SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of September 2013 part 5 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/307969-class-september-2013-part-5-a.html)

Renarde 09-19-2013 10:22 PM

Quick update on me - another sober day. Yay! I am full of gratitude.

Baby is pretty sick. I stayed home today to go to the pediatrician. Sinus infection and bronchiolitis. Baby is back on antibiotics and a nebulizer. Upsetting bc we may need to see an ENT bc colds always seem to be followed by sinus infection and bad cough. Regardless I feel so glad I listened to my gut and skipped class to care for my boo.

I was so tired after being up all night. Took a nap when little one napped. Went for a run later on. It was good. Moving day is in a week and so is my race and then finals. Husband is still struggling and taking prescribed Xanax at night. At least he will get rest and food this way and won't drink away his anxiety which is how I became an alcoholic by drinking away my depression and anxiety and later every other single feeling and experience. I have so much happening that I am just taking it all day by day.

One of my inlaws is coming this weekend and he may ask for vodka or try to buy wine. I'm going to make sure there is not any wine in the house. I'll tell him what's up if I have to.

Busy day tomorrow so I am off to bed. So proud of everyone in our class.

Dee74 09-19-2013 10:28 PM

prayers for you and bubs Renarde :)

D

lommey 09-19-2013 11:32 PM

hope baby gets better soon .your a strong lady look after yourself through all this mayhem xx

fifth 09-20-2013 12:06 AM

Renarde - my thoughts will be with you

Here I am, day 6, I'm enjoying my sober life but in the mornings I always have cravings

Dee74 09-20-2013 12:14 AM

what do you do to get through them fifth?

D

Black 09-20-2013 12:38 AM

Morning guys,
Renarde poor you and your poor wee baby hopefully them antibiotics will kick in soon and give a little peace.

leaving soon to see Dr so will call back later.

FishnHippy 09-20-2013 01:11 AM

I did something today that helped me out a little bit. I took a notebook and I wrote down all the bad things that drunk Fish Hippy did.Broken promises, lies about the alcohol , lost friendships, embarrassing moments passing out at a NASCAR race being picked pocketed losing wallet and cell phone, losing interest in everything family, hygiene, hobbies it was like I was having an affair with another woman sneaking around and hiding my actions hiding bottles everywhere forgetting where they were but the other woman was alcohol. I got done writing this notebook it looks like a novel. I started reading this novel and I thought G I would not want to be this poor sucker a tear came to my eyes and realized I was this sucker 12 days ago. And from now on when my AV or my sexy brain beast starts talking to me I'm going to pull out his novel read a chapter and tell them to go away.

Tallia 09-20-2013 01:28 AM

Renarde hope the little one is better soon

Black thinking of you today xx

Fifth ride out those cravings they will pass have you read about the urge surfing technique?

Fish a notebook of things done is a great idea think I will need to keep mine well hidden.

Found another stash of empty bottles this morning pretty amazed nobody ever caught on to the amount I drank they now safely disposed of hopefully that's the last of them.

Felt a bit strange last night I kinda felt happy had engery to do things without a struggle not felt that sober for a while. Either been hungover or tired from weekend binge or false happy and energy from drinking yay baby steps but it did feel good.

Hope all the set September crew are doing good today if not post away this is a great group for support xxx

lorelei 09-20-2013 01:47 AM

Morning all!!!!

Pouring with rain again here, but I have been for a run, showered and ready to work now, so all is good, hope everyone is doing well today. day 20 for me, and a few others, SoberSept is almost complete!!!

Black, thinking of you today sweetie x
fifth, keep fighting those cravings you are doing so well x
Renarde hope your little princess is soon much better x
Tallia, so glad you were feeling good, baby steps maybe but they are leading to good things xx
fish, tell that sexy voice where to go, 12 days is fab x
EVERYONE :ring

keep strong lets have a sober sept wkend xx

Sulu1 09-20-2013 02:47 AM

Morning all, day 7 but drank once in the past month. Feeling good and positive about the opportunities in my sober life.

Looking at flats/apartments for the big move next month (provided I pass all the reference checks etc!). Things are finally starting to look up for me. Long may it continue.

lorelei 09-20-2013 02:50 AM

mega exciting times ahead for you G, remember how far you have come, one slip, is nothing in the grand scheme of things you are def a finisher & a true septemberite xx

bridgeeboo2006 09-20-2013 03:05 AM

Wow Ren u do have a lot going on...good for u holding it together. You're a great example to me..starting day 6. U too Lorelei ...glad you're feeling positive. I am proud of my yesterday and hope for a repeat today. My boyfriend was really happy I found SR and started talking and getting support. He is a little relieved I know and feels more confident that we can make it. That puts me at ease to just concentrate on being sober. I think before I'd have been relieved he said that and given myself the go ahead to drink again. Not doing that this time. Feeling really positive as this day begins and hoping it lasts throughout. Good day to all. Xo

jazzfish 09-20-2013 03:25 AM

It's good to be here on Day 11. It is really nice to see everyone who is giving support to others. Slowly, I am seeing just how wrapped up in myself I have been while drinking. I am slowly starting to unwrap and look out toward others. Thanks for all the positive examples.

gatorgirl67 09-20-2013 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Renarde (Post 4191054)
This is also something we have in common. I am the same way - I haven't done anything outrageous or terribly regrettable, etc. I had a blackout in 2008 that was pretty awful, but that was five years ago. However everyone says alcoholism is a progressive disease. Who knows how long it would take for us to get to that kind of point. A big reason I have for quitting is that in fact I am not that bad yet. I have too much to lose. If you have two nice dogs then so do you. ;)

The progression is what scares me, too!! We can all learn a lot from our friends here who are kind enough to share their stories and help get others on the right track!! SR rocks!!

Kaneda8888 09-20-2013 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by FishnHippy (Post 4191197)
I did something today that helped me out a little bit. I took a notebook and I wrote down all the bad things that drunk Fish Hippy did.Broken promises, lies about the alcohol , lost friendships, embarrassing moments passing out at a NASCAR race being picked pocketed losing wallet and cell phone, losing interest in everything family, hygiene, hobbies it was like I was having an affair with another woman sneaking around and hiding my actions hiding bottles everywhere forgetting where they were but the other woman was alcohol. I got done writing this notebook it looks like a novel. I started reading this novel and I thought G I would not want to be this poor sucker a tear came to my eyes and realized I was this sucker 12 days ago. And from now on when my AV or my sexy brain beast starts talking to me I'm going to pull out his novel read a chapter and tell them to go away.

That reminds me of one of the AA steps that my sponsor will eventually ask me to do. It's basically an inventory of all the evil and nasty things you have done I think. It's meant to be cathartic. I couldn't write it now without crumbling into a mound of shame and guilt. So, I admire your strength !

Yoctopus 09-20-2013 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Hooped (Post 4190945)
My wife is still drinking.

I had hoped she would jump on board with me and for the first four days we had no alcohol in the house at all, she didn't drink either.

For the last 6 evenings however, she has drank a 6 pack (at least) every night.
It doesn't bother me other than I can smell beer on her breath from 10 feet away.

While I would sure like it if she would also quit, it's not my decision. She can do what she wants, when she wants. It's not up to me. What is up to me is to work on my own recovery.

I actually went in to the liquor store to pick up her beer for her today.
Didn't really bother me although I did notice how putrid the air smelled in there. Probably
from broken bottles or whatever.

Gotta admit though;; it does up the stress level somewhat from an alcohol free house.

It's not going to make me start up again at all. This house is big enough I have my own refuge to escape to if need be.

My hope is that she notices the changes for the better in me... and decides she might like that too.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Stay strong hooped. If you ever need anyone to chat with send me a message. I'm just starting day 20 here. My F stopped drinking for the first 2 or 3 days, but has gone back to her nightly wine and/or cinnamon whisky with hard cider. We still have my favorite seasonal beer sitting in the fridge, waiting for me to drink it like it's September 1. I've actually gone to eat at bars with F about a dozen times over the past 20 days. It has always been our thing to have dinner out and we live in an area with amazing food/bars. I have watched her drink some of my favorite beers as I sit at the bar with a soda or a water. Sometimes I crave it, but it sort of disgusts me right now. Part of me looks at it as a test - both of my ability to cope with temptation, but also my F might be thinking that I will ask her to stop or change her lifestyle and if I do she could say that my problem isn't her problem and she doesn't need to change because I'm the one that gets crazy drunk and violent. I'm actually getting to the point where the thought of alcohol is rather repulsive. I'll take it!

In other news, I attended an excellent session of counseling last night. My therapist wanted to do some relaxation hypnosis with me at the end of the session. It was flat out amazing. It filled me with hope that not only can I beat alcohol, I can survive anything that comes my way. I am developing a plan for the future to accomplish my goals. I have a lot of potential professionally to advance where I work, and now that my alcoholic brain is calming down I would like to focus on that. I am excited for the future.

Bird615 09-20-2013 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by lorelei (Post 4190248)
Hey guys,
Well that was interesting I couldn't handle being sat in a pub, had some food, and had to get out, drank diet pepsi and didn't want to drink, but just the atmosphere was too much so I bailed :react

Wow, I'm impressed! Getting up and walking out of boozy situation that has you uncomfortable is one of the smartest, gutsiest things you can do. Way to go, lorelei!

IMO, anyway.:c011:

Yoctopus 09-20-2013 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by gatorgirl67 (Post 4191319)
The progression is what scares me, too!! We can all learn a lot from our friends here who are kind enough to share their stories and help get others on the right track!! SR rocks!!

For me, the progression was right around the corner. I drank moderately for years and always wound up drunk and sick. Never blacked out - didn't even think that was a real thing. Over the past 6 months I have blacked out a dozen times, sent angry texts to people I barely know, sent horrible emails to people, found myself in places not remembering how I got there, and been emotionally and physically abusive to my Fiancé. It seemed to happen overnight. I've been told about the things I've said and done in a blackout stupor and it is terrible. Stopping now will most likely be what keeps me alive or out of jail.

phoebe64 09-20-2013 03:58 AM

Hello all on day 13? I am losing track, have ot use my fingers lol. I feel awful. Ugh. Cold is in my chest now. My usual progression. And my friend arrives this afternoon. I will just have to push on through this weekend and do my best to show her around. She is looking for a relaxing time anyway, so we do noy have to keep a tigh titinerary.

I may be scarce for the weekend, and today, trying to rest up. But, I feel strong in my sobriety this weekend. This friend does not drink at all, just doesn't, no reason, really. Just a med many of the rest of us would drink with! So, no temptations or awkwardness out to dinner or such. She will not want to go to any pubs or bars.

Renarde, I hope your little one gets better fast with the antibiotics! How awful. Bad timing too, all around. And bad timing on company coming, unless he will pitch in and help you pack!! I hope that is the plan. I am overwhelmed just reading your posts this week.

Grindilow, well done on th ejob offerr and moving onto a new and exciting sober life. It will only help you do well at your new job. Stay strong as you make new friends. You now can choose them wisely, and avoid the heavy drinking crowd.

Lorelai, sweet as ever. How are you doing? So caring about everyone else.

Fishinhippie, you are working on your sobriety full force. well done. and you have some great lines, You are funny! Love that! Maybe sobriety is sharpening your wit!

Newleaf, how are you? Busy?

Welcome to anyone new, hello to everyone esle. Gotta go sign into the sober weekend pledge thread!

Bird615 09-20-2013 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Uninvited (Post 4190695)
Wow. Ok no I can't do that. 9.5 hours almost killed me. :gaah

I tried for over 10 years to quit smoking before I was finally successful and that was when I had already been sober for quite some time. It taught me a lot about myself and it's true that it usually takes multiple attempts before one can quit successfully.

A lot of what I learned from quitting tobacco, I'm applying to the alcohol this time around. I often thought that quitting alcohol was way more difficult than quitting drinking.