SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of August 2016 Support Thread Part 2 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/396041-class-august-2016-support-thread-part-2-a.html)

Caramel 08-17-2016 12:57 PM

Count me in to this class, on Day 9.
I've been in other classes over the past 15 months or so, I've learned from the experience, and appreciated the contact with honest, kind and supportive people.
Some of them have joined this class too - you know who you are :) it's good to see you again.
Learning about myself is an ongoing project and I'm looking forward to some real progress.

cwood3 08-17-2016 01:09 PM

Day 5.......first AA meeting at 6pm tonight.

kgirl41 08-17-2016 01:15 PM

Good luck cwood :)

Antman 08-17-2016 01:55 PM

So I just joined this forum, how does this work? I just post in here and I'm part of the class for people who have quit drinking this month? This is day 2. I have quit lots of times before, I actually had about a month sober before Monday when I had a pretty serious relapse. It can't happen again or I will most likely be divorced/in jail/dead. I'm optimistic though because I am actually scared this time and I have never had that, so I am hoping to use it as motivation.

Neverthought 08-17-2016 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Antman (Post 6095480)
So I just joined this forum, how does this work? I just post in here and I'm part of the class for people who have quit drinking this month? This is day 2. I have quit lots of times before, I actually had about a month sober before Monday when I had a pretty serious relapse. It can't happen again or I will most likely be divorced/in jail/dead. I'm optimistic though because I am actually scared this time and I have never had that, so I am hoping to use it as motivation.

Welcome and you're already part of the class. You're here for same reasons all of us are here, with a little give and take of course. There's a lot of success in this class and you can join me and a few others on day (2). However, I've always expressed on SR, whether you're 100 days sober or 1 day sober, we're all heading in the same direction.

Rogue 08-17-2016 03:01 PM

Hey everyone! Just checking in. I really enjoy reading everyone's post on here. Day 4 for me. I started a journal today in hopes of helping with my cravings and things. I thought if I started writing again it might be a good way to push through this time. I was wondering if anyone knows of any good books to read to help? I hope everyone is having a wonderful day.

ThatWasTheOldMe 08-17-2016 03:34 PM

I'm still clean. 10 days today.
I have elevated (very high) liver enzymes, so one drink is like putting a match to my liver. No drinks for me.

MrPL 08-17-2016 04:22 PM

Well done everyone for another clean day.

It's end of day 8 for here, feeling good and ticked every box in the recovery plan, going to bed looking forward to day 9.

P

Dee74 08-17-2016 04:26 PM

Welcome & welcome back antman, finallygotout neverthought alyssa caramel and anyone I missed :)

welcome back meshelly :)
Not picking on you but I reckon losing $800 is pretty major.

I'm glad you're back.

D

MidnightRider 08-17-2016 04:26 PM

Hey all and good evening to you (or early morning some places).

I'm glad to see some new 'faces' .. Welcome Antman, TWTOM, Caramel.. And others!

Dee74 08-17-2016 04:28 PM

for those who missed them, some very helpful links here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

Neverthought 08-17-2016 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 6095737)
Welcome & welcome back antman, finallygotout neverthought alyssa caramel and anyone I missed :)

welcome back meshelly :)
Not picking on you but I reckon losing $800 is pretty major.

I'm glad you're back.

D

Thanks Dee, nice to hear from you again. How have you been? Keep up nice work!

So, obviously I'm back and maybe I'll get it straight one of these days.

:buttkick: That's what I need.

Have a nice morning, evening and night all! Day 2 coming to a close.

Dee74 08-17-2016 04:48 PM

Check out the links Neverthought - the key to this is obviously don;t drink no matter what, but also to make some changes and find the support behind that: look at what needs changing in your life, keep adding different things, different approaches, until you get the right mix :)

D

Neverthought 08-17-2016 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 6095763)

Check out the links Neverthought - the key to this is obviously don;t drink no matter what, but also to make some changes and find the support behind that: look at what needs changing in your life, keep adding different things, different approaches, until you get the right mix :)

D

I couldn't ask for any better advice....humbled by it.

Will do man, will do!

Thank you!.

Elle126 08-17-2016 05:10 PM

Hi guys just checking in at the end of another wonderful sober day. Welcome to all the newcomers so pleased to see you guys doing so well. Been reading all your messages, you're all truly inspirational! Thank you for helping me stay sober today. Elle:c011:

Vona71 08-17-2016 05:37 PM

Well, here I am. :)

Elle126 08-17-2016 05:40 PM

Hey Vona welcome to the August group. Most in here began their sobriety journey in August so you'll find plenty of people going through similar stuff. Great place for you to make friends and find support.

alyssa11 08-17-2016 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by kgirl41 (Post 6094811)
Welcome MrPL, Stale, Quincy, cwood, 4givn, and alyssa :) So happy to have you here.

hi alyssa - I'm very sorry about your health issues. That's a pretty good motivator to stop drinking though. Are you feeling committed to not drinking? Where is your head in all of this? There is a silver lining here...I don't know how extensive the damage is but the liver can rebuild itself....as long as you choose not to drink. But being an alcoholic myself, I know that even health issues doesn't always shut our AV up. Remember that you are worth being happy and healthy. And you have a support system here, please check in and let us know how you are. Take care.

Thanks so much for this thoughtful response! My mindset is totally committed, but I'm only on day 8 and that urge is constantly in the back of my mind. I've been searching for an AA meeting to attend soon, I think it's something I need to do, although the thought of it makes me incredibly anxious. I miss the feeling of drinking a lot still at this stage, but I know I have to be more committed to my health and the people closest to me. It's the start of a battle, but I'm ready to fight haha. This forum has been helping me a lot so far, I really appreciate your thoughtfulness :)

alyssa11 08-17-2016 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Trees39 (Post 6095160)
Day 8.

Originally Posted by MrPL (Post 6095727)
Well done everyone for another clean day.

It's end of day 8 for here, feeling good and ticked every box in the recovery plan, going to bed looking forward to day 9.

P

fellow day 8s!! **high five**

Elle126 08-17-2016 05:59 PM

Welcome alyssa. It will get better, one step and one day at a time you can do this. Elle:c011:

Quincy 08-17-2016 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Antman (Post 6095480)

Welcome Antman. I'm at day 3 and new to SR thankfully. I don't know if you feel the same based on you talking about having quit several times before and out of know where have a serious drinking event and doing things that you totally regret and then wonder how could I have let this happen.

Based on what I have read and heard about before in AA meetings this is fairly common. So, I guess the moral to the story is there is alot of things I or most drinkers need to do as part of recovery to avoid the cycle of being sober and drinking again.

I spent most of the day on Tuesday going through this site and found it very comforting and full of good tips from all sorts of people at different stages in their recovery. I'm hoping this time around I take it more seriously over the long term, not until I and the people around me feel better and then decide I can drink differently this time and fall into the same old routine.

Good Luck

saltybeagle30 08-17-2016 07:42 PM

This site is my safe haven! Anytime I feel cravings, I come here and see such positivity and support. I am now 12 days sober, and tomorrow I have my first marriage therapy session to begin rebuilding what I almost destroyed. I hope things continue to get better :c016:

MidnightRider 08-17-2016 08:17 PM

Day 24 in the books.
Thanks to SR and this group.

emme99 08-17-2016 08:57 PM

Hi everyone~
Welcome to everyone new :)

Enjoy your trip sunshine, and yes keep us updated :)

I am glad you are here Caramel :)

Congrats on 24 days MidnightRider, that is awesome :)

Congrats to everyone else on their sober time as well. It is inspiring to see so many doing well.

Day 3
Today was another busy day, at work and outside of work. I don't know how people find the time to get everything done. Each day I am sober though I feel better and better, physically & mentally. I have found lately that drinking causes physical pain, my joints, back, etc. hurt. I am pretty sure it's not in my head :). I am glad to not be drinking any more.

Thanks everyone for posting and keeping me motivated.
Have a great Thursday~

bexxed 08-17-2016 09:28 PM

Hi everyone. Checking in.

I had great intentions today but didn't follow through. I was tired and a little overwhelmed from the past couple days I guess, and despite planning to touch up the dining room, go to the dump, etc, what I managed to do was journal and go for a long walk, and do a few work things. Oh, and made dinner, and cleaned a bit in the house but nothing much.

I start to think negative thoughts like "loser. You decide not to drink and you can't even do a simple thing like go to the dump when you decide you want to." and then I remember I'm keeping it simple. Right?

If I was drinking I would have not gone because I'd be drinking. Today I didn't go because I was tired from two split shifts and I decided to stay home and do things that felt good.

There was this wave of exhaustion every time I thought about what I ought to be doing. Of course what I ought to be doing are things I decided to do on my own.

I guess I'm bringing it up because I know it's an addict move to put things off and ignore things, and I'm trying to figure out if I was doing that, or if I was taking care of myself. It's so weird sorting out what's the AV and what isn't. The AV enables as well.

Anyway, hi, welcome new people, I read through everyones's posts. Allyssa, <3 <3 thanks for reminding me that our health is really important (I'm just too scared to get those kinds of tests) k-girl, glad you're here....

I can't check the posts after I start writing on the app, I think next time I will do it in the notes section of my phone so I can copy and paste and I don't have to try to keep a mental picture of all the names and details. I function better on the computer but I **** that thing and am not opening it up again til tomorrow.

Night all.

In gratitude

B

bexxed 08-17-2016 09:31 PM

Also I did not mean to accidentally use a dirty word. I meant to say that I s h u t that thing, meaning I shut my laptop. That was a typo on my phone. Sorry!!!!

Dee74 08-17-2016 09:56 PM

Welcome Vona :)

D

venuscat 08-17-2016 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Vona71 (Post 6095839)
Well, here I am. :)

So glad to see you love!! :) :) :hug:

And love to everyone in this class. :grouphug:

Suze ♥

lovehoops 08-18-2016 03:38 AM

Morning everyone,

Welcome to antman, meshelly, finallygotout, caramel, Vona.....and I know I forgot someone...sorry..

Glad you are here!!! Keep posting. This site is wonderful and the augustables are a great bunch.

Glad to hear everyone is staying sober and fighting off that devious AV!

I have had a very busy week so I have not been posting much but still trying to check in when I can. Busy is good for me bc isolation is my biggest trigger...I can eve the difference already this week. I feel so much better!!

I wish you all a great Thursday..we can do this!!!!!

alyssa11 08-18-2016 04:16 AM

Proud of you bexxed! There's absolutely nothing wrong with coming home after a long work day and say... bingeing Netflix haha. My routine was always come home from a long work day and drink, so it's a huge step up even if it means you have to put off a task until the next day (or two). If you kept it sober, you have enough great things you've accomplished that day :)