SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of March 2016 part 67 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/424877-class-march-2016-part-67-a.html)

Bobbieka 03-15-2018 07:18 AM

Thought for the Day

We alcoholics were on a merry go-round, going round and round, and we couldn't get off. That merry go round is a kind of hell on earth. In A.A. I got off that merry go-round by learning to stay sober. I pray to my Higher Power every morning to help me to keep sober. And I get the strength from that Power to do what I could never do with my own strength. I do not doubt the existence of that Power. We're not speaking into a vacuum when we pray. That Power is there, if we will use it. Am I off the merry go round of drinking for good?

Meditation for the Day

I must remember that in spiritual matters I am only an instrument. It is not mine to decide how or when I am to act. God plans all spiritual matters. It is up to me to make myself fit to do God's work. All that hinders my spiritual activity must be eliminated. I can depend on God for all the strength I need to overcome those faults that are blocks. I must keep myself fit, so that God can use me as a channel for His spirit.

Prayer for the Day

I pray that my selfishness may not hinder my progress in spiritual matters. I pray that I may be a good instrument for God to work with.

ManInTheArena 03-15-2018 07:25 AM

Morning All,

Caramel, just echoing the thoughts of everyone else. Glad you are there for her.

Purps, nice decision making - I think that's 80% of the battle.

Lillian, of course another wonderful post - Thank you.

Sam, it will get better - hang in there.

I am feeling a little better at the moment - that anxiety thing has mostly passed and my mood is on the upswing. I'm trying to keep an even keel, but life has its ups and downs!!

Have a great day everyone :)

venuscat 03-15-2018 07:25 AM

Love to you darling Bobbie. :hug: ♥

And to all of you.

ManInTheArena 03-15-2018 07:29 AM

On Friends, I was a big fan of the early years - lost a little interest the last few seasons. The episodes with Bruce Willis were terrific, as were the ones with Brad Pitt.

Seinfeld is possibly the greatest TV show of all time - there seems to be an episode that's appropriate for every life occurrence!

venuscat 03-15-2018 07:31 AM

In my dad's final couple of years, he was so sick and old and lonely.....we spent a lot of time watching Seinfeld. He loved it as do I....we watched favourite eps over and over....my sisters couldn't stand it. It made him so happy....gosh I am going to cry now.

KiKi0615 03-15-2018 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by samantha14 (Post 6823357)
Morning.

Caramel - so glad to hear your daughter will be okay. Very scary to think how quickly everything can change. Sending love.

Well I hate to say it but I’m struggling. No reasons or excuses - they’re kinda the same thing anyways. So just saying it out loud. I won’t drink today.

Happy Thursday.

Hang in there Sam. I’ve included you in my daily prayers. Love u

KiKi0615 03-15-2018 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Bobbieka (Post 6823544)
Thought for the Day

We alcoholics were on a merry go-round, going round and round, and we couldn't get off. That merry go round is a kind of hell on earth. In A.A. I got off that merry go-round by learning to stay sober. I pray to my Higher Power every morning to help me to keep sober. And I get the strength from that Power to do what I could never do with my own strength. I do not doubt the existence of that Power. We're not speaking into a vacuum when we pray. That Power is there, if we will use it. Am I off the merry go round of drinking for good?

Meditation for the Day

I must remember that in spiritual matters I am only an instrument. It is not mine to decide how or when I am to act. God plans all spiritual matters. It is up to me to make myself fit to do God's work. All that hinders my spiritual activity must be eliminated. I can depend on God for all the strength I need to overcome those faults that are blocks. I must keep myself fit, so that God can use me as a channel for His spirit.

Prayer for the Day

I pray that my selfishness may not hinder my progress in spiritual matters. I pray that I may be a good instrument for God to work with.

I was just about to post this Bobbie. Ha! I really relate to this...especially the merry-go-round part. I’m so glad to be off of it. I hate merry-go-rounds! :scared:

KiKi0615 03-15-2018 09:27 AM

Well...today is day 75. Nice even (or odd?) number. I’m gonna go for a run, hang out with my son who is home from college & watch basketball & then we are going out to dinner tonight with some family. No meeting today. I am praying for driving privileges on Monday so I can get to some meetings that are hard to get to on my bike. Ha.

Have a great day!

PeacefulRain 03-15-2018 10:36 AM

My pie was sooooo good but I think it kept me up last night. I eat very little sugar, I just don’t have a sweet tooth, and that was the last thing I ate. I slept horribly 😐 Pi day was a lot of fun for the kids making a strawberry pie and of course pizza pie. My kitchen is still wrecked but the memories were worth it.

Sam we are alcoholics, we don’t need a reason or excuse. Most of the time when I fall off the wagon there isn’t a reason. The reason is simply because I wanted to drink. Sending lots of prayers your way. (((HUGS)))

venuscat 03-15-2018 12:00 PM

I don't eat much sugar either and my rule is no sugar (or food actually) for about 3 hours before bed. I don't always do it perfectly but I try. I believe that eating too late and sugar is one of the reasons so many people have sleep issues.

If I have anything with sugar late I spend most of the night wide awake and bouncing off the walls.

Purplrks3647 03-15-2018 01:43 PM

Hello Sweethearts ~ Just checking in, heading off to see a play at my nephew's school. I'll check back in when I get home! :tyou

Bobbieka 03-15-2018 02:01 PM

Checking in before I head out the door. Home group tonight. That's my favorite night. I was just asked to speak next week and tell my story. Ugh. New one for me. You all will definitely be in my story.

Have an awesomely awesome rest of the day, guys! If I don't check back in, see you at startin' fluid time.

PhoenixJ 03-15-2018 02:25 PM

Seinfeld is the master at targeting the petty side of human nature...picking your nose, she has big hands, he never makes any noise. The one I last saw was when all of them were in a small country court- being put on trail for all their pettiness and nasty comments. Including soup nazi.

B- my once sponsor and always friend is a bit of a smart arse. I told him once he is always wrong. Confidently he demanded to prove this. So I told him to pick a number between one and ten. He thought about that and said 'ok'. I asked him what number he chose...he said '7'. I shook my head and informed him he was wrong. He started arguing how stupid this was, but I just cut him off and quietly kept reminding him that even debating being wrong- was wrong.
Very sore from yoga...bits of me do not like being stretched, which is why I go- to prevent contractures.

Pelagic263 03-15-2018 03:01 PM

Hi to all the Marchers. I gotta get my butt back in here. It was two years today that I joined SR and it's been a heck of a rollercoaster. Last year I managed almost six months sober. Since New Year's Eve it's been a disaster. So much for resolutions.

I want to apologize to Thirteenth for whatever I posted a while back. I was a mess. Anyway, my point is you're still young and you're worth it. I'm a little older but some days it feels like the end of the world. That's where this stuff goes. It's deadly serious.

So I'm coming back, a little tapering left. I'm frankly a little scared of the BP stuff. I'm not on medication anymore and getting back on it is tantamount to an admission, which will soon be classified as a "pre-existing condition" and then you're just out. No one can afford healthcare unless we all work together.

I was out in Ohio lately and you see roadside signs everywhere for fundraising: "Kidney for Kyle, Donate Now." Really? That's how you want to do this? It's a tough problem, though, I know.

I haven't talked about this much, but my alcoholism is directly related to my personality disorder. It's a doozie and it emerged when I was about 14-15. It's called Avoidant Personality Disorder (AvPD) and a guy named Theodore Millon sort of wrote the book on personality disorders. He eventually broke AvPD into four subtypes and--all my luck--I got the worst of them. "Self-deserting, depressive features."

"Blocks or fragments self-awareness; discards painful images and memories; casts away untenable thoughts and impulses; ultimately jettisons self (suicidal)."

As you can imagine, alcohol is a pretty quick way to accomplish all that.

I typically know more about this than therapists, although I'm sure their are some excellent ones out there. I did research all my life, just couldn't make it stick. I know what to do, but making it stick?

I want to make it stick. So I'm coming back to all of you. I have enjoyed this class so much, and I see people from all walks of life dealing with it and succeeding. I want to succeed too!! We may never meet, and I'm obviously the "odd man out," but, well, you guys ROCK! Thanks for putting up with my rambling. I'm back on the road in a few days (thank God!) but I will check in every day.

:You_Rock_

Bobbieka 03-15-2018 03:37 PM

Well, first, you are in no way, the odd man out. You’re one of us, whether you like it or not. You are probably one of the most intelligent people I know (Lillian is up there with you) and your intelligence might be what gets in your way. I’m going to look up your disorder, but if you could take one suggestion from me? Go for broke. Do it all. Find a good meeting, might take you a few tries to find the right fit, but try until you find one you like. Find a good therapist. Focus on your addiction. I know you’re not much of a believer, but try meditation. There are awesome guided ones. I mean, what do you have to lose? Throw it all at the walk and see what sticks.

Glad you’re back. Time to stay here. You’ve been missed.

Bobbieka 03-15-2018 03:42 PM

Well, that’s a doozy. How did you teach?!? See you’re already stronger than the diagnosis. You’re doing this, P, and you’re doing it with us. Hugs, my friend.

Pelagic263 03-15-2018 04:49 PM

Thanks, Bobbie. I was actually very good in the classroom, and colleagues were always surprised when I told them the trick was "acting."

It wasn't me after all. And having seen a lot of Broadway plays, I can tell you that "acting" is just about magical. I'll never forget Nathan Lane in Eugene O'Neill's "The Iceman Cometh." The title is basically a dirty joke and it's just about interminably long, but Lane simply nailed the performance! And it's a play about dead-end drunks in a flophouse no less.

Maybe I can "act sober." It was really nice actually.

venuscat 03-15-2018 05:58 PM

Just glad you have made the decision to leave this behind you Pelagic....one day at a time. With all of us. :hug: ♥

Purplrks3647 03-15-2018 06:16 PM

Welcome back Pelagic! So good to see you :)

I'm glad I went to the play ~ it was a "Cat in the Hat" musical and my nephew was one of the Whos....it was so cute! I'd like to be involved with my nieces and nephews without being drunk every time they see me!

Thirteenth 03-15-2018 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Pelagic263 (Post 6824074)
I want to apologize to Thirteenth for whatever I posted a while back. I was a mess. Anyway, my point is you're still young and you're worth it. I'm a little older but some days it feels like the end of the world. That's where this stuff goes. It's deadly serious.

I can't accept your apology because I don't see any need for you to apologize. I read your post, seemingly, exactly as you just explained. You're a bit older, wiser, dealt with it more; thus, you said what I should have already figured out, it's damn serious. I took no offense then and I take no offense now because you are and were right.

I do disagree with your odd man out part. If anything, I always feel like that's me. But really it's a function of the drinking and maybe feeling isolated. Feeling like I'm the only one who falls consistently. There are no odd men or women out here, we're all the same in trying to get better. I try to remember that each time I'm hesitant to post because I'm not sober. I'm glad to see you back.

Going back to the Seinfeld discussion, big fan. Never got into Friends but a clip or two get a chuckle. I don't like it, but I don't dislike it. And is Jennifer Aniston ageless?