SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of September 2013 - Part 31 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/335167-class-september-2013-part-31-a.html)

PeanutButterCup 06-26-2014 02:50 AM

And I agree with the others about the progress. Nice! That's awesome!!!

I will add to be careful, too. That's exactly how I progressed, as well, and in my last drunk I nearly killed myself. Yep, it got me here and I'm sober now and that's GOOD. But that's because I lived through it. That wasn't the only possible ending to my drinking, quite honestly.

Hugs to you!

Br00ksie 06-26-2014 05:58 AM

Kaneda - "where you at??"

I went to my first meditation meeting yesterday and loved it so much that I agreed to co-chair! :biglaugh:

So now I'm co-chairing a pothead and AA meeting. Service is essential to my recovery in terms of helping me get in the habit of showing up on a regular basis!

Have a good day everyone!!

:ring

BLKDIESEL 06-26-2014 06:01 AM

~Food For Thought ~ Thoughtful Thursday Edition~
~The Invitation ~ I Want to Know~

~Note~
A very deep and thought provoking poem for today. Njoy the day my people. Dare to be better than you were yesterday.

It doesn't interest me what you do for a living.
I want to know what you ache for, and if you dare to dream of meeting in your heart's longing.

It doesn't interest me how old you are.
I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool for love, for your dreams, for the adventure of being alive.

It doesn't interest me what planets are squaring your moon.
I want to know if you have touched the center of your own sorrow, if you have been opened by life's betrayals or have become shriveled and closed from fear of further pain.

I want to know if you can sit in pain, mine or your own, without moving to hide it or fade from it or fix it.

I want to know if you can be with joy, mine or your own, if you can dance with wildness and let the ecstasy fill you to the tip of your fingers and toes without cautioning us to be careful, be realistic, or to remember the limitations of being human.

It doesn't interest me if the story you're telling me is true.
I want to know if you can disappoint another to be true to yourself; if you can bear the accusation of betrayal and not betray your own soul.

I want to know if you can be faithful and therefore be trustworthy.

I want to know if you can see beauty even when it is not pretty every day, and if you can source your life from God's presence.

I want to know if you can live with failure, yours and mine, and still stand on the edge of a lake and shout to the silver of the full moon, "Yes!"

It doesn't interest me to know where you live or how much money you have.

I want to know if you can get up after the night of grief and despair, weary and bruised to the bone, and do what needs to be done for the children.

It doesn't interest me who you are, how you came to be here.
I want to know if you will stand in the center of the fire with me and not shrink back.

It doesn't interest me where or what or with whom you have studied.
I want to know what sustains you from the inside when all else falls away.

I want to know if you can be alone with yourself, and if you truly like the company you keep in the empty moments.

~Orian Mountain Dreamer~

Kaneda8888 06-26-2014 06:15 PM

Hey Br00ksie

I am still here, thanks for asking :)

Just running around with a bunch of stuff....my mind has been taken over by this start up.

I am so sorry not to take time and read up on the posts. Its been selfish of me. I will try next week when some of my family is on hols

Love to all

Melina 06-26-2014 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Br00ksie (Post 4742863)
Kaneda - "where you at??"

I went to my first meditation meeting yesterday and loved it so much that I agreed to co-chair! :biglaugh:

So now I'm co-chairing a pothead and AA meeting. Service is essential to my recovery in terms of helping me get in the habit of showing up on a regular basis!

Have a good day everyone!!

:ring

Could you rawk more, Brooksie? You are amazing!

phoebe64 06-27-2014 04:28 AM

Going on a family vacation for a week. Pretty much a kid-centered area, and some nature and shopping. Hoping to do is soberly and healthily. Planning to. Lots of dining out makes it hard, but we also get a place with a kitchen. We can have some meals at home. Bringing games to play with the kids and lost of books on my kindle and from the library. headed to the library at 9 before we go!

Dee74 06-27-2014 04:29 AM

bon voyage rochele :)

D

BLKDIESEL 06-27-2014 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by rochele (Post 4744806)
Going on a family vacation for a week. Pretty much a kid-centered area, and some nature and shopping. Hoping to do is soberly and healthily. Planning to. Lots of dining out makes it hard, but we also get a place with a kitchen. We can have some meals at home. Bringing games to play with the kids and lost of books on my kindle and from the library. headed to the library at 9 before we go!

Njoy the vacation Rochele. Get some good R & R with your family.:c011:

BLKDIESEL 06-27-2014 08:04 AM

~~Food for Thought ~ Thank God It's Friday Edition
~~Have One Less Problem~~

Welcome to the day that you realize that life is EXACTLY what you make it!
Today’s Daily Word is dedicated to fixing your attitude!

Life can be miserable or life can be a happy adventure… It’s all on how you view it! Many times we believe our circumstances dictate how well our lives will be but in actuality our attitude dictates our circumstance! Those who can see the bright side in ANY situation are those who are destined to live the best life possible! On the other hand those who whine, complain, or have a victim mentality are unfortunately destined for doom and gloom!

Understand that how you view something is how it will manifest! You know the saying… You can complain that roses have thorns or be happy that thorns have roses! Either way, your disposition is in your control and will dictate how life will be! Your problems are not really problems at all but the problem is that you don’t see that! Change your perspective and stop giving up your power! Fix your attitude! Even when it’s all bad it’s ALL good! Realize that fact and live life to the fullest!!

~~Healthy Snacks~

“The greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances.”-Martha Washington

“Our life is what our thoughts make it.”-Marcus Aurelius

“A man is happy so long as he chooses to be happy.”-Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.”-Marcus Aurelius,

“Tough times don’t last, tough people do, remember?”-Gregory Peck

The rest of your life will be what you make it. Think of how you can make it outstanding & then follow your own advice.-Ralph Marston

“The only thing that stands between a person and what they want in life is the will to try it and the faith to believe it is possible.”-Rich DeVos

“No matter how many people believe or don’t believe in you, you must be the ultimate believer in yourself!”-Pablo

~Have a great Friday folks... and work on your attitude with gratitude~

PeanutButterCup 06-27-2014 05:43 PM

Hi Everyone!

I hope you're all doing well today!

It's been just kinda okay here. After my meeting today, an older woman kinda chastised me for my share. She doesn't think I should be considering helping out at the recovery service or teaching a Bible study or putting together the rough draft of a book until I have a lot more sober time (at least 5 years, she said). She has many decades (I think around 40 years, but I can't remember for sure) of sobriety. I tried to listen with an open mind and humble spirit to what she was saying, but it still hurt a little. I really don't agree with her, and I can't imagine what her motive could have been in stopping me to tell me that. Does she think what I say will harm someone else? Myself? Or is it something else? I'm trying to figure out the truth in her words and react prudently.

And then dh and I had a beautiful date night, ate out at a nice restaurant with outdoor seating and watched the people go by downtown, then took a really nice walk through a pretty park. And now he's having a few beers with the neighbor and I'm all alone. I probably just need to get to bed and start fresh in the morning.

It is what it is.

BLKDIESEL 06-28-2014 03:52 AM

~~Food For Thought ~ Weekend Edition~~
~~Practice Radical Acceptance~~

Radical Acceptance says that life works better when you accept people for who they are, without judgment. Once you have done that you can then act accordingly.

What does that mean? Here is an example. In a car the accelerator pedal is on the right and the brake is to the left. That is not a big deal. I don't see impassioned pleas to rearrange the pedals. People know this and accept it without judgment. Now let's imagine that you think having this arrangement is bad.

Furthermore, since you don't like it, you are going to act as if the pedals are reversed. It won't take you long to come to grief. But failure to accept people is like the example above. How many of us see, not the person in front of us, but the person we expect to see. Then we act as if they are how we expect to see them. And, sure enough, we come to grief. Come to know them through their actions, accept without judgment and act accordingly.

If the other is a controlling person, then I know I will either need to let go my need for control or be prepared for a battle of wills. If the other is chronically late, then need to invite them early to events, be prepared to start without them or wait. In any case, to get upset is to pretend they are someone different - and that's like pretending the accelerator and brake are reversed, a quick road to grief. Christopher Oliphant

GotGrace 06-28-2014 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by PeanutButterCup (Post 4746011)
Hi Everyone!

I hope you're all doing well today!

It's been just kinda okay here. After my meeting today, an older woman kinda chastised me for my share. She doesn't think I should be considering helping out at the recovery service or teaching a Bible study or putting together the rough draft of a book until I have a lot more sober time (at least 5 years, she said). She has many decades (I think around 40 years, but I can't remember for sure) of sobriety. I tried to listen with an open mind and humble spirit to what she was saying, but it still hurt a little. I really don't agree with her, and I can't imagine what her motive could have been in stopping me to tell me that. Does she think what I say will harm someone else? Myself? Or is it something else? I'm trying to figure out the truth in her words and react prudently.

And then dh and I had a beautiful date night, ate out at a nice restaurant with outdoor seating and watched the people go by downtown, then took a really nice walk through a pretty park. And now he's having a few beers with the neighbor and I'm all alone. I probably just need to get to bed and start fresh in the morning.

It is what it is.

(((PBC)))

I don't know what to say about the lady who called you down on your projects. It sounds like you handled it really well. Maybe just pray for discernment, which I am sure you are already doing. Maybe jealousy fueled her words to you. Who knows?

As for the lonely feeling last night, I know it well. And I am sorry you had to experience it. It doesn't feel good. I hope that sooner or later (sooner, please) I will be better at not letting it hurt my feelings.

I hope your weekend looks better!

GotGrace 06-28-2014 11:57 AM

Have a great, fun-filled trip, Rochele! I hope you will be able to check in and let us know how it is going.

PeanutButterCup 06-28-2014 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by GotGrace (Post 4747457)
(((PBC)))

I don't know what to say about the lady who called you down on your projects. It sounds like you handled it really well. Maybe just pray for discernment, which I am sure you are already doing. Maybe jealousy fueled her words to you. Who knows?

As for the lonely feeling last night, I know it well. And I am sorry you had to experience it. It doesn't feel good. I hope that sooner or later (sooner, please) I will be better at not letting it hurt my feelings.

I hope your weekend looks better!

Thanks, Grace. :) Sometimes a virtual hug is exactly what I need!

Renarde 06-28-2014 09:10 PM

Hey guys,

I'm so sorry I haven't been able to keep up with the thread. My life is unbelievably busy right now. I think of everyone all the time and hope we are all staying sober.

I am feeling grateful for my sobriety right now. If I was actively drinking everything I'm trying to do would just fall down around me.

Love to everyone.

workoholic 06-29-2014 05:37 AM

Sorry BLK, GG and Fish for your hardships this last week. I've been busy with work and my personal life. I've noticed that my blood pressure went up a bit this Winter and when I stopped taking one of my antidepressants it seende to go down again, but my mental state got more misanthropic and pessimistic. So I am taking it Every second day now and will get an appointment with my shrink in August or september to work out a solution.

I opened an account at a dating site but began to feel stressed when thinking about it. :(

Yesterday I got a desperate phone call from work, my friend who was supposed to work last night had forgotten and was away for the weekend. Being sober I accepted to show within the Hour and got extra pay for last nights work. If I'd still be drinking like I used to I'd be incapabable of even answering the phone.

Still sober and happy to be but still lots of problems haha, business as usual ;)

GotGrace 06-29-2014 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by workoholic (Post 4748776)
Sorry BLK, GG and Fish for your hardships this last week. I've been busy with work and my personal life. I've noticed that my blood pressure went up a bit this Winter and when I stopped taking one of my antidepressants it seende to go down again, but my mental state got more misanthropic and pessimistic. So I am taking it Every second day now and will get an appointment with my shrink in August or september to work out a solution.

I opened an account at a dating site but began to feel stressed when thinking about it. :(

Yesterday I got a desperate phone call from work, my friend who was supposed to work last night had forgotten and was away for the weekend. Being sober I accepted to show within the Hour and got extra pay for last nights work. If I'd still be drinking like I used to I'd be incapabable of even answering the phone.

Still sober and happy to be but still lots of problems haha, business as usual ;)

Good to hear from you, Work. That is awesome that you were able to take your friend's shift last night. Situations like that make sobriety really valuable to me.

"Misanthropic and pessimistic." Those are perfect words to describe how I have felt since going off my anxiety meds. I was keeping my head above water till my dog got cancer, my daughter got diabetes, and my dad had another fall. Now I am MISANTHROPIC AND PESSIMISTIC. I plan to call my doctor tomorrow. Enough is enough.

I hope you are able to strike a better balance soon too, Work. The potential of meeting some new people to date shouldn't be stressful.

I hope everyone is having a lovely weekend!

Br00ksie 06-30-2014 03:19 AM

A few weeks ago my sponsor told me that I wasn't ready to take on this scriptwriting project. She is a film maker (in film school) and said that there are other things I could be doing to hone my craft.

I disagreed, mostly because I needed the money and it didn't seem like an exorbitant amount of work (the timeline was originally 2 weeks). But the project has growing into something that is more than I am ready to handle at this point in my sobriety.

I was originally hired to doctor a script that they had, but the deeper I dove into the story, the more holes I found, and I ultimately realized that the concept needs to be completely re-thought.

I emailed the producers on Friday and basically told them that the script needs a LOT of work and that I would need 4-6 weeks to do the work required. They wrote me back telling me how they could accommodate me. One of the options was writing a completely new story idea (which wouldn't be a bad idea).

But horror isn't a genre that I'm interested in, let alone something that I want to spend the next 2 months working on at this point in my sobriety. It was supposed to be a one-and-done type of thing, but it has gotten complicated.

I am the one making it so because I understand "story" and what a good one requires and what this one lacks, but that doesn't mean that I want to or am even ready to write a compelling horror story from scratch.

Because I've been focused on this script, I have neglected essential things in my life like sleep and exercise. Because of how tired I was from the week, all I did was stay in my bed this weekend. I got overwhelmed by the project and shut down and barely responded to anyone. I missed my sponsor's birthday dinner, I missed 4 days of meetings.

Now I understand what my sponsor meant now when she said that I wasn't ready to take on the project. She was right! I think I am going to have to tell them that I can't do it.

PBC - People with a lot of time have insight into situations that we may not yet be spiritually fit to handle. Their insight comes from experience. I'm not saying that the old lady is right, but she has more insight into this disease and -whereas she may very well have been projecting her own past experiences onto you- she may be seeing something that you, at this stage in your sobriety with the amount of time you have, cannot see.

Take her words with a grain of salt. Maybe do it until you hear the old lady's voice in your head. :hug:

PeanutButterCup 06-30-2014 03:50 AM

Thanks, Brooksie. That sounds prudent and wise. :)

Work, that's so awesome that you were able to be there for your friend. Yet another example of how sobriety has freed us.

BLKDIESEL 06-30-2014 03:53 AM

~~A Somber Monday Morning~~

Good morning Folks....

Feeling a little isolated this morning, had a decent weekend but felt a little alone and had some time to do some soul searching and felt a little melancoly afterward, so my mood this morning is a little somber and isolated so need to vent and needed someone to talk with.