SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of February 2013 part 3 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/285726-class-february-2013-part-3-a.html)

Goose1 02-27-2013 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by bunny44 (Post 3838850)
Good evening my friends!

Checking in here and thrilled at all the love. I have never been the cheerleader type, but dang, we are really great!

I see you. Each of you. You are afraid and alone. You are braving any excuse to have a 'normal' day. You are keeping your mind busy with work or chores or music or books or the sky! You are passing up on the bottle. You are choosing to be present in this moment because this moment, be it beautiful or painful or fearful, is the moment your life is starting. Really starting. No more hiding. No more secrets. Yes, there will be some things to set right. But the future is CLEAN. That terrible weight, that horrible waiting and planning to drink and to lie about it, is gone.

Every day the voice gets softer and less frequent. Every day the pain and sorrow diminishes. Every day we care a little more for our own lives. And every day we come here to care for each other.

I love you all. Thank you for being part of my strength.

We're Free, We're Free At Last...Simply Liberating.

Starbaby928 02-27-2013 08:07 PM

Thank You Bunny!

Originally Posted by bunny44 (Post 3838850)
Good evening my friends!

Checking in here and thrilled at all the love. I have never been the cheerleader type, but dang, we are really great!

I see you. Each of you. You are afraid and alone. You are braving any excuse to have a 'normal' day. You are keeping your mind busy with work or chores or music or books or the sky! You are passing up on the bottle. You are choosing to be present in this moment because this moment, be it beautiful or painful or fearful, is the moment your life is starting. Really starting. No more hiding. No more secrets. Yes, there will be some things to set right. But the future is CLEAN. That terrible weight, that horrible waiting and planning to drink and to lie about it, is gone.

Every day the voice gets softer and less frequent. Every day the pain and sorrow diminishes. Every day we care a little more for our own lives. And every day we come here to care for each other.

I love you all. Thank you for being part of my strength.

This is nothing short of amazing. I'm going to put it in my "notes" on my phone so it's easy for me to grab later.

:You_Rock_

Starbaby928 02-27-2013 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Goose1 (Post 3839004)
Hey everyone - Welcome to all newcomers; Paddler, AshleyNickel, NLFM, Mvngon, Bizooky. Hope I didn't miss anyone. Wow, the "Love" month is really growing. One thing that got me to this point is the emotional and physical hangovers after my million and one binge drunks. And the cycle was always the same. I mean I could tell exactly what my mind and body was going to go through to the "T," day by day until I started to feel better. "This stuff is poison to me." So today was some of the same. I do some driving to service accounts. My thoughts are always pf future sobriety. Weeks, months and years down the road. It is somewhat frustrating that I don't enjoy my sobriety in the moment. Hopefully someday I will be able to live in the moment. Day 12...tomorrow with a 10 hour drive. Does anyone else experience the same?

I experience this... tomorrow will be my 7th day. They were thoughts that were especially present tonight as it was birthday night at the meeting I went to tonight & last night I went to a "double digits" meeting.

Tonight I was struck by how many people said work the steps... that they came to meetings and wanted to do everything but work the steps and that didn't work for them. The topic was also "time travel" as in would you like to go back & change your life... and many of them said not no but hell no... that the work & pain was worth every moment based upon how fully they experience life now.

This hit home for me & I cried in the meeting... I'm in that place now where I value being sober but it's emotionally crippling too. A woman looked at me & said... give it time. She urged me not to stop going to meetings or go back to drinking again until I gave it time. She has no idea who I am or how long I've been sober... so that resonated as well.

I feel like I'm rambling... and maybe over-analyzing things.

Dee74 02-27-2013 08:22 PM

I don;t think it's sobriety thats emotionally crippling - I think, if you're like me, you've been crippled that way for a while - we just never notice until we stop drinking.

You will recuperate and you will recover - but we can;t make it happen any faster than it does - which to those of us used to the instant gratification of drinking, can be a little rough and frustrating...

like the woman said - give it time, guys...things do change, believe me :)

D

Mirage74 02-27-2013 08:25 PM

It's great to read all these posts from newcomers. I'm on my second day (night) and I wanted to join the February group. Reading about how many of you are struggling too is helping, because otherwise I would be sitting here, watching TV, with the thought of drinking going round and round in my head. How many times I've said f it and just gone to the store. The mind is so powerful, when it wants me to drink, it will tell me anything just to give in.

This is really hard, I don't know if I'll get any sleep tonight. I got some exercise earlier and that helped some with the anxiety. Anyway, thanks for posting Feb people...

Starbaby928 02-27-2013 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 3839060)
I don;t think it's sobriety thats emotionally crippling - I think, if you're like me, you've been crippled that way for a while - we just never notice until we stop drinking.

You will recuperate and you will recover - but we can;t make it happen any faster than it does - which to those of us used to the instant gratification of drinking, can be a little rough and frustrating...

like the woman said - give it time, guys...things do change, believe me :)

D

I wholeheartedly agree with that. I know for a fact that alcohol has been a way for me not to deal for a long time. The wave of emotion right now is unpredictable & can be overwhelming.

BUT- I'm riding it. And I'm determined not to be here again. In the beginning stages of recovery I mean. Y'all are stuck with me on SR... lolz.

Night!
SB

Dee74 02-27-2013 08:32 PM

welcome mirage74 :)

D

bunny44 02-27-2013 08:49 PM

I'm glad I could be there for you Bizooky :)

All the new members, tell us how you feel. It is amazing to let it out. If you are scared your story is weird or too much, look back to the first part of this series when all of us 'oldtimers' were the new babies in sobriety- were sick and scared. Dee made a great Nanny. She drew out our stories and helped us learn to share and lean on each other and in that built our clan. Thank you so much for that Dee.

Now here we are, the sophomores of the month, urging you to do this. It gets better every single day. I know, today is my day 21!

bunny44 02-27-2013 08:52 PM

Sfms- you alluded before to something you couldn't talk about. And often about the fear. Do you feel you could share with us? It is all anonymous here and it may just lift some of the pressure. We promise to not fix you. But we listen really well :)

justme2013 02-27-2013 08:56 PM

Very proud of myself tonight, my friends. First outing tonight surrounded by drinkers. I was quite happy with my cranberry seltzers. My dinner companions polished off cocktails and bottles of wine. The waiter accidentally poured me a glass, which someone else gladly took on. Two weeks ago I would have outpaced them all, and they drank a lot. But I know I would have continued on into oblivion once I got home, by myself. Feels so good to be home now, with a cup of tea. And I'll feel great in the morning!
This forum provides exactly the kind of support I need, even though I mostly read. Thanks to you all! Have a good night.

Dee74 02-27-2013 08:59 PM

She drew out our stories and helped us learn to share and lean on each other and in that built our clan
Thanks Bunny but I'm a boy Dee, not a girl Dee lol :)

D

Rosie199 02-27-2013 10:22 PM

Hi all, I've been lurking around for awhile so I feel like I know you all. :)

I'm about to put day 3 to bed and I have to say, today was actually a little easier than yesterday. One day at time I guess. Slowly but surely, we can do this. Hugs!

noubledegative 02-27-2013 10:32 PM

Figured it's about time i got me an avatar!

Welcome to the newbies! :-) great to have more aboard.

Day 11 Sober for me (after 1 slip up after 14 days earlier in feb)

& day 6 of this nasty flu :(

Wish i'd get over it already! Sick of being home :/

Been out once & it was for my meet & great at my new job, figured i better not cancel on them twice...so i just went on Wed, was OK, went well i think, but couldn't wait to get home...and get back to bed.

But hey! I'd rather feel like this, then hungover.

Sorry not alot of interesting stuff to report!

hang in there :)
nd

Marksman 02-27-2013 10:52 PM

Yay,I made the class of February,tho the last time I was in school I used to wag a lot to drink with my mates.Hope this doesn't happen this time.Thanks for your wonderful support.

venuscat 02-27-2013 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 3837759)

D

Dee ~ I love your new signature!!! xx Venus :)

venuscat 02-27-2013 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by AshleyNickel (Post 3838322)
How do you join this group Class of Feb.?

you just did!!!

Welcome to our group!!!

Love Venus xx:) :welcome

fantail 02-27-2013 11:45 PM

2 weeks!

Just finishing up day 14. For some reason these numbers are really helpful to me... they make the feel like I'm making progress. I wake up in the morning and think "5.. 5..." or "14... 14..." I'm accomplishing very little else right now, so that number going up feels great.

Still feeling tired, dehydrated, foggy headed etc and dealing with lots of insomnia. But the days keep piling up and every day that passes feels like a step up the mountain.

venuscat 02-27-2013 11:49 PM

Hello everyone!

Don't think my fingers have anything left to give today LOL ~ but I made it through my first cleaning job. And I'm grumpy and tired and hungry....not a great combination for any of us. The good thing, is thanks to all of you, I'm not lonely.....I want to respond to so many of you, but just for today I'm going to give you all my love and say thank you so much for all of yours....

Day 25. So grateful to be sober. Food and a video or three....but I must admit, it scares me a little to see the angry Venus re-emerge, thought maybe she was gone. Mostly I am angry with myself; I made such a gigantic mess of my life. And I did that by ignoring this disease, pretending I didn't have it, when I knew full well that I did. Cunning, baffling, powerful.....yes indeedy!

Nowhere to go but forward, hoping that it really is true that one day I will not regret my past, nor wish to shut the door on it. But whatever happens, I will move forward with all of you, and we will find some serenity together.

:thanks :grouphug:

Love Venus xx :)

PS. I did a great job today, my client was really pleased....

melissa6381 02-27-2013 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by bunny44 (Post 3839089)
I'm glad I could be there for you Bizooky :)All the new members, tell us how you feel. It is amazing to let it out. If you are scared your story is weird or too much, look back to the first part of this series when all of us 'oldtimers' were the new babies in sobriety- were sick and scared.

Bunny- you are a beautiful person and this group would not be the same without you <3 <3 <3

melissa6381 02-28-2013 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by venuscat (Post 3839228)
PS. I did a great job today, my client was really pleased....

Of course you did! Awesome!!!!

I just came home from work all bent out of shape. We were super busy at the restaurant and I had to try and smooth over a coworkers mistakes for her because I am especially good at handling angry customers (but it takes a lot out of me!) I've been working in the food industry for 13 years now and always had my drink to soothe my frazzled nerves... honestly sometimes i wonder if sober me is cut out for this anymore. but no drinks tonight, tonight I have black bean burgers, cream soda and all of you xoxoxoxo. Feeling better just sitting here escaping into our little SR world. Love you all <3