SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of April 2015 Part 9 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/377885-class-april-2015-part-9-a.html)

Incontrol15 01-20-2016 11:21 AM

Yup. That's right! Today is 9months sober.
275 days to be exact. So much has happened in 9 months, it's unbelievable. Not that I would want to relive that again. Which is why I am sober today.

OMD 01-20-2016 01:04 PM

Appreciate the post SG. Spot on. It's funny, I would never have dreamed how much better I could feel and how much every aspect of my life would improve. I feel stronger and more positive in every respect. I even deal with bad stuff better.

:)

OMD

stargazer016 01-22-2016 08:50 AM

Expecting 12-24 inches of snow tomorrow. Big storms always meant trips to the liquor store and grocery store, in that order. I was scrolling through FB this morning looking at all the pictures of fridges stuffed with beer and other booze. Glad that is no longer my pre storm prep.

Dee74 01-22-2016 01:57 PM

congratulations IC :)

d

stargazer016 01-23-2016 04:36 AM

Got over a foot of snow as of 5:00am. Looks like corporate might actually close the store today. I didn't really feel like driving 15 miles in a blizzard so some moron can buy a gallon of milk, after having a three day warning to stock up.

Incontrol15 01-23-2016 07:09 AM

Lol. Sounds fun SG. I love those storms.

OMD 01-23-2016 10:45 AM

Hi all,
Hope you're all having a great weekend, and that those of you affected by the snow storms are doing ok. Inc I hope you're basking in the glow of your 9 month achievement :)

Just found out one of my old drinking buddies has moved out of his house, leaving his wife and kids. He didn't want to but she was fed up of the hidden bottles, the drunkeness, lies, nonsense, shouting in front of kids etc and finally said it was him or her going. He was always profusely apologetic the next day and was never going to drink again etc. A real, close and current reminder for me of what an insidious, destructive drug we have escaped. There but for the grace of God go I.

Never, ever, let your guard down.

Best wishes
OMD

stargazer016 01-23-2016 05:19 PM

Scary stuff indeed, OMD. That could likely have been any of us if we had continued on the paths that we were following.

Incontrol15 01-23-2016 08:44 PM

That sucks OMD.

amp123 01-24-2016 05:54 AM

Hey guys, I'm at the airport in Amsterdam. A great weekend despite my brother in law dropping a load of magic mushrooms and freaking out over dinner and my brother overdoing the red wine and crying on my shoulder that he misses the old me (when we used to get wasted together). It's an amazing city and it made my mum so happy to get all of us together.

I am so thankful to be travelling home with some beautiful memories... And no hangover!

OMD 01-24-2016 01:02 PM

Sounds like a great weekend Amp! Lol at your brother on the mushrooms!

Have a great week everyone.

OMD

stargazer016 01-24-2016 11:42 PM

Glad you had a great time Amp! Dropping shrooms at a family get together is probably a recipe for disaster. Definitely the last place I would have wanted to be back in those days, lol.

amp123 01-25-2016 12:15 AM

Yeah, the whole shroom thing always looked like ending up like a train wreck! Unfortunately we weren't disappointed on that score!!

All the same, I really enjoyed myself and have some amazing memories to take away!

Cauliflower 01-26-2016 11:15 AM

Hi everyone, and welcome to ILoveDogs! I love dogs too, btw.

My 9 month came and went on the 23rd! I am eternally grateful for this group. I am 46, married with adult children and one youngster still at home. We live in Canada in the middle of nowhere in lake country. My neighbors are mostly cottage owners or snowbirds, so we are all by ourselves now, in the crisp cold quiet, and I love it!

SG summed up our bond here very well. We've all had common struggles with our recovery, and it really does help to have folks out there to vent with, because I know you all get it.

The other day my husband and I were talking and he asked if I missed drinking. Of course my answer was no, and I admitted to him that yes, I was in fact, drinking way too much and was on the slippery slope. Funny I never really admitted to him how much I really was drinking. Anyways, he must have known, and it was a relief to him that I admitted, and he knows that I will never drink again. He said he was proud of me. I am so happy to be free of the alcohol. There are so many good people out there who are still struggling everyday with this, who never find the strength to just quit, and it's kind of sad.

I had my niece over for the weekend, which was such a good visit. Her mom, my sister, is an alcoholic, and it sad to see the effects of her drinking on my niece. It was an eye opener, because my niece is suffering the same way I was struggling as a young adult dealing with an alcoholic mother. I was glad she was open and honest with me, and I was able to be there for her. It's hard. My niece is getting married soon, and she is worried about her mother ruining her day if she over does it. I told her I would keep my sister in check, and swoop her outta there if she gets belligerent and sloppy drunk as she is one of those people who turn mean and ugly after a few drinks.

I am glad we didn't get that dumping of snow that my southern neighbors got! We are still in the middle of a cold snap, but it doesn't stop the ice fishermen from setting up shop on the lake. My view is now of little shacks on the lake.

OK, just a quick check in.....back to work I go. :You_Rock_

OMD 01-27-2016 12:41 AM

Thanks for the post CF. It's so nice to see you're doing well.

Best wishes
OMD

Incontrol15 01-27-2016 12:13 PM

Still amazed that I have nooo desire to drink.

Just wanted to share that. Nobody else would understand.

Hi CF!! XOXO

amp123 01-27-2016 01:49 PM

That really is the most amazing feeling, Inc! Loving it too!

stargazer016 01-28-2016 04:17 PM

Hi Cauli! Glad you are well in the frozen North. 26 inches of snow really brings life to a halt in my neck of the woods. After hours of cleaning cars and driveways, I was pretty p.o. ed and frustrated. A thought of having a mid morning rum and coke briefly crossed my mind. I sat back in my idling car to warm up and screamed some profanities (no one around in the blizzard) and quickly calmed back down and realized the foolishness of my urge. It was the first time in months that I had even given the slightest thought about drinking. I guess that was just a HALT moment, being angry, lonely and tired. Other than this, I too have not considered having a drink in a number of months.

It is encouraging that we are learning to live life without alcohol, and to recognize that life as a normal life. Who would have thought that possible a year ago?

amp123 01-29-2016 12:34 AM

Looking at it from this end, it sounds easy. 6 or 7 months hard slog and then you're pretty much free of the curse.

2 things.
First: Hard slog doesn't even come close to the psychological mine field that ditching the drink has meant. Just look at how many of us are left here now and how many started. Most of those who started out like us were seriously committed too. We must never under estimate how hard it was to get here.

Second: We are not free of the curse but we are in remission. We may never relapse but we must always be aware

Anyway. Just a thought for the day...
Take care guys!!!

Incontrol15 01-29-2016 10:42 AM

True that. Addiction has a way of lurking in the background unnoticed, waiting for an opportunity to make a move. Kinda like a predator pacing in the outer edges of a field, waiting for the perfect time to strike for the kill.

Saw the movie ride along 2 last night. Went to an old theater. Interesting place. The movie was funny. As good as the first.

Been dying to see Revenant but can't get my GF to bite. I'll be seeing that with my son next weekend. He's always up for a movie.

Applying to some more jobs today in hopes of upgrading. Feeling a lot better about myself and more confident.

Have a great day!