SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) #7 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/429749-power-sobriety-thread-post-7-a.html)

Gilmer 10-23-2018 07:28 PM

Have a wonderful time, Carlos!

stargazer016 10-23-2018 08:01 PM

Have a great trip Carlos!

FBL 10-24-2018 03:30 AM

Safe travels, Carlos! I'm sure they'll love you. :)

Moving forward on both book projects.

Rustoleum 10-24-2018 06:30 AM

Hi, Glee,

I am so sorry that your mother is so difficult and it is to your credit that you are handling this difficult situation so well. Now I am going to overstep into an area where I am totally out of my league, but here goes! People who love to spend frenetically are often bi-polar. What passes for selfishness might be mental illness. Forgive me for venturing here but I have known persons who do what your mother does, and they have the diagnosis.

I really admire your approach to,this terrible problem.

rusty

Gilmer 10-24-2018 07:01 AM

Nice to see you, Rustoleum! :wave:

courage2 10-24-2018 08:58 AM

Hi Rustoleum!

Happy travels to you & NE, Carlos!

FBL 10-25-2018 03:50 AM

We did a pre publication e-mail blast on my latest book project last night and we already have over 100 orders this morning! This is the project that I've been asking my boss to do for the past 5 years. I just knew there would be demand for it. So nice to see I was correct! :)

Gilmer 10-25-2018 04:16 AM

Congratulations, FBL! I'm so pleased that the public shares your vision!

Gilmer 10-25-2018 05:46 AM

FBL, please refresh my memory. What is your special project book about again? I looked back through this thread and Overs, but couldn't find the topic mentioned.

FBL 10-25-2018 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Gilmer (Post 7040935)
FBL, please refresh my memory. What is your special project book about again? I looked back through this thread and Overs, but couldn't find the topic mentioned.

It's called Radio & Records Top Pop Hits 1973-2009. Radio & Records was THE trade publication to read when I was working in radio. They did their own charts that were based on about 150 pop music stations across the US. Most of our books are based on Billboard magazine, so it took me awhile to convince the boss to actually do it.

Gilmer 10-25-2018 06:26 AM

Cool! Glad I asked--I don't think you actually told us anywhere.

stargazer016 10-25-2018 07:28 AM

Glad people are excited for your project FBL. Vindication is a wonderful feeling.

Hi Rustoleum!

I took all the AC units out of the windows yesterday, so I am prepared for a freaky heat wave to hit the east coast. I actually wouldn't mind with temps near freezing this morning.

Have a good day all!

stargazer016 10-26-2018 09:39 AM

My SAD hit me hard yesterday. Shortening days and cooler temps have triggered my annual depression since my college days. Nothing seemed to go right at work last night and I kept feeling fatalistic about things. Fortunately, I no longer try to drink my way out of it (which of course only worsened things) and am waiting for my meds to kick in and settle things out. Still a little down this morning, but no longer dealing with the depression spiral that used to plague me. I know we all get depressed for a day or so at a time and I am riding it out. Thankful to be dealing with things sober.

Hope everyone is doing well!

How is NE Carlos?

Have a good day all!

Gilmer 10-26-2018 12:41 PM

I'm so sorry, SG. I hope you meet with some serendipitous occasion of joy today.

Dee74 10-26-2018 04:29 PM

Sorry to hear that SG - hope you feel better soon :)

D

courage2 10-26-2018 04:45 PM

I'm sorry, stargazer. I was just thinking today about how badly my mind used to work -- both when I was depressed, which was usually, or when I was up. I hate those times. You're very wise to remember that you can ride it out. And no, no drinking. Drinking indulges depression. Ugh!

FBL 10-27-2018 03:28 AM

Star, hope you feel better soon. I love this time of year, so it's never been a problem for me. Self-care is a very important part of recovery.

I'm skipping the card shows this weekend. My heart says go, but the wallet says NO! :)

Have a great weekend, gang!

stargazer016 10-27-2018 06:17 AM

Thanks everyone! It is frustrating because I love the whole concept of Fall, cooler temps, great colors and everything else it brings.

FBL, are you close to wrapping up another year's worth of cards?

Hope things are moving along Courage.

Have a good weekend all.

FBL 10-27-2018 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by stargazer016 (Post 7042344)
FBL, are you close to wrapping up another year's worth of cards?

I'm working on a few different sets at the moment. I'm still about 100 cards away from completing my 1973 Topps Baseball collection.

gleefan 10-27-2018 10:54 AM

Hi everyone,
I’m getting ready to go to my friends memorial service. I have to go solo bc my husband is at a mandatory hockey training today. If he wants to coach he has to attend this. The national governing body for youth hockey is strict about this.

I can feel my nerves percolating. Having an anxiety issue adds a layer of complexity to it, but like Courage and SG said, in recovery I’ve had practice riding out these uncomfortable feelings.

Sg - Mindfulness helps me when things aren’t quite right. Also, the serenity prayer reminds me that everything will be ok. Is there anything that you really enjoy that you can do to perk up - read, go to the movies, plan your garden, dig out old music, etc?

I foind out Friday from HR that I made it to the next round of interviews for the position. Nothing was scheduled by the end of the workday Friday, but I suspect it’ll be this week.

Carlos - I hope going to NE with NE is wonderful! She sounds very sweet and loving. You deserve it!

FBL -Whst will you do with your free time away from the card shows?

gilmer - I hope you’re doing well, my friend!!

Have a good day everyone.

Gilmer 10-27-2018 02:59 PM

Thanks, Glee! :)

I am thrilled that you keep advancing to the next round of interviews! I’m praying that you get it and the challenge will be exhilarating!

And Carlos, I can’t wait till you’re back here to give us the complete scoop!

gleefan 10-27-2018 03:46 PM

I went to the wake. There were several people I don’t know and one other couple from back in the day.

Her mother was cold and flippant with me. “I haven’t seen you in a very long time.” She was also telling me how she is certain it was neurological disorder. Her mother’s admonishment has me a little twisted up, even though I know that it is unreasonable to expect anyone to truly “be there” though thick and thin with an addict in denial, a part of me felt guilty for any pain I may have caused her. I am so incredibly grateful for the recovery I have that allows me to keep moving forward.

Her sister was forthcoming about the illness, the addiction, the next steps for the children, and so on. It was a comfort to hear that the families are actively working through it.

I decided that in my friend’s memory, I am going to do 50 nice things (she was 50), random acts of kindness, and acts of patience, decency, grace, and goodness in her honor. Fifty is a lot. This is going to take a while. :)

courage2 10-27-2018 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by gleefan (Post 7042618)
I decided that in my friend’s memory, I am going to do 50 nice things (she was 50), random acts of kindness, and acts of patience, decency, grace, and goodness in her honor. Fifty is a lot. This is going to take a while. :)

How lovely. Thank you.

Gilmer 10-27-2018 05:06 PM

i was just going to say. That is lovely!

I'm sorry her mom was snarky. She probably felt very helpless as she watched her daughter slip away from her. She is most likely casting about to point blame at anybody but her daughter herself: "if friends like you hadn't abandoned her..."

FBL 10-28-2018 04:33 AM

Glee, sorry you had to put up with such nonsense. You are a shining example of recovery and you truly inspire me!

stargazer016 10-29-2018 01:53 AM

Glee, what a difficult situation to have found yourself in! We tend to forget that not only were we in total denial about our addictions, but often times those around us were too. Maybe her mother needs to believe that it was a neurological disorder so that she can close the books in her mind with inner peace? I am glad her sister realized the gravity of the situation, and the burden her children will be facing the rest of their lives. The serenity prayer pretty much sums things up, doesn't it?

Many congrats on making it to the next round of interviews. It has to be confidence building for you to make it this far on your first go around. Even if things don't pan out as hoped for this time, you will be better prepared for the next potential opening and certainly will be on any short list for a new advancement opportunity. Of course, I am pulling for you to get this position and NOW!

I hope everyone else is doing well and have a good Monday all!

gleefan 10-30-2018 04:48 PM

You all are so nice. Thank you for the comforting words about my friend’s passing. I appreciate it.

Thank you too for all the positive vibes about the job. I’m still waiting - and wondering. Meanwhile the role I’m in now has a newer leader who I don’t trust yet. She’s made little effort to create rapport. I can see that my boss is tense, locked away in meetings. I know I’m not getting the recognition I need, so I am trying to find good ways to share what I’m doing. This is a bit of a stretch for me but I’ve got to look out for myself.

Fbl - My kids were up late on a school night celebrating the Sox win! In CT professional sports allegiances are so divided that we don’t get to revel in a win like the city where it happened. Only if UConn wins something.

Sg - How are you feeling? Between SAD and the changes to your schedule, I bet your internal clock is confused. I hope you’ve found some good ways to stay engaged.

The girl on my team who sits in front of me at work is extremely hard working and polite, She shared with me that she has generalized anxiety. I have seen an increase in her mood issues as the days have gotten shorter. I’ve felt responsible for some of her frustration recently, wondering if what I’m sharing with her about my strategy through the department politics is making her feel bad about the department, but you have helped me realize that it’s not always about me. (:)). It could be about the way the season affects her.

Today she told me she’s unmotivated and disengaged. She is top top talent and we will work through this together. It was an amazing opportunity to see myself mirrored to me! I have learned to look for flittle things in my day to enjoy to keep myself engaged. We both have to work on optimism, and I hope she will find it engaging to approach it together as colleagues.

Gilmer 10-30-2018 05:21 PM

I'm sure you are encouraging and inspiring her, Glee. The nicest thing is that I'm sure she cannot help but pick up that you genuinely LIKE her, APPRECIATE her, and RESPECT her! It is so nice to feel that you have a true ally!

FBL 10-31-2018 03:53 AM

Glee, I was happy the Sox won. The Dodgers did not endear themselves to us here in Milwaukee. :)

I'll be listening to scary songs at work all day. Halloween was always my favorite holiday when I was a kid, just beating out X-mas.

FBL 11-01-2018 04:46 AM

Stayed up late last night for my online recovery meeting. We had a fun time and even told some ghost stories.

I'm heading into the home stretch on my boss's 1957 book project. Will hopefully get something for him to proof by the weekend.