SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Cheers for Venuscat Part Three (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/407905-cheers-venuscat-part-three.html)

wpainterw 04-28-2017 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Kris47 (Post 6433813)
I agree with you Bill but no, you're not My Brother-in- law as he would have been 107. You could be a fine friend as you probably would not want to be part of the family. We all love our flowers though and like to band birds. Many of us have chosen the lake over the cemetery. Too many skeeters there at the lake.

I drove by the cemetery today. So beautiful in the Spring. But no cherry trees. Bradford Pears. I shall plant a little cherry tree if they allow that.

Bill.

venuscat 04-28-2017 06:48 PM

Nick bought me some lovely things this evening....I am incredibly spoilt. :) ♥

Our cutie little birdhouse:

http://i.imgur.com/s1WtpoX.jpg

And the tiniest succulents in the tiniest ceramic pots ever....adorable huh? :)

http://i.imgur.com/OxE2GGq.jpg

venuscat 04-28-2017 06:55 PM

And this.....hard to photograph inside; it is a daisy light for our garden.

http://i.imgur.com/dlRY0aM.jpg

GroundhogDay 04-29-2017 05:42 AM

Very pretty, Venuscat. Garden is taking on a magical quality.

wpainterw 04-29-2017 09:01 AM

All right everyone! Listen Up!
It's time to watch Peter Sellers in the movie "Being There". Chauncey Gardner assuring us that "All will be well in the garden!" ("After Spring comes Summer, etc"). And don't miss Shirley MacLaine in the bedroom scene! I'm sure you can find a way to stream it on to your computer or TV. Plantomania! Plantaholics Anonymous! Vegetable Virgins!

Bill and The Boz.

Gilmer 04-29-2017 11:31 AM

That's a great movie!

Kris47 04-29-2017 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by wpainterw (Post 6433954)
I drove by the cemetery today. So beautiful in the Spring. But no cherry trees. Bradford Pears. I shall plant a little cherry tree if they allow that.

Bill.

I meant to say we choose the lake over the cemetery as the cemetery has too many skeeters in the woods to bug those buried there.

Our cemetery grounds are beautiful lush grass with purple phlox as well in the spring and big massive oaks.

Kris47 04-29-2017 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by wpainterw (Post 6435294)
All right everyone! Listen Up!
It's time to watch Peter Sellers in the movie "Being There". Chauncey Gardner assuring us that "All will be well in the garden!" ("After Spring comes Summer, etc"). And don't miss Shirley MacLaine in the bedroom scene! I'm sure you can find a way to stream it on to your computer or TV. Plantomania! Plantaholics Anonymous! Vegetable Virgins!

Bill and The Boz.

Ah Chauncey Gardner, "by chance I am a gardener." :)

Kris47 04-29-2017 01:07 PM

Love everything especially the birdhouse.

You may want to live in your special garden. ;)

SoberLeigh 04-29-2017 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by venuscat (Post 6434533)
Nick bought me some lovely things this evening....I am incredibly spoilt. :) ♥

Our cutie little birdhouse:

http://i.imgur.com/s1WtpoX.jpg

And the tiniest succulents in the tiniest ceramic pots ever....adorable huh? :)

http://i.imgur.com/OxE2GGq.jpg

So very pretty, Suze :)

SoberLeigh 04-29-2017 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by venuscat (Post 6434540)
And this.....hard to photograph inside; it is a daisy light for our garden.

http://i.imgur.com/dlRY0aM.jpg

Tres cool.

Gilmer 04-29-2017 04:17 PM

"Oh, CHAUNCEY!!!" :lmao:

In 2005 I helped my MIL track down what happened to her great-great uncle who was a Union private in the Civil War.

He was sick as a dog with respiratory infections most of the time. His regiment fought and was commemorated at Gettysburg, but he wasn't listed with them on the memorial; he had been stuck in the hospital in Philadelphia.

When he was finally able to fight in a campaign, he was captured in the first fight of the morning at the Battle of the Wilderness and shipped immediately to the notorious Andersonville Prison. After two years there, he was transferred to the prison in Florence, SC, which was even more brutal.

Finally the prisoners were set free, and he was transported to Wilmington, NC to be sent home; however, he was so ill that he was put into the makeshift hospital at City Hall. He never made it home; he died and was buried in a Union cemetery, with no identification except the number 1002.

When I took my MIL to that cemetery, she walked up and down the rows until she found his grave.

After his life of hell, he ended up buried in the shade of a big, beautiful magnolia tree.

We were grateful.

Kris47 04-29-2017 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Gilmer (Post 6435767)

In 2005 I helped my MIL track down what happened to her great-great uncle who was a Union private in the Civil War.

He was sick as a dog with respiratory infections most of the time. His regiment fought and was commemorated at Gettysburg, but he wasn't listed with them on the memorial; he had been stuck in the hospital in Philadelphia.

When he was finally able to fight in a campaign, he was captured in the first fight of the morning at the Battle of the Wilderness and shipped immediately to the notorious Andersonville Prison. After two years there, he was transferred to the prison in Florence, SC, which was even more brutal.

Finally the prisoners were set free, and he was transported to Wilmington, NC to be sent home; however, he was so ill that he was put into the makeshift hospital at City Hall. He never made it home; he died and was buried in a Union cemetery, with no identification except the number 1002.

When I took my MIL to that cemetery, she walked up and down the rows until she found his grave.

After his life of hell, he ended up buried in the shade of a big, beautiful magnolia tree.

We were grateful.

A dignified place for a dignified man. Thanks for sharing your story, Gilmer.

venuscat 04-29-2017 05:43 PM

Nick and I had a bit of a rough day.
So I bought us more plants. :)

On the way home with them now. ♡

venuscat 04-29-2017 08:00 PM

Cannot wait to show you the garden tomorrow....we are both very happy with it.
And we will have a barbecue ~ cannot bring myself to say grill :) in a week. A very cute charcoal one, and then we will really be cooking. :)
I know, terrible joke.

It feels really wonderful to have our courtyard almost done....we did all of this together. Sure, some of this has been a struggle for both of us, (not the courtyard of course; we have had a lot to learn about each other) but we get over every hurdle and come out stronger.

Love and recovery is a very powerful combination. :) ♥

Goat 04-29-2017 08:15 PM

I can't wait to share pictures... the garden is amazing. I mean, really amazing. It's like a fairyland.

Yes, we did it together... but credit for this masterpiece goes to Suze. She has turned our courtyard into a warm, comfortable, beautiful, joyful place.

venuscat 04-29-2017 08:36 PM

^^^ Thank you. I love you my darling. ♥

SoberLeigh 04-29-2017 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Gilmer (Post 6435767)

We were grateful.

Heavens, what an experience it must have been tracking down your MIL's great-great uncles burial place.

I am glad that she was able to find his resting place under a big, beautiful magnolia and pay her respects to him.

SoberLeigh 04-29-2017 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by venuscat (Post 6435862)
Nick and I had a bit of a rough day.
So I bought us more plants. :)

On the way home with them now. ♡

More plants :c011:

SoberLeigh 04-29-2017 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Goat (Post 6435967)
I can't wait to share pictures... the garden is amazing. I mean, really amazing. It's like a fairyland.

Yes, we did it together... but credit for this masterpiece goes to Suze. She has turned our courtyard into a warm, comfortable, beautiful, joyful place.

Looking forward to seeing the photos :)