SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of February 2013 part 4 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/286267-class-february-2013-part-4-a.html)

Goose1 03-12-2013 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by SistahSober (Post 3856812)
Hello all...I'm not doing to good today. I had a really bad panic attack last night and today depression/anxiety is lurking. I wish I knew someone who I could talk to who has actually experienced this surreal feeling. I am going to see another psychiatrist and maybe get some better meds. It's crazy to me how alcohol can make you feel like getting hit by a bus after stopping. My life is such a mess right now it feels unbelievable that I can't shake this off!

Here is a special song for you SistahSober. Please listen to the words. Blessings - Laura Story (with lyrics) - YouTube I pray that you will find Peace.

Easyrider 03-12-2013 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Odelle (Post 3858353)
Hi Easyrider. You had invited others to join you in a previous post, so I am going to take you up on that! My last vice to conquer! I can only hope and pray that it goes as well as putting down the bottle. Maybe I should see a hypnotist and have him convince me that I'm pregnant. I had no problem quitting during my pregnancies, although that was 23 years ago! Okay, to save these poor souls the rants I am sure we will have, shall we meet on the Nicotine thread? (Nicotine/Smoking - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information)

As they say, "misery loves company," so let's do this! I too will be using patches. I'm in the US so we do have a time difference but hopefully, if one of us really needs to vent, someone else on that thread will be able to post a quick reply. :c004: :c021: :headbange

My dear February classmates, smoking addiction is similar to alcoholism, you can't understand the disgusting habit unless you're the addict. Extra prayers would be appreciated.

Awesome! We can do this :D

Odelle 03-12-2013 10:51 AM

Hi EasyRider, it looks like Mvngon is joining us! Do you want to start a thread in the Nicotine section, maybe 'Class of March' or something easy to find? That way we can all stay on the same thread and not miss any posts. Newbies should be encouraged to jump onboard, also. The more the merrier!

melissa6381 03-12-2013 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by SistahSober (Post 3858177)

They are out of this world. I feel like I'm dreaming...it scares me! I question reality...it scares me! Am I alive...it scares me! What does it mean to be alive as a human being...it scares me! Existing and to one day not exist and not even know it...scares me! My thoughts go all over the place.

the one common bond that all humans share is that none of us have any idea on what the heck is going on here. Such a strange thing reality, time and existence all is but most people don't question or think about it like you do because the questions are so big and uncomfortable.

I feel like you need an outlet for this energy. Like instead of trying to push these questions down you need to actively seek answers.

When I was 15 my grandfather died for 10 minutes and came back to life. He had this really crazy story to tell about bright white light, indescribable love and a choice to come back. Before this experience he was a gruff and hard man. A life long hunter now he was volunteering at animal shelters. This was the moment my spiritual journey began.

I read everything I could on people's accounts of their own near death experiences- the internet is a good place for this. then I found Brian Weiss "many lives many masters" which is about a hypnotherapist who was treating someone with a fear of small spaces he told her "go back to the time when this phobia began" and she starts telling of this past life in Egypt were she was buried alive in a tomb. So then I read everything i could about past life regression.

The third most important part of my journey was reading spiritual books from spiritual leaders like eckhart tolles book "a new earth" that the excerpt was from, a brief history of everything, by ken wilber and a conversation with god by neale Walsch all changed me and my views on life profoundly

I don't claim to have the answers. My spirituality and beliefs are ever changing but i do think you will benefit from taking a journey of your own. <3

venuscat 03-12-2013 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Goose1 (Post 3858122)
Melissa6381 The poem is written by a Sylvia Kelly. I really feel it is reflective of our lives in so many ways. That being that it takes strength and courage to overcome our addiction many times over in many areas of our lives. Late in my Marine Corps career the Marine Corps tried to save me by sending me to rehab. While there, we were introduced to AA. A man I met gave me a book called 24 hours a day. This was years and years ago and I still have the book. Well, Jim really tried to help me. Inside the book he wrote. "Total Surrender" Don't Fight! Don't Just Take and Give, Share. Action Leads Thoughts. For some reason, I could never latch on to the "Total Surrender" part of what Jim was telling me. Afterall, how could I surrender to something and especially booze-alcohol. It's funny and this is the way I look at "it" today - I tell the alcohol "you win, I give up." In all actuality and in truth, I am the real Winner in this battle. I won't allow the booze to control me anymore...

Goose,

I too battled for years with regards to surrender.

Your words are wonderful ~ and I feel the same way. This surrender is the first time I have known any peace in my entire adult life.

Thank you for being here Goose...it is an honour to know you.

Love Venus xx

melissa6381 03-12-2013 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Goose1 (Post 3858122)
Melissa6381 The poem is written by a Sylvia Kelly. I really feel it is reflective of our lives in so many ways. That being that it takes strength and courage to overcome our addiction many times over in many areas of our lives. Late in my Marine Corps career the Marine Corps tried to save me by sending me to rehab. While there, we were introduced to AA. A man I met gave me a book called 24 hours a day. This was years and years ago and I still have the book. Well, Jim really tried to help me. Inside the book he wrote. "Total Surrender" Don't Fight! Don't Just Take and Give, Share. Action Leads Thoughts. For some reason, I could never latch on to the "Total Surrender" part of what Jim was telling me. Afterall, how could I surrender to something and especially booze-alcohol. It's funny and this is the way I look at "it" today - I tell the alcohol "you win, I give up." In all actuality and in truth, I am the real Winner in this battle. I won't allow the booze to control me anymore...

Goose thanks for sharing this story, I really enjoyed it. I often write things in the marginsnof my books and love revisiting them later on with new perspective

venuscat 03-12-2013 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Odelle (Post 3858353)
Hi Easyrider. You had invited others to join you in a previous post, so I am going to take you up on that! My last vice to conquer! I can only hope and pray that it goes as well as putting down the bottle. Maybe I should see a hypnotist and have him convince me that I'm pregnant. I had no problem quitting during my pregnancies, although that was 23 years ago! Okay, to save these poor souls the rants I am sure we will have, shall we meet on the Nicotine thread? (Nicotine/Smoking - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information)

As they say, "misery loves company," so let's do this! I too will be using patches. I'm in the US so we do have a time difference but hopefully, if one of us really needs to vent, someone else on that thread will be able to post a quick reply. :c004: :c021: :headbange

My dear February classmates, smoking addiction is similar to alcoholism, you can't understand the disgusting habit unless you're the addict. Extra prayers would be appreciated.

Me too PLEASE ~ I am afraid of quitting smoking....it is my last crutch. I need help!!!! So may I join you guys??

I'm not going to do patches though...cold turkey for me!

Odelle and Easyrider and MvngOn,

We can do this (she says hopefully)

Love you all,

Venus xx :)

venuscat 03-12-2013 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Goose1 (Post 3858518)
Congrats Melissa 30 days = 720 hours or 43,200 minutes or 2,592,000 seconds. It only takes a second to pick up. If you can do 30, you can do 31. Way to lead by example Melissa.:bbk:

Melissa,

I think I missed it ~ DANG!!!! ~ Congratulations beautiful girl on 30 days!!!

You are an inspiration and a blessing, and I love you very much!!

And so proud of you and happy for you!!!!

1stepup 03-12-2013 01:37 PM

Hi everyone day 18 here! Thank you so much Venus for your kind words they really touched me, sorry for the late reply, i havent had internet access last night and today as ive been at my dads.

Been trying to catch up with everyones posts, so much love and understanding here i truely appreciate everyones comments.

Feel ill today- just a bad cold virus- so havent really had any urge to drink.

Best wishes to you all.:thanks

venuscat 03-12-2013 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by PreciousKitty (Post 3858524)
Good Morning Everyone,

Feeling a bit Blah today:( Nothing serious, I guess I was just getting used to feeling awesome all the time.

I really want to get into my job and finish projects and venture out a bit here. i often wonder if there is something else out hthere for me.

I have heard and agree that if a person cannot be happy in their current job, they won't be happy in another.

I really used to enjoy my accomplishments and challenges at work. It's getting beter but not where I want it.

This site is one of the most intriguing activitys I have done for a while. I want to find other things that will do that for me.

Anyone have something to motivate me today?

Good luck to all the smokers that are quiting this month. It has got to be difficult. You can do it!

Dearest Kitty Cat Cuz,

Melissa has been quoting form Ekhart Tolle, I love him...as well as The New Earth, he wrote The Power of Now; I have this book and have not read much of it yet, but I think that the time is NOW for both of us hun!

Think we will both learn a lot....can't think of anything more motivational, his book kinda rocked a lot of peoples' worlds!!

Love you,

Fitness1234 03-12-2013 02:19 PM

Hey so sista...I use to get very bad anxiety when I drank...now 18 days later its much better..have you tried exercise..that seems to help me a lot

fantail 03-12-2013 02:20 PM

OK, I'm on the quitting smoking train, too. I was barely smoking til I quit, and now for the last month I've been smoking like a chimney! Time to say good-bye. EasyRider, Odelle, Mvngon, and Venus, count me in.

PK -- I know that feeling. I personally tend to get bored in my job if it's not fresh... is there any way of bringing some novelty into your projects? Maybe working with different people or trying new methods? It depends on your line of work. One thing I love to do when I'm stuck is brainstorm with a coworker. I'll grab someone for twenty minutes or half an hour and get their perspective on my topic. Might not work in all companies but in mine it was a good way to get fresh eyes on my work.

venuscat 03-12-2013 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by SistahSober (Post 3858177)
They are out of this world. I feel like I'm dreaming...it scares me! I question reality...it scares me! Am I alive...it scares me! What does it mean to be alive as a human being...it scares me! Existing and to one day not exist and not even know it...scares me! My thoughts go all over the place.

Yes love,

This sounds like anxiety...did you see the link that Dee posted for you?? It sounds like it could be very helpful!!!!! Thoughts racing are common amongst those of us who suffer from anxiety and have panic attacks....

.....cannot stress this enough..... BREATH....slow deep breaths in and out...and I say the serenity prayer in my head as i'm doing so.....with the line added at the end....Thy Will Not Mine Be Done....(from the Big Book).

Odelle 03-12-2013 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Easyrider (Post 3858550)
Awesome! We can do this :D

Easyrider, your posse has grown! I started a thread under Special Interest Groups, Nicotine/Smoking called March Madness - http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...h-madness.html. Members include Easyrider, Odelle, Venuscat, Fantail and MvngOn.

Check in daily, share, vent, cry, whatever is necessary to get us through the first few weeks of madness. Here’s to our success!!!

:grumble:

wehav2day 03-12-2013 04:14 PM

Sistah Sober, i have racing thoughts a lot. and that pit of stomach/chest pain feeling of dread. it's getting better with 18 days sober, but i don't think it will go away on its own completely. it was a reason i drank after all. sometimes, i do some meditation. i have an aunt by marriage who is from india and she goes to a place in california called the self realization fellowship. they don't really tout any particular religion, so you shouldn't have to worry about that if you feel like trying it. they have a website and guided meditations, i do the "meditate on peace" one sometimes and it helps.

wow, congrats to all of you quitting smoking! that's really hard. i'm a non smoker, but smoked a little in college and it was hard to give up even after a short time. are we allowed to cheer you on occasionally on the nicotine thread?

Dee74 03-12-2013 04:19 PM

Time for new thread guys :)

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-5-a.html

D