SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   On My Way # 5 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/402911-my-way-5-a.html)

SoberLeigh 03-03-2017 10:59 AM

I've been spending a significant amount of time with the heating pad, too, GC. It does offer some relief.

Hope that your daughter and her friend have a wonderful time in Ireland.

Gonnachange 03-03-2017 12:17 PM

It's official! I've been selected via the lottery to run the NYC Marathon. I'm both excited and nervous.

SoberLeigh 03-03-2017 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Gonnachange (Post 6353549)
It's official! I've been selected via the lottery to run the NYC Marathon. I'm both excited and nervous.

Great news, GC. Congratulations!!!!!!

Gonnachange 03-03-2017 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh (Post 6353554)

Great news, GC. Congratulations!!!!!!

Thanks SL. I've run many fine races, but this one is my favorite. The logistics of getting to the starting line are not easy, but once the cannon goes off and the ascent on the Verrazano Bridge starts all that is forgotten.

SoberLeigh 03-03-2017 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Gonnachange (Post 6353574)
Thanks SL. I've run many fine races, but this one is my favorite. The logistics of getting to the starting line are not easy, but once the cannon goes off and the ascent on the Verrazano Bridge starts all that is forgotten.

:scoregood. I am so excited for you!

Gonnachange 03-03-2017 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh (Post 6353575)

:scoregood. I am so excited for you!

And now you get to read my whining about training and assorted aches. :lol:

SoberLeigh 03-03-2017 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Gonnachange (Post 6353623)
And now you get to read my whining about training and assorted aches. :lol:

Looking forward to it!!!!!! :)

Gonnachange 03-03-2017 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh (Post 6353629)
Looking forward to it!!!!!! :)

Stay tuned, they're coming. :-)

SoberLeigh 03-03-2017 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Gonnachange (Post 6353642)
Stay tuned, they're coming. :-)

I have my dial set!!!!

Gonnachange 03-04-2017 08:29 AM

My wife and I were at the gym at 9 for a strength and stamina class. It was similar to the one I took Wednesday night, but tougher. We'll be back tomorrow AM for more.

Our plans for the rest of the day are in the limbo stage. One of our dearest friends is dying of cancer; although she is being treated at one of, if not the, best cancer hospital in the world she has not responded to any of the treatments and the f**king disease keeps spreading. When I spoke with her yesterday she wasn't sure if she was up to having anyone stopping by today so we left it that she'll call this afternoon when she assesses how she's feeling. At best we'd only stay about one hour with no expectation for her or her husband to do anything but sit and talk, but it's totally understandable if she doesn't feel up for any visitors.

On a much lighter note, depending upon how the afternoon goes, if we're home for dinner I plan on reverse searing rib eye steak and serving it with twice baked potatoes and asparagus.

Gonnachange 03-05-2017 06:16 AM

I'm going to be at the gym in about 30 minutes and after that me and my wife are going to a St. Patrick's Day party at a friend's house whose town is hosting a parade this afternoon.

No cooking for me today.

Midwest1981 03-05-2017 02:43 PM

Congratulations Gonnachange!

SoberLeigh 03-05-2017 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Gonnachange (Post 6354524)
My wife and I were at the gym at 9 for a strength and stamina class. It was similar to the one I took Wednesday night, but tougher. We'll be back tomorrow AM for more.

Our plans for the rest of the day are in the limbo stage. One of our dearest friends is dying of cancer; although she is being treated at one of, if not the, best cancer hospital in the world she has not responded to any of the treatments and the f**king disease keeps spreading. When I spoke with her yesterday she wasn't sure if she was up to having anyone stopping by today so we left it that she'll call this afternoon when she assesses how she's feeling. At best we'd only stay about one hour with no expectation for her or her husband to do anything but sit and talk, but it's totally understandable if she doesn't feel up for any visitors.

On a much lighter note, depending upon how the afternoon goes, if we're home for dinner I plan on reverse searing rib eye steak and serving it with twice baked potatoes and asparagus.

Prayers for your friend, GC.

How I abhor that insidious disease . . .

Gonnachange 03-06-2017 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Midwest1981 (Post 6356045)
Congratulations Gonnachange!

Thanks Midwest.

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh (Post 6356060)
Prayers for your friend, GC.

How I abhor that insidious disease . . .

Thank you SL; the disease is just horrible.

Today

Monday morning fun with my trainer:

2 warm up rounds of:
30 jumping jacks
20 squats
10 pushups

3 rounds of:

Bb flat bench presses
Db flat flyes
Db incline bench presses
Standing Bb curls
Push ups
Leg raises

Mostly it went well, but I had a lot of trouble with the pushups.

Dinner tonight is going to be cauliflower fried rice that will also use the leftover steak from Saturday's dinner.

SoberLeigh 03-06-2017 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Gonnachange (Post 6357024)
Thanks Midwest.

Thank you SL; the disease is just horrible.

Today

Monday morning fun with my trainer:

2 warm up rounds of:
30 jumping jacks
20 squats
10 pushups

3 rounds of:

Bb flat bench presses
Db flat flyes
Db incline bench presses
Standing Bb curls
Push ups
Leg raises

Mostly it went well, but I had a lot of trouble with the pushups.

Dinner tonight is going to be cauliflower fried rice that will also use the leftover steak from Saturday's dinner.

Was your trainer a drill sergeant, GC?

Gonnachange 03-06-2017 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh (Post 6357033)
Was your trainer a drill sergeant, GC?

Funny you should ask that because although he never served his father was a US Marine.

If someone would have asked me two years ago if I was interested in hiring a trainer I would have emphatically said, "No.", but he was doing great things for my wife and I have to admit that he's helping me since we partnered. Most of the trainers in my gym, especially for someone like me with lots of knowledge and experience, are not worth paying for, but he absolutely is.

Gonnachange 03-07-2017 10:57 AM

Today is going to be a low activity day; some walking and stretching will be the extent of my exercise.

Dinner tonight is going to be portabella stuffed with sautéed spinach and garlic and topped with mozzarella cheese.

Gonnachange 03-08-2017 06:10 AM

Exercise for the day is going to be a strength and stamina class at 6:30 tonight. I'll also get a few miles of walking done.

Dinner is going to be black beans and rice with the meat from smoked chicken leg quarters thrown in.

Gonnachange 03-09-2017 01:19 PM

Not much on the exercise front as I unexpectedly was out of the house for most of the day; I'm not using it as an excuse, just to point out that I haven't done much. Yet.

Dinner tonight is going to be pork tenderloin with mango chutney and a side salad.

SoberLeigh 03-09-2017 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Gonnachange (Post 6360769)
Not much on the exercise front as I unexpectedly was out of the house for most of the day; I'm not using it as an excuse, just to point out that I haven't done much. Yet.

Dinner tonight is going to be pork tenderloin with mango chutney and a side salad.

Yum!!!!! :)

Gonnachange 03-09-2017 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh (Post 6360810)

Yum!!!!! :)

Thanks.

It will be tasty, nutritious, and not need a lot of active time, the last being important because someone (????) still has about 120 pages to read for his book club tomorrow night. :headbange

SoberLeigh 03-09-2017 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Gonnachange (Post 6360820)
Thanks.

It will be tasty, nutritious, and not need a lot of active time, the last being important because someone (????) still has about 120 pages to read for his book club tomorrow night. :headbange

You'll make it, especially if you are enjoying the book!

Gonnachange 03-09-2017 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh (Post 6360835)
You'll make it, especially if you are enjoying the book!

Thanks for the confidence. I've always finished the book and will do so this time also. And yes, I'm enjoying it. It's The Ghost Map by Steven Johnson and is a story about the outbreak of cholera in London in 1854 and intertwines stories about the spread of the disease, the rise of cities, and how a multidisciplinary approach helped modernize how the medical community fought the disease. The author has a style that I've taken to and even though I have no medical training I'm able to follow what's going on. I would definitely read another of his books, this is my first, and since I have to go to the library to get some vacation books I may pick one up next week.

SoberLeigh 03-09-2017 03:08 PM

Thanks for the 'recommendation', GC.

Gonnachange 03-10-2017 07:52 AM

Yesterday was 65F and sunny with nary a cloud in the sky. Today is 30F and snowing. Crazy stuff. We were forecasted to have 2-3 inches and we already have 3 with the white stuff still coming down.

I was at the gym this AM for a 5x5 leg workout of squats, extensions, and calf raises.

No cooking for me tonight because I have a book club meeting. I still have about 30 pages to read, but that will surely get done in time.

SoberLeigh 03-10-2017 08:28 AM

Crazy stuff, indeed!

Hang in; Spring is just around the corner.

Enjoy the weekend!

Gonnachange 03-10-2017 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh (Post 6361850)
Crazy stuff, indeed!

Hang in; Spring is just around the corner.

Enjoy the weekend!

The next couple of days are going to top off at 30F, but yeah the relief is in sight and I'll be going to Florida, mainly Kew West, on the 21st so I'll be fine.

Enjoy your weekend also.

SoberLeigh 03-10-2017 10:17 AM

Thanks, GC.

Gonnachange 03-10-2017 11:31 AM

SL, I finished the book around noon and have to say that I was less thrilled with the last 1/4 or so of it as the author went off on tangents that have tenuous connections to what came before and deviate from the historical narrative.

That written, I'm glad I read it and it's a good book for discussion tonight.

SoberLeigh 03-10-2017 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Gonnachange (Post 6362027)
SL, I finished the book around noon and have to say that I was less thrilled with the last 1/4 or so of it as the author went off on tangents that have tenuous connections to what came before and deviate from the historical narrative.

That written, I'm glad I read it and it's a good book for discussion tonight.

I have read similarly 'disappointing' books where I have enjoyed the characters, plot development, etc. only to be left hanging by an unenthusiastic or disjointed conclusion.

Hope that your discussion goes well.