SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Sugar Addiction Recovery Thread Part 4 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/436406-sugar-addiction-recovery-thread-part-4-a.html)

WaterOx 02-25-2019 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by venuscat (Post 7132750)
Yes.....please dump the energy drinks....and hello :hug:

:grouphug:

Having a pretty tough few days....it is not about sugar or any of this.....I got hurt very badly by my sister two weeks ago and it has damaged me profoundly: I am on shaky ground right now.

Venus I'm so sorry you're hurting. That's the sort of news that would shake anyone to the core. For what it's worth, I can't understand why she would do anything like this unless she's just not in a good place herself. Perhaps she's done it to many others as well?

In any case I'm glad you're sharing so others can have a chance to give back so much of what you give around here :)

Man, I don't know if it's just me but it seems like everyone is experiencing calamities, lately. Perhaps the year of The Boar is off to a rocky start.

PeacefulWater12 02-25-2019 09:50 PM

Good morning everyone, checking in for a grateful day of safe, clean eating.

Lots going on in my home at present so am grateful not to be in the food which would make it all harder to deal with.

Random thought, when I binge eat, I have no time. The binge eating/alcohol drinking uses up all of my day. There is nothing left. For me or for any I care about. A black hole.

I like it when I have 24 hours available in my day. Got a few household jobs this morning, then a treat of an hour of Yin Yoga at lunchtime then a lovely, chilled afternoon planned.

Sunflowerlife 02-26-2019 02:34 AM

Good morning everyone- Day 5 over here and feeling pretty good. I am finding myself with less time to hop online now that I am adding more prayer to my mornings and a daily inventory that I submit to my sponsor (food plan, gratitude list, something I like about myself and a free form writing.)

But I wanted to let you all know that I am thinking of you and that I am doing well. This entire concept of handing everything over to a power greater than myself is really blowing my mind. How did it take me so long to understand this concept? I believe it's all about timing- I was in AA as far back as 14 years ago and my first time in OA was 12 years ago and I just wasn't ready- and that's okay.

Very grateful for this group and for where my life is headed.
Have a great Tuesday everyone...

venuscat 02-26-2019 06:18 AM

WaterOx.....you are a darling....that meant so much to me.....and the last sentence was a reality check....it is not a calamity.....not unless I allow it to be. And I am not doing that anymore....in reality, I knew my sister was very sick years ago, one of the main reasons I wanted to leave Melbourne....she was a nightmare. Always having major dramas with someone in her life.....always blaming everyone else for her problems. A total victim. And not the woman my parents raised...way too much MDMA and God knows what other drugs.

PW.....OH JUST YES....binging is like drinking for me too: it takes my time and takes me away from me....so I am no longer available to the people I love or really anyone.

And Sunny....awesome sauce girl.....just wonderful news. :)

venuscat 02-26-2019 06:22 AM

Oh.....as for me and food.....we are becoming good friends again....the foods my body needs call me and I am listening. And cooking more.....and wanting to learn to cook a lot more wonderful healthy meals to add to my repertoire....it's fun....I guess I was never really into cooking because I lived by myself...so anything you make you kind of have to eat for a few days.

And I feel better and look better and I am ready for this cold to go away so I can start walking again. xx

WaterOx 02-26-2019 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by venuscat (Post 7133110)
WaterOx.....you are a darling....that meant so much to me.....and the last sentence was a reality check....it is not a calamity.....not unless I allow it to be. And I am not doing that anymore....in reality, I knew my sister was very sick years ago, one of the main reasons I wanted to leave Melbourne....she was a nightmare. Always having major dramas with someone in her life.....always blaming everyone else for her problems. A total victim. And not the woman my parents raised...way too much MDMA and God knows what other drugs.

PW.....OH JUST YES....binging is like drinking for me too: it takes my time and takes me away from me....so I am no longer available to the people I love or really anyone.

And Sunny....awesome sauce girl.....just wonderful news. :)

As hard as it is, I'm glad you're trying to keep some perspective. I brought it up only because my sister and I have not spoken to our own mother in 8 years. It's easy enough to take this personally but she has cut ties with nearly everyone in her life, no matter how close they were to her. My sister and I were just the last to go.
That's just one example why it's not really fair to take this personally, as heartbreaking as it can be.

PeacefulWater12 02-26-2019 11:32 PM

checking in for calm day on my plan of eating.

Sunflower79 02-27-2019 03:50 AM

Good morning. Just want to check in. I haven’t been doing that great lately. Having lots of anxiety and really wanting to drink again. I thought by now my cravings would have stopped but they haven’t. I broke down and ate ice cream yesterday. So today I am going to stay on plan and I will exercise as well. Husband is out of town until Saturday so things will be peaceful here.

venuscat 02-27-2019 06:15 AM

(((Sunflower))) ♥

I am 4 years and 4 months sober today.....and very grateful. But I am comfortable knowing that there will occasionally be times in life that drinking is on my mind again....it's OK, I have tools to deal with it.

I am never going to be one of those who say they are recovered....I believe this is an ongoing process, just as if I had diabetes. So sometimes I am not as strong, and I do more work to look after myself and keep myself safe....

You are amazing honey.....it is really not easy to deal with the stuff you are dealing with at home....I couldn't....just sending more love and hoping today is a better day for you. :hug: ♥♥

venuscat 02-27-2019 06:18 AM

This wasn't cutting ties dear WaterOx.....this was horrendous vitriol, and it was given all to me.....and knowing her, spread around Melbourne so that she is the poor sweet victim to the devil sister. I am never ever going back there now. Not even for my nephew's wedding. And good....we don't need to spend that kind of money for me to be miserable again....sure Australia is lovely, but so are lots of other places.... :hug: s

Sunflower79 02-27-2019 07:08 AM

Thank you Venus and I am sorry that you are struggling right now as well 💕

PeacefulWater12 02-28-2019 01:54 AM

Good morning all

Sunflower79 02-28-2019 04:11 AM

Good morning everyone. Stayed on plan yesterday and I feel so much better this morning. I hope you all are doing ok.

venuscat 02-28-2019 06:22 AM

Morning lovely ones....me too.... :)
And I also feel much better today....my husband can see the difference every day....and it is very nice of him to notice.....he is a sweetheart.

PeacefulWater12 03-01-2019 01:00 PM

Checking in. Eating was on track today.

venuscat 03-01-2019 01:58 PM

Also on track. Not having a good day though. :grouphug:

WaterOx 03-01-2019 06:40 PM

Venus, I'm glad you're taking the right steps for you. That's what's important.

I haven't had a very good day, either. I have no idea why. I've felt a depressive state wash over me like no one's business and haven't been able to shake it. It makes me feel even worse to know that I have every reason to feel grateful and no reason to feel blue. I hate that.

So anyhow I just finished a pint of Ben & Jerrys lol
Today marks 2 months sober.

PeacefulWater12 03-02-2019 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by WaterOx (Post 7135677)
Venus, I'm glad you're taking the right steps for you. That's what's important.

I haven't had a very good day, either. I have no idea why. I've felt a depressive state wash over me like no one's business and haven't been able to shake it. It makes me feel even worse to know that I have every reason to feel grateful and no reason to feel blue. I hate that.

So anyhow I just finished a pint of Ben & Jerrys lol
Today marks 2 months sober.

Congratulations on two months sober. I found it took quite a while for my emotions to get back in balance after I quit alcohol. The ups and downs continued but very gradually got less dramatic. They are pretty smooth now, only little blips along the way.

Be kind to yourself. No need to criticise, you are doing well.

venuscat 03-02-2019 05:53 AM

https://i.imgur.com/HbmZOW5.gif

on 2 months sober dear WaterOx! :) ♥♥

murrill 03-02-2019 08:17 AM

:headbange
Is my face red!!! I just posted on the other thread about not hearing from anyone lately. I somehow missed that a new thread had begun. I poured my heart out, owned all of my short-comings, all that. It was a masterpiece! Sorry you missed it
No, seriously, I am glad someone is taking care of the housekeeping and keeping all of this manageable. Even better, this thread is alive and well and thriving. So glad I discovered this new incarnation!
Hope everyone is well.
:You_Rock_

PeacefulWater12 03-02-2019 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by murrill (Post 7135954)
:headbange
Is my face red!!! I just posted on the other thread about not hearing from anyone lately. I somehow missed that a new thread had begun. I poured my heart out, owned all of my short-comings, all that. It was a masterpiece! Sorry you missed it
No, seriously, I am glad someone is taking care of the housekeeping and keeping all of this manageable. Even better, this thread is alive and well and thriving. So glad I discovered this new incarnation!
Hope everyone is well.
:You_Rock_

Glad you found the new thread, Murrill.

PeacefulWater12 03-02-2019 12:00 PM

Had good day with my eating. Feeling calm and well.

WaterOx 03-02-2019 05:45 PM

Hey all.

Not doing too great on the sugar front the last few days. As mentioned, ice cream. Then just today I ate a whole box of girl scout cookies in like half an hour. LOL! It's those peanut butter tagalogs man....too good. At any rate, I am proud that I only bought one box this entire time. This was their last day so there's one temptation I won't have to deal with for another year.

There's a funk going on that I just can't seem to shake. I keep trying to jump start, doing my best here, but I'm dragging. Could be the crappy sleep taking its toll...could be paws, could be life, sugar, caffeine, miscellaneous.

I think it's in the air. Whether real or imagined, there's some kind of funk going on. I talked to a colleague, asking her how she was and she said she was ok but felt like she wasn't...like she's just waiting for a shoe to drop. I told her I know exactly what she means and I think a lot of people are feeling that.

As for the caffeine, I'm rocking back and forth...down overall but not as low as I'd like it. My blood pressure seems to be edging downwards, slowly. That's definitely a plus.

Thanks for reading. Hope you're all well- and thank you for the congratulations. I have to admit I've been feeling some cravings as of late. Nothing too strong, but stronger than I've felt them since the last drink. Trying to stay close.

Sunflowerlife 03-03-2019 05:09 AM

7:17

What a whirlwind of a week energetically.
My marriage is at a crossroads- I am terrified and unsure but I am surrendering it all to the Divine. I cannot do this on will alone. I cannot be in charge here.

I was a mess when I started writing this comment but one of my best friends and spiritual teachers called me and I erased it all and started over. I will not give up or dwell in my egoic thoughts of misery. I will come out stronger, no matter what.

I also forgot I am celebrating 22 months sobriety today. For that I am proud.
I have 9 days of no sugar/flour or compulsive overeating. I have a lot to be grateful for.

Sending you love and support and surrender today. We cannot do this alone.

venuscat 03-03-2019 05:32 AM

I think the funk is real.... :hug:s

WaterOx 03-03-2019 07:05 AM

Me too, venus. The year of the pig has us rolling in the mud!

Sunflowerlife I'm really sorry to hear you're struggling with your marriage but really amazed at your progress, both in sobriety and sugar. Very inspiring!!

PeacefulWater12 03-03-2019 10:41 AM

I felt out of sorts today too. I felt ok when I woke up but it all went off kilter. Found it hard to detach from AH's alcoholic behaviours as I always do when I am off balance. They are no problem to me when I am in balance and spiritually strong. Pleased to say I stuck to my Plan of Eating and very much enjoyed it.

Sunflower79 03-03-2019 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by PeacefulWater12 (Post 7136672)
I felt out of sorts today too. I felt ok when I woke up but it all went off kilter. Found it hard to detach from AH's alcoholic behaviours as I always do when I am off balance. They are no problem to me when I am in balance and spiritually strong. Pleased to say I stuck to my Plan of Eating and very much enjoyed it.

I always appreciate your posts. You have many years of sobriety under your belt while being married to an alcoholic. It shows me that it is possible to be sober under any circumstance but your honesty also shows the struggles which is so helpful to others. I hope your day gets better and I’m glad you stuck to your plan 💕

PeacefulWater12 03-03-2019 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Sunflower79 (Post 7136692)

I always appreciate your posts. You have many years of sobriety under your belt while being married to an alcoholic. It shows me that it is possible to be sober under any circumstance but your honesty also shows the struggles which is so helpful to others. I hope your day gets better and I’m glad you stuck to your plan 💕

Thank you so much, Sunflower. That is kind of you.

murrill 03-03-2019 11:49 AM

I fell off the sugar wagon last night: Two ice cream sandwiches. It was my first sugar indulgence since mid-January. I am kind of disappointed in myself--not because I succumbed but because I ignored the warning signs. I was feeling restless, not especially at ease with food. I had settled into a routine of "safe" foods, but I had become bored.
If it matters, I didn't enjoy the ice cream sandwiches. As a recovered alcoholic who measures sobriety by abstinence, it is hard to wrap my head around those concepts within this context. I have trouble defining abstinence regarding an eating disorder, so I avoid counting days.
I guess I can make this "slip" count by turning it into a learning experience. Planning is paramount, I think, but I'm so tired. When my energy flags I revert to what is easy. I'll figure it out.