SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of August 2014 Part 15 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/355324-class-august-2014-part-15-a.html)

sthlondonab 01-05-2015 02:37 PM

Pink, what an amazing super marvellous plan!! No doubt you will achieve all of them and enjoy every minute! Great you signed up for the xtreme course (I think!)

Been good to read all the updates today.

I had a decent enough day, my boss was narky all day (no doubt he's been drinking all xmas, and all tired) so I snuck off early and did an AA and been snoozing on my sofa. Bushed, and it's bedtime ASAP!

I think Glandon asked for 18 pounds in stones. It's 1 stone, 4lbs which is a magnificent achievement on an amount of weight to lose. Well done scooter!!

I have set a target of 1 stone, 2lbs or 16 pounds in US money! It's starting to fall off already with the running.

Let's all keep going with our plans and new life ambitions Team A!

Safe and sober Monday to all :-)

ClearEyes24 01-05-2015 03:24 PM

Pink- awesome post and 2015 aspirations! So many good things in there.

thedryoutdrsmn 01-05-2015 03:27 PM

well Xmas was cool with Mom here for 3 wks, no one was drinking, so it went well, no real missing it.

New year's eve was a bit weird, my common law owns a bar with her Mom. She isn't much of a partier, kind of a hand me down thing that she's not a big fan of, but it's a job for now. She needed to go down to the bar, but she's great, we played crib in the office, and I soon forgot about wow that used to be a lot of fun to be down there drinking beer and dancing. Guess what? the old ways were not fun, the real fun is now knowing that my weeks were not being controlled by the drinking dragon, always looking forward to feeding him Thu-Sun, and more if I really wanted to talk myself into it.

So I made it thru, and like I said forgot all about the drinking thing going on right where I was. This was the first New yrs in over 20 yrs I didn't drink, and I'm pretty proud of that. Funny story..we got pulled over in a check stop on the way home, probably the first time I've never had to worry about that either, didn't have to say I had 1 or 2 lying to the guy. Great to go into a check stop confident and proud of your accomplishment, I even felt like telling the guy, but I didn't hahah

Last WE was another first, NFL play-offs. Sat was weird, I wanted to have a few beers for sure. It was harder than the Xmas holidays for some reason, I think it's cause it was the one time of the yr when I used to allow myself to get drunker than usual, and eat pub food all WE. I had done this for a long time! Well, I got thru Sat, and Sunday was way better as it felt normal after the initial shock Sat. I still ate nachos and ribs tho hahah Not giving that up this time of yr hahah

All in all, I made it thru some very real conflicting feelings, and never once came close to buying beer, it is just not going to happen!

We can all do this friends, I know we can!!!

Rah, I know it seems simple to many to say "just moderate drinking" but for peeps like us with problems it just doesn't work. I really loved beer, big time! I spent a decade trying to moderate, it doesn't work when you are a person who really enjoys the feeling that the alcohol high gives you.
I would say it is like putting a box of crackers in front of a starving person, they are not going to be able to just have one, they need the food too much.

Sadly, many of us are like that with alcohol. Trust me, I tried the moderation game until it nearly cost me my relationship, it doesn't work for many people. I think for the ones it does work for, well, I agree with a lot of the experts (the ones I have read), and many of them feel that these people may not be true alcoholics. I'm sure there are a few exceptions to this notion, but I'm convinced that there aren't many, which is why most people preach abstinence.

all the best in 2015, we can do it, the stats are real good when we all make it to a yr to beat this thing..go 2015 Aug!!!

What I do to cope:
-regular exercise and seaking out the peace and soulful tranquility of nature(hiking, snowshoeing, biking, hunting and fishing in mountains)
-walking my dog
-cooking
-taking the time daily to reflect and allow myself to take a lot of pride and happiness for everyday that I have added to my sobriety; I truly think quitting drinking builds strength and character; By doing this, I don't think any of us can truly say we can't do something, nothing tops this test, nothing, it is a test of will and strength, and every one of us should be proud about our accomplishments, it is damn hard!

peace and hugs from the sober hillbilly hahah

doingsomething 01-05-2015 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by calichris (Post 5118548)
I overheard some of them say they did not remember midnight. Oh how good it is for us to be set free from that terrible prison !!!!!!!! I told my wife this and she toasted me with our fresh squeezed orange juice. Great way to start the New Year and solidify that the decision to stay sober for life is the right one in so many endless great ways !!!

Fantastic story chris. I feel a twinge of guilt at taking pleasure from the contrast of other peoples drinking misery, but remembering that feeling of being sick and not remembering what happened is a real motivator toward our sobriety. So I'll give myself a pass. It's not actually schadenfreude.

Don't forget to remember not remembering (just liked the sounds of that one).

Ultramarathoner 01-05-2015 05:32 PM

I'm so proud of the team! Fantastic posts and plans for a sober 2015.

I joked several months in that we'd end up forming an Obstacle Race Team.

Little did I know that we'd end up having one member training for an Obstacle Race, one for a charity 10k, one planning to hike in the White Mountains, one whose second home is the 'Y', one completing a 100mile bike race, one playing competetive tenis vs. semi-pros, etc, ect. Simply amazing.

And the goals and plans for the new year. Simply Inspiring.

Talk about embracing change!

I'm so proud of each of you.

rah555 01-05-2015 05:40 PM

Today is day 65!! 1 slip in 90 days:)

determined99 01-05-2015 06:09 PM

Truly enjoyed reading all of the posts! They made me smile and reflect as well. Pink, I just downloaded a sample of the wind and sand book.

Can barely keep my eyes open. More later team.

Love.

rah555 01-05-2015 06:40 PM

Working on some goals for 2015....

Read a book every month
Cut out my nightly dark chocolate Klondike snack
Limit junk food intake
Become more active

More to come

thedryoutdrsmn 01-05-2015 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by rah555 (Post 5119713)
Working on some goals for 2015....

Read a book every month
Cut out my nightly dark chocolate Klondike snack
Limit junk food intake
Become more active

More to come

awesome Rah!!!

NapsteR1 01-06-2015 02:06 AM

Happy New Year Everyone, hope you all had a good one.

I came across this recently which makes for interesting reading.

30 Days No Alcohol Experiment

Thought it might be of interest, especially as this guy was not at life smashing levels of intake either.

ScooterBoo 01-06-2015 04:14 AM

Good morning,

Pink, I love your list. It made me realize I need to work on mine - - I am thinking of doing a monthly one.

Apple, good to hear from you. Congratulations on the days!

Napster, good to hear from you, too. I will read the article later today.

Doingsomething, I enjoyed "Don't forget to remember not remembering." Ooooh, that was the worst! Panic, embarrassment, dread, fear all rolled into one while checking the phone and computer for black-out messages, lying in bed trying desperately to remember where I had been the night before, etc.

Apple, if I ever take up needlepoint, that will be on my list.

Today I am going to the Y, then to run errands. I need to return an overdue book to the library - I am there every Monday, and was quite surprised to get an email yesterday, when I got home from volunteering at the library, to let me know I have an overdue book. I have lunch with extended family members today.

Have a happy, safe and sober day everyone.

NapsteR1 01-06-2015 05:35 AM

Clear - reading a Classic - I'm reading Barnaby Rudge by Charles Dickens at the moment, you could try that. I also read his American Notes for General Circulation which document his 1842 trip to North America which is hard work but very much a time machine journey!

calichris 01-06-2015 07:59 AM

Just wanted to pop in again and say happy sober 2015 team August !!!!

I had lots of booze flowing left and right all around me the past 3 weeks for the holidays, including free wine tasting in the hotel lobby in Napa/Sonoma where I stayed over New Year's eve with my wife and daughter.
I must say my cravings have been lower than ever but I will not lie the thought crossed my mind to have a drink. I quickly 'played the tape forward' and knew that one drink would be too many and 100 drinks would not be enough, and if I had given in I would be back to day zero and feeling gut wrenchingly misreable in so many countless ways including anxiety, anger, depression, remorse, and all the terrible things that come from drinking. Instead I passed and had iced tea and water and Ginger Ales and instead woke up the next day feeling proud, strong, healthy and guilt-free. I know some days can be much easier than others, but I will choose the latter any and every day !!!!! One day at a time by the Grace of God and with all your support I will celebrate 5 months sober in a few days !!

Always thinking of you all even if I don't keep up with the posts every day! :grouphug: -Chris

Stubbs16 01-06-2015 11:34 AM

Hello team A. I'm over in the December class now. Stopping by to say howdy.

sthlondonab 01-06-2015 01:31 PM

Max and Apple, great to see you.

Penkins, keep posting and let us know how you are doing.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

I am doing evening postings as I have been up and out by 6.15am the last two days. I have spoken to someone I don't know each day so far (NY Goal)

I have also booked a trip to Romania in April. I always wanted to see Draculas castle. 1/4 new countries in the diary.

Tomorrow I am heading off for dental treatment number 2 of 3. In ten days or so I should have nice normal teeth and not neglected ones which age me by 10 years. Exciting times!

Keep going everyone. I am loving the posts. Important to keep up lots of motivation and activity in January. I saw someone who tried some drinks as a reward for staying sober through Xmas on December 27th. It took 5 days to be back to round the clock drinking. Thankfully he's back in AA quickly and working on recovery again.

Hugs to all xx

sthlondonab 01-06-2015 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by ScooterBoo (Post 5120319)

Pink, I love your list. It made me realize I need to work on mine - - I am thinking of doing a monthly one.

Scooter what a great idea. Breaking goals down in smaller pieces and updating regularly keeps things fresh.

I may join you in that, and on the 1st of each month add a small goal for that month as well as working on the 2015 big ones.

I keep meaning to say how much I am loving my local Y and the gym. It's such a great place and everyone is so friendly! I also didn't realise the good work they do for charity etc. later in the year maybe I can get involved in some of that.

I am loving all of these new discoveries and what I have been missing for years.

rah555 01-06-2015 03:46 PM

Day 66! 1 slip out of 101!

rah555 01-06-2015 03:47 PM

Day 66!! 1 slip out of 101 days!!

Ultramarathoner 01-06-2015 04:38 PM

I posted this on the newcomers board today since I thought it was appropriate. I'm sharing it here since we're recognizing the 'gain' part at this point in our journey. Stay vigilant folks!

"One reason people resist change is because they focus on what they have to give up, instead of what they have to gain."

penkins 01-06-2015 05:45 PM

Trying the ScooterBoo way tonight. Instead of another glass of wine I chose a slice of Key Lime pie. And I can honestly say I currently have no desire for wine!

Also have realized I think my trigger is stress from work. I may need alot of pie and shoe shopping. 😄