SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of July 2016 Support Thread Part 1 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/393767-class-july-2016-support-thread-part-1-a.html)

HeadingtoChange 07-08-2016 05:37 AM

Back on day 3 after massive binge, good to be back. Another humiliating night out, ending in chaos.

Galaga11 07-08-2016 06:23 AM

Good morning all.

Checking in. I am off today, going to go out with the family, then relax later on. back to work tomorrow so want to enjoy my time off today.

Hope you all have a great day!

Eliasson 07-08-2016 06:33 AM

I apologize for posting drunkenly last night. I know I am spiraling out of control and I intend to do everything I possibly can to get and stay sober.
Thank you for continuing to support me, it helps more than you could know.
Headed to a meeting today.

janeeb 07-08-2016 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Eliasson (Post 6035205)
I apologize for posting drunkenly last night. I know I am spiraling out of control and I intend to do everything I possibly can to get and stay sober. Thank you for continuing to support me, it helps more than you could know. Headed to a meeting today.

You are still here so well done !!!! What is done is done (for me too) we just have to keep posting and keep helping each other ! Message me anytime if you need someone I will help anyone anytime they need it and appreciate others helping me too xxx

Chickenlady06 07-08-2016 07:09 AM

Good work to everyone posting here today. No matter what happened days ago or even hours ago, you're here and recognizing the problem. I grew up with addicts of various types, and there is a common theme between all of them, was self-loathing and depression. I've seen it a lot reading through here. You aren't a lost cause, you aren't damaged, the fact that you are here means you want something more for yourself. Start acting like it, treat yourself better, this must be a journey for yourself. None of the addicts in my life ever said they wanted it for themselves, they thought it was something they were made to do by outside factors. I want this for myself, this is selfish, all about me healing going on right here. My hubs, kids and job will just reap the benefits of the love I'm finding for myself.

Optimist4ever57 07-08-2016 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by HeadingtoChange (Post 6035100)
Back on day 3 after massive binge, good to be back. Another humiliating night out, ending in chaos.

You're back, and that's what counts! How are you going to do things differently? I'm not just asking so you'll think about it, I'm looking for ideas as well.
Do you have a particular trigger?

Optimist4ever57 07-08-2016 08:30 AM

Checking in because my anxiety is mounting. My house is a mess (due to grandchildren) and my binge, and that makes me even more anxious.

Thinking a hot shower and a quick clean up...that's as far as I got..I will not drink today.

CaseyW 07-08-2016 08:32 AM

Quick check-in from the class of March 2016. Wishing everyone a safe and sober start to your weekend! Stick close to here--post once a minute if that's what it takes to keep you from picking up the first drink. Remember as long as you steer clear of the first drink, you don't have to worry about the second or third or sixth one that would usually follow. You can do this. WE can do this!

Healthygoals 07-08-2016 08:36 AM

I'm gladim getting off the crazy train!

So here I am preparing my dining room table for dinner for dear friends (that will be drinking) and I open the closet to get out dishes and I found an empty wine bottle I had stashed in there goodness knows when. It was a bucket of ice water in the face. And definitely a sign that I need to stay sober:scared:

Healthygoals 07-08-2016 08:38 AM

I apologize for posting drunkenly last night. I know I am spiraling out of control and I intend to do everything I possibly can to get and stay sober.
Thank you for continuing to support me, it helps more than you could know.
Headed to a meeting today.

No apology necessary. I'm sure we've all been where you are now. What's important is that you're here today!

tokidoki 07-08-2016 08:53 AM

Hi July '16 ers!

I just want to echo what Casey said above. I'm from the July '15 class and just got a year sober. I'd tried for several months before that to get sobriety to 'stick' but couldn't make it happen. Joining a class (and posting every day about any old thing) was what I needed to add to my plan.

So best wishes to you all. You can do this!

Sunflowerlife 07-08-2016 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by HeadingtoChange (Post 6035100)

Sorry it was a bad night. the shame that can come along drinking is no fun. As much as I hate it, it does help to have something to constantly remind me of why I need to stop. Playing the tape through is such an effective tool

Glad you are back:)

Sunflowerlife 07-08-2016 09:44 AM

I apologize for posting drunkenly last night. I know I am spiraling out of control and I intend to do everything I possibly can to get and stay sober. Thank you for continuing to support me, it helps more than you could know. Headed to a meeting today.

Keep on keeping on! Good for you Eliasson. The will is the most important part in this and it sounds like you really want to stop drinking. Good luck to you and I hope you have a great meeting.

HeadingtoChange 07-08-2016 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Optimist4ever57 (Post 6035363)
You're back, and that's what counts! How are you going to do things differently? I'm not just asking so you'll think about it, I'm looking for ideas as well.
Do you have a particular trigger?

There are multiple things at play and i am going to a CAT counsellor. The drinking etc are symptoms of the issues i choose not to notice which leads me to thinking f*** it and go out.

I spent many years abstinent but still walking round with those issues just not drinking etc.

Unfortunately the expression 'nothing changes if nothing changes' is true. But at least there is hope.

Sunflowerlife 07-08-2016 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Chickenlady06 (Post 6035253)
Good work to everyone posting here today. No matter what happened days ago or even hours ago, you're here and recognizing the problem. I grew up with addicts of various types, and there is a common theme between all of them, was self-loathing and depression. I've seen it a lot reading through here. You aren't a lost cause, you aren't damaged, the fact that you are here means you want something more for yourself. Start acting like it, treat yourself better, this must be a journey for yourself. None of the addicts in my life ever said they wanted it for themselves, they thought it was something they were made to do by outside factors. I want this for myself, this is selfish, all about me healing going on right here. My hubs, kids and job will just reap the benefits of the love I'm finding for myself.

I love this CL-you are right about that, self loathing is such a recurring theme.
And until we want it for ourselves it will never work. I was told I needed to stop drinking and drugging 12 years ago. I don't even consider it my first attempt at sobriety because it wasn't for ME and it wasn't my idea or on my heart and soul. Now it is and I am so grateful for that difference.

Do you do any meditation? I think I will find one(or a hypnosis MP3) on self love. I think we could all use a little more self love...

Sunflowerlife 07-08-2016 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by CaseyW (Post 6035365)
Quick check-in from the class of March 2016. Wishing everyone a safe and sober start to your weekend! Stick close to here--post once a minute if that's what it takes to keep you from picking up the first drink. Remember as long as you steer clear of the first drink, you don't have to worry about the second or third or sixth one that would usually follow. You can do this. WE can do this!

Thank you Casey! I will keep that in mind- it's all about that first drink!

Betha 07-08-2016 10:45 AM

Not going to lie, it's been hard

Today is day 10 and the weekend is already here. I didn't make it past 10 days last time I tried (last year), and don't know when I ever went that long before that. I'm tired of this being a struggle.

Thanos 07-08-2016 10:51 AM

Hello everyone, I am jumping on board. I am on day three after a 4.5 week tornado of idiocy. Prior to my terrible June I had five months of sobriety. I know we can all put this behind us for good.

Optimist4ever57 07-08-2016 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Chickenlady06 (Post 6023221)
Since starting again and reading the boards, I've realized that I have got to make a firm plan and stick to it. I've got my trusty passion planner and I'm scheduling every moment that I'm not at work or sleeping. So I have a checklist. Some of the things in store for me this weekend: finish decluttering, wash the dog, clean my car, tweeze my brows...basically all the crap I never get around to doing on the weekends because I typically start drinking pretty early in the day. It sounds so boring when I type it out like that, but when I was planning, it all sounded very exciting, I swear.
🌻

I think it still sounds exciting, Chickenlady!

Optimist4ever57 07-08-2016 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Healthygoals (Post 6035367)
So here I am preparing my dining room table for dinner for dear friends (that will be drinking) and I open the closet to get out dishes and I found an empty wine bottle I had stashed in there goodness knows when. It was a bucket of ice water in the face. And definitely a sign that I need to stay sober:scared:

Yeah, that's a real eye opener. I found an empty vodka bottle in my laundry room "take to Goodwill" basket...ugh...humiliating.