SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of January 2015 Part 5 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/360452-class-january-2015-part-5-a.html)

JamesSquire 03-18-2015 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by saoutchik (Post 5262984)
I don't know how the others feel but the last few people we lost really upset me for two reasons
1. They were on the thread long enough for me to regard them as friends
2. Selfishly I need other people to succeed for my own sake

Hi All

I'm really peeved with myself. I dropped the ball.

Went away for the weekend with the boys for a golf game and and got into my old habits. I think it was the thought that if my wife can't trust me 'what the hell'.

I had to PM Jojo first before I posted this.

So sorry, Saoutchik, will miss our cricket chats. Re: jellyfish stings ... Vinegar and hot water as hot as you can stand it without scalding your skin

BUT ... I'm going to try again not sure to get into March 2015 or start after Easter holidays in April.

The funny part is AV had no part in it at all, I was so angry inside me all week that I just took to it.

Dee is right ... There is no solution by going back, there never was. I realise now I was probably doing it for my wife, now I'm going to do it for myself.

Happy B'day Jojo and Blond.

Like Tang, the measure is being able to pick yourself up. I'll check in every so often Januarians because I'll miss you guys.

Cheers, James

Dee74 03-18-2015 04:53 AM

I hope you reconsider about postponing starting again James.

You know and I know sober is better - why put it off? :dunno:

D

waywardson8260 03-18-2015 04:57 AM

Good morning. Not a lot new for me. I did catch some sort of a bug a few days ago but it wasn't too bad. It feels like it is gone this morning.

I'm still sober and my head feels very clear this morning. It feels good!! Absolutely no more drinking and hangovers for me. I feel too good this morning to blow it. It is another day back to work for me. Have a good and sober day everyone.

Welcome leb.

Tang 03-18-2015 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by saoutchik (Post 5262984)
Evening everyone,

I don't know how the others feel but the last few people we lost really upset me for two reasons
1. They were on the thread long enough for me to regard them as friends
2. Selfishly I need other people to succeed for my own sake

Statistically I believe most people will fail on their first try. BUT a number will succeed! Don't focus on self fulfilling prophecies. If your goal is to follow others who falter, then you will more than likely slip as well. Focus on the people who are winning :) In my case I still think I'm above this recovery stuff. That somehow I don't need it. That somehow I can have a drink with my coworkers. That somehow I can go back to being a member of a wine club. That somehow I can go to Napa Valley on vacation. That somehow I can drink a pint in Dublin. I don't want to be different than other people when it comes to alcohol. Until I can internalize that I will never be normal, I will falter again in the future.

Soberwolf 03-18-2015 05:49 AM

Have a nice afternoon guys

saoutchik 03-18-2015 12:34 PM

Evening everyone,

Real sorry to read that James but glad that your climbing back on the wagon.
I can tell from your posts that you're an intelligent guy and I have no doubts tha in the long run you will beat this crap.

I'll miss the cricket discussions too

Hi Tang, I'mean 54 and in my case I don't think I have many more day 1''s in me. I live on my own so I'be not got anyone to stay sober for except myself

Hi Lovehoops, glad you're OK

JamesSquire 03-18-2015 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 5266825)
I hope you reconsider about postponing starting again James.

You know and I know sober is better - why put it off? :dunno:

D

Thanks Dee

Woke up this morning, feeling like its Day 1 so I'll make it Day 1.

Saoutchik ... I'm 55, there's plenty of days left in us. Looking after your mind and body and challenging yourself everyday is paramount at our age. I took up martial arts at the age of 50, I feel it has all those qualities. All though my body strains when I wake up some mornings, I feel good for it. I try and use it to keep me focused when I'm trying not to drink.

Have a good day everyone.

Soberwolf 03-18-2015 02:53 PM

Congrats on making a day 1 James

OnMyWay7 03-18-2015 04:17 PM

Great job on making it Day 1 James. I'm sure it crossed your mind that what the F I already drank why not wait a week but everyday gets harder.

I know for me my head keeps planning on grabbing some of the perecets that are laying around the house when I get home from Miami. I think my AV is saying "well if you won't drink how about one of these?" Using the excuse that I can't get any more pills so even if I finished them all I couldn't get anymore and at least I'm not drinking... Welcome to my AV she's a real beauty.
Anyway - today spent the day at "Butterlfly World" in Fl. It was really great and I definitely had a few "zen" moments while having the butterfly all around me. It was a long day and we just got back to the hotel (6:30). Tomorrow we go home :cries3: and there's a chance of snow on Friday :cries3: :cries3: so it was nice to have a successful day.
Sisterbobby. Bummer about not getting any clarity while camping. I hope clarity does come your way – I know I would pay just about anything if someone would make the decision for me and take care of the fall out. The problem is I know what I want to decision to be I just am having an issue making it. Probably because I have a pretty good idea of the impact it would have on the kids.
I’ll check in later – think I’ll close my eyes here for a few.

Serenity1212 03-18-2015 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by JamesSquire (Post 5266821)

Hi All

I'm really peeved with myself. I dropped the ball.

Went away for the weekend with the boys for a golf game and and got into my old habits. I think it was the thought that if my wife can't trust me 'what the hell'.

I had to PM Jojo first before I posted this.

So sorry, Saoutchik, will miss our cricket chats. Re: jellyfish stings ... Vinegar and hot water as hot as you can stand it without scalding your skin

BUT ... I'm going to try again not sure to get into March 2015 or start after Easter holidays in April.

The funny part is AV had no part in it at all, I was so angry inside me all week that I just took to it.

Dee is right ... There is no solution by going back, there never was. I realise now I was probably doing it for my wife, now I'm going to do it for myself.

Happy B'day Jojo and Blond.

Like Tang, the measure is being able to pick yourself up. I'll check in every so often Januarians because I'll miss you guys.

Cheers, James

Good luck, remember you can od , well at least I can, but that may not come even close to how you drink. Anyway Good luck.

blondsober 03-18-2015 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Tang (Post 5266864)
Statistically I believe most people will fail on their first try. BUT a number will succeed! Don't focus on self fulfilling prophecies. If your goal is to follow others who falter, then you will more than likely slip as well. Focus on the people who are winning :) In my case I still think I'm above this recovery stuff. That somehow I don't need it. That somehow I can have a drink with my coworkers. That somehow I can go back to being a member of a wine club. That somehow I can go to Napa Valley on vacation. That somehow I can drink a pint in Dublin. I don't want to be different than other people when it comes to alcohol. Until I can internalize that I will never be normal, I will falter again in the future.

Please keep posting Tang - your last couple of sentences made me cry.
And I'm at work!!

saoutchik 03-18-2015 05:21 PM

James,

I should have said - that was a brave post, can't have been easy.

Glad your still going to check in.

Aussie Rules!

lovehoops 03-19-2015 03:00 AM

good morning all,

Hope everyone is well.
James...glad to hear from you and glad you are ok. I certainly can understand the "what the hell?" feeling. My husband is always looking over my shoulder. It's tough..stay close and best of luck to you.

Tang....I feel just as you do. I am not drinking and trying my best to live a sober life but damn it...I want to drink like my friends do and I'm mad I cant. That's being brutally honest. I KNOW that drinking destroys my life and those around me BUt I still miss it. When I had 6 1/2 years under my belt, I was happy and not consumed with drinking but I missed it....no doubt about it! Like you said, I dont want to be different either.

TeeBee..travel safely home. Snow tomorrow!!!

Gotta get kids up..have a sober thursday evryone xo

Sisterbobby 03-19-2015 05:12 AM

off the work again, just thought i would check in. Doing great. Day 64 for me I think.
James please stick around.
Teebee-funniest thing that happened while camping, it would have to involve Moe, maybe watching him run after seagulls, he had no change in h#*^ but sure tried. Also, I believe he lived with cats, so he hisses, not so much now that he is around my other dogs, but thats pretty funny watching him hiss,
welcome all new comers and everyone have a great soberly thursday, off the work.
later

OnMyWay7 03-19-2015 05:22 AM

I wonder if the other dogs judge him for hissing (hehe).

waywardson8260 03-19-2015 05:53 AM

Good morning everyone. Wow, quitting is tough isn't it. Of course we all know that. I've quit several times before myself but these attempts were half hearted on my part .

I agree with you saoutchik, I can't have many more day 1's myself either. I'm 54 myself. I've seen a coworker die of a heart attach in his early fourties. Dropped dead at work suddenly right in front of everyone. It was well known he downed a 12 pack every night. Where I work two people died recently, one in the late fifties and one in the early sixties, although I'm not sure exactly what the cause was.

Our lives and our health are on the line- alcohol is poison. James and Tang please make this day one count!!

OK I guess I'll get off my soapbox now. I have today off and am getting ready to go for my walk. My wife's recovery from back surgery seems to be on track, but it well be a long process. Have a good day everyone!

Jojo1965 03-19-2015 08:58 AM

Hey guys!

Just checking in. Have an eye appt in 20 mins...

But I'm here and sober and lots to say but no time. lol

James, hop back on the sober bus! I'll even slow it down for you. Haha! ;)

Okay later peeps!

Jojo

OnMyWay7 03-19-2015 01:13 PM

Hello all

I'm sitting in Miami airport waiting to board to go back to Philly.

I echo the "I don't have many more, if any, Day 1S left" Seems like most of us are in our 50s - I want to savor and live the rest of my life sober and present and hopefully happy.

I have GOT to start working out!! This vacation I enjoyed ice cream WAY too much. I am totally not getting on the scale for a few days.

JamesSquire 03-19-2015 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by saoutchik (Post 5268289)
James,

I should have said - that was a brave post, can't have been easy.

Glad your still going to check in.

Aussie Rules!

Took me a while as I felt I let everyone here down. I joined the March 2015 (at page 18) but honestly I just can't get into it. Great people there but i don't have the feeling I belong. I understand how Tang feels as we were foundation members of January and this is where we started. Though I have stopped again, I'm thinking of rejoining as an April foundation member. I'm soooooo confused!

Saoutchik ... 5 rugby league players from one team (Titans) have been charged with supplying heroine. Young men with too much money.

saoutchik 03-19-2015 02:15 PM

Evening everyone,

Since your relapse was so brief James I don't see why you can't stick with us (maybe as well as March)

Just picking up stuff from other threads it seems like it's best not to keep dwelling on the "I can never have another drink for ever and ever" but to just sticking to the one day at a time thoughts

Oh but it's hard sometimes