SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of January 2014 Part 5 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/320484-class-january-2014-part-5-a.html)

new star 01-23-2014 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by IreLander (Post 4427532)
Heya all! Well you were all right, I talked to my dad this morning and while he was very disappointed, he definitely was supportive. OMW now to have dinner with him and talk a little more. HUGE weight off my heart. Ill check in later guys! Welcome to all the new folks on here! this is a great place to be!

That's fantastic! You must be so relieved :)

Sulu1 01-23-2014 05:32 PM

Irelander I am so happy to hear that :)

Marymacsmith 01-23-2014 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by carebearlost (Post 4427788)
End of Day 9, struggling with cravings. I went to the gym this morning and then went and ruined all my hard work by eating a box of chocolate...ughhh

Hey Carebear, look at the things you did right today, you did not drink, and you went to the gym!!!!:c011:

EternalQ 01-23-2014 06:39 PM

Carebear sometimes in the first month I didn't hardly get out of bed..... if i was afraid I'd drive to the liquor store then I stayed in my PJs if necessary. I think you did well!

This is just the beginning. It won't always be like this guys.... or who would do it?

IreLander 01-23-2014 06:45 PM

Was a great dinner guys! I am so blessed to have wonderful support all around me, and it starts with this website. I absolutely over analyze everything, and sometimes if you have 10 people telling you to do X and you are the only one convinced you should do Y, you're definitely going to want to go with the majority... My head got me into this predicament, maybe its just that simple that I need to let people who know do my thinking for me. Thanks again for everyone's advice, I am not sure what I would do without you all.

OliveDog 01-23-2014 06:45 PM

Back from a work dinner safe and sober.

Good thing. The power went out around here and all the traffic lights were out driving back from the restaurant. It was a bit chaotic at each intersection. And it's snowing.

Power out at home, too. Hope it's back soon. It's flipping cold.

adee 01-23-2014 07:14 PM

Irelander, that is so great. Good for you for dealing with this head on.

carebear - you are an amazing success. No failure anywhere I see. Right now it's all about surviving. You are doing great.

My husband is on his second glass of wine. I can't control what other people do but I can control what I do. I'm not drinking tonight.

Ending day 25. 25 days!

ronjohn 01-23-2014 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by carebearlost (Post 4427788)
End of Day 9, struggling with cravings. I went to the gym this morning and then went and ruined all my hard work by eating a box of chocolate...ughhh

My wife would tell you she went to the gym so she could eat the box of chocolate...

Her addiction for sugar is just as strong as my addition for alcohol, if not stronger...

Imabuleva 01-23-2014 07:55 PM

Going into day 5 tomorrow. Looking forward to some real sleep tonight.

Odelle 01-23-2014 08:11 PM

I just got back from a walk with my daughter, caught up on this thread and unwinding for the evening. Congratulations to those hitting milestones and racking up the days, welcome to our newest members, and kudos for getting back into the game for those who slipped. Heading into day 30 tomorrow; no tempting fate on my end, I did my mid-week shopping after work, so straight home tomorrow!

Wishing everyone a peaceful day or evening.

Emkay 01-23-2014 08:41 PM

Checking in - no drinking over here! Long and cold day, fell asleep watching TV. Be back tomorrow - be well!

justinJustQuit 01-23-2014 09:10 PM

Hi all, checking in. Day 12 of sobriety is less than an hour away.

milly4me 01-23-2014 09:15 PM

Day 5 down. Hubby had a glass of tequila tonight and actually at one point he asked me to pass it to him. I smelled it. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. So day 5 was easy peasy. Tomorrow, however, is a dinner party...good liquor will be flowing. I guess I have to decide now whether I'll be drinking. So I've decided I won't be. This is gonna be a tough one.

justinJustQuit 01-23-2014 09:23 PM

I just wouldn't go if you have doubts. I've skipped out on a lot of family functions, but after failing multiple times, I realized I had to. I will continue to skip them as long as I feel like I can't stay sober.

Goldcoastgirl 01-23-2014 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by milly4me (Post 4428103)
Day 5 down. Hubby had a glass of tequila tonight and actually at one point he asked me to pass it to him. I smelled it. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. So day 5 was easy peasy. Tomorrow, however, is a dinner party...good liquor will be flowing. I guess I have to decide now whether I'll be drinking. So I've decided I won't be. This is gonna be a tough one.

Milly, can you be the designated driver? I went out for my first dinner the other night after quitting and thought god, how am I going to get through this without a drink. The three other people (including my husband) only had one alcoholic drink the whole of the 2 1/2 hour dinner. If I had been drinking I would have had at least 1/2 dozen! Not everyone drinks like we did.

If you honestly don't think you can not drink, I wouldn't go either. It is just not worth the heartache you will put yourself through (and possible outcome) if you do. Just don't pressure yourself too much at this early stage.

milly4me 01-23-2014 09:45 PM

Justin- you are probably right but i'm pretty set on going to this dinner party. I've recently moved to a new community and this is a sweet invite with just the crowd I would love to hang with. The seem like really good people...I'm sure there will be good liquor...but i'm equally sure that no one will care or notice if I dont partake. I'm planning on claiming to have a medication conflict. Not honest. But i feel like its what I need to do.

milly4me 01-23-2014 10:02 PM

Thanks Goldcoastgirl...No driver needed. We'll be walking. Also I really dont think I would over-indulge at this thing. I'm too concerned about making a good impression with a new group. And I'm hoping this will be an opportunity to meet new people and start new routines. But my fear is if I did cave and have even a half glass of wine I would be inclined to think I could handle myself in any social situation.

In fact, there is a meeting on Saturday at a club we recently joined. They will be opening the bar following the meeting. I already told hubby I'm not going. He thinks I should at least attend the meeting. But this ones a hard one for me. I dont trust myself to walk away before the bar opens. So I'm passing on that event altogether.

I guess i'm just trying to figure out how to muddle my way through this.

Goldcoastgirl 01-23-2014 10:05 PM

It isn't easy Milly I know. I have been staying very close to home since 1 Jan. I have only had two occasions which I have had to face where people were drinking. I know when I gave up smoking years ago I would think, what do I do now to occupy myself instead of smoking? How do I fill in my time? Now looking back that seems stupid, but I know it is the same now - it's just a phase of warped thinking we are going through I think. Let us know how you cope with your challenges.

adee 01-23-2014 10:07 PM

I also am in a new community and I think there is an upside to social engagements - you don't have to drink. Nobody will expect you to drink because they don't know you. Old drinking buddies aren't going to be doing the whole "come on - you know you want one" routine. My suggestion is to not lie - don't give any reason. When someone asks you what you want to drink just say, "I'd love a glass of ice water (cup of tea, coke, whatever). Done. And now you get a chance to start a totally new social pattern where you don't drink. People really don't care if you drink or not. Or at least the people you really want as friends don't care. Make a promise to yourself, and tell your husband you won't drink, and tell us before you go, and go and don't drink, and have fun. You can do this.

Dee74 01-23-2014 10:39 PM

I waited a while before I put myself in testing situations - I'm glad I did that.

I remember other times when I was all fired up to test my resolve and I either drank or had a miserable time and drank later when I got home, or the next day.

I think there will always been invites and parties later, when we feel stronger and more secure in our recovery.

D