. Today was day 2 back in the pool. I felt stronger than yesterday but I cant believe I let myself get so out of shape. Why is wine more important that that elated feeling of jumping from a perfectly good boat into the dark, cold water in the San Fran bay and swimming to shore?? Wine makes me lazy and unmotivated.

So true! I worked out Saturday, walked the golf course on Sunday, and worked out again last night. Feel great (though I am SORE today). That's a good feeling.

BlueWellies 04-02-2019 10:10 AM

Good morning everyone. Day 2 for me. I'm going to start working my plan today.

Hope everyone has a great day. Thanks so much for being here.

Jojo1965 04-02-2019 10:49 AM

Hello Dee and all April friends,

I’m back...again.

Thought I’d slide on in and get settled. It’s always a relief to be back. Now to figure out how to never leave.
:grouphug:

Dee74 04-02-2019 03:51 PM

Welcome Jojo :)

D