SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of April 2013 Part 6 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/302982-class-april-2013-part-6-a.html)

Dee74 09-10-2013 01:56 PM

welcome Gordon :)

D

DG0409 09-10-2013 09:40 PM

Fruity- Glad to see you back on here. Thanks for checking in and letting us know how it's going.

Drake- Glad to heat the jelly turned out well. :)

Gordon- Welcome to the April thread. And congrats on 5 months!!

Biker- Good luck on the new job. I know what you mean about getting more done when you're under a tight schedule.

Yesterday was 5 months for me!!

Dee74 09-10-2013 09:44 PM

that's fantastic DG - congratulations :)

D

DG0409 09-10-2013 10:21 PM

Thanks Dee. :)

DrakeCKC 09-11-2013 04:47 AM

Congrats on 5 months DG! :c011:

DG0409 09-11-2013 06:48 AM

Thanks Drake.

Goat 09-12-2013 08:35 PM

Congrats DG! Almost two months on the wacky tobaccy, too!

DG0409 09-13-2013 06:33 AM

Thanks Goat.

Hope you're doing well. Did you land some new contracts after the name change?

DrakeCKC 09-13-2013 03:13 PM

Greetings class not much shaking here. Looking towards a quiet weekend. Weather looks good, hot spell seems to have broke finally. Went from high summer to fall in one week. Cruising towards 6 months. Never thought I'd get that far.

Have a great weekend class!

Goat 09-13-2013 08:02 PM

Awesome Drake, 6 months will be quite a milestone!

Originally Posted by DG0409 (Post 4177860)
Thanks Goat.

Hope you're doing well. Did you land some new contracts after the name change?

Almost. It made them pay attention. I'm getting 10-15 headhunter contacts per day but many of them are junk... like "did you read my resume before contacting me?" I'm thinking about taking my phone number off my resume... the serious ones seem to understand that software engineers consider it rude to call before emailing, so I wouldn't lose any good contacts, and I'd be able to start answering my phone again :)

I have a meeting on Monday with a local prominent publisher of educational material for children, and a meeting on Thursday with a company in Rochester, NY that wants my architecture experience (software architecture, not physical architecture, for those not familiar with what I do).

Hopefully one or both of those will turn into money. I have concerns that the local folks may have the delusion that I will come sit in their office every day. That would adversely affect my ability to work multiple contracts, but if I have no other offers then I'll take what I can. The Rochester guys know I'm remote. I'm working on getting a meeting with a potential client in Charlotte, NC as well. I'm pretty excited about that one... I like Charlotte :)

Also.... I had a meeting with a tax attorney this week, and he is working some magic on my tax situation. The whole situation became substantially less dire over the course of the meeting.

DG0409 09-14-2013 07:20 AM

Goat, glad to hear you have a couple of leads. Keep us updated. I miss your posts, you never post enough anymore. Hmm, I think I need a tax attorney to work some magic, too. :)

It's a rainy day here, so I'm going to have to find some inside things to keep myself busy or get drenched. I was hoping to get some yard work done today, but I'm doubtful that will happen.

Hope all you Bandicoots have a good weekend.

DG0409 09-16-2013 06:30 AM

Goat, congrats on 5 months!! :dance8::Dance7::dance8::Dance7::dance8:

AnotherPaul 09-16-2013 04:42 PM

5 months and 10 days here. I still think of alcohol just about every day but even the worst of cravings doesn't put me anywhere near the point of going to the liquor store. I can't even imagine doing that. I've got too many good things going in my life right now to waste even one night.

Hope all are well and prospering. I'm very glad to see several of you still here with me.

Dee74 09-16-2013 05:23 PM

congrats to everyone hitting 5 or 6 months :)

D

Goat 09-18-2013 08:54 AM

Hiya April-os!

I feel like this thread got the wind taken out of its sails last week.

I don't post much, but I do like the input and contact from the folks here. I have spent a lot of thought on why I don't post much, but I don't have a lot of answers yet. I come here every day, wanting to post something, but I never feel like I have anything worthwhile to say.

I think I like to post successes, and I like having the lifeline in case things start running afoul in my recovery. But when things in life outside recovery are not going well I just have a hard time bringing myself to post about it.

Frankly life is very difficult right now and there really aren't any successes to report, and my program is solid at the moment, so I've been kinda silent.

But today I have a success to report. Not with the work situation, unfortunately... but with my program.

Ready?

I am starting a meeting! October 5th will be the first meeting of a brand new AA meeting that I am starting in the town closest to me. There is a dire need for a meeting in this town, and there hasn't been one here for several years. Anyone in recovery in this area has to drive quite a distance to the closest AA meetings in the larger towns.

I already have a whole bunch of folks who are clamoring to attend this meeting, and on Friday I will start distributing fliers to all my AA friends so they can take them to all their meetings.

Should someone with more sober time be starting this meeting instead of me? Yep. But nobody is gonna. So if it's gonna happen I have to do it!

Anyway, I'm pretty psyched about this :)

Anyway, I'm sorry I don't post more. I will keep trying. I'll let y'all know when I finally get a job again. I hope everyone else hasn't been too disheartened about this thread... I have found this group to be very encouraging, and I hope other people feel that way too.

DrakeCKC 09-18-2013 09:33 AM

Good to hear from you Goat! Great news on starting the AA meeting, sounds like it fills a need. :c011:

I have not given up on my class, I guess I am just on cruise control with sobriety. I wish I could say everything was just fabulous, it is not, I still have lots of issues to face and sadly have not made a ton of progress. But I stay sober, have made some progress and look at things a bit more clearly.

Take care all, have a great day/week or whatever time you check in!

Goat 09-18-2013 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by DG0409 (Post 4183570)
Goat, congrats on 5 months!! :dance8::Dance7::dance8::Dance7::dance8:

Thanks DG! I actually posted a long response to this when you first said it, but I just now realized SR ate it and it never posted!

Dee74 09-18-2013 03:57 PM

Hope everyones doin ok - I'm back on deck and feeling good again :)

D

Goat 09-18-2013 06:39 PM

Glad to see you back Dee!

Dee74 09-18-2013 07:09 PM

thanks Goat :D

D