SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   One Year and Over Club- Part 6 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/259925-one-year-over-club-part-6-a.html)

Manz 06-23-2012 09:33 PM

Hah. Changing........

as I type I am waiting for a hairdye to finish. I am going back to dark chesnut, which is my natural colour. I have not seen my hair natural since I was 14, and am now 41!!!! I have been growing the blond out, but have lost patience with the process so have gone the whole hog.

I have thought of it as a metaphor, these last few months, for refinding ME. Quite apt I would say.

Gee I hope I am not terrified by the end result of this colour....... watch this space. LOL

Dee74 06-23-2012 09:35 PM

:wall:

D

Manz 06-23-2012 11:15 PM

I am liking me a lot with the natural darker colour!!!!! Wooohooooooooooo...............the newer version of me.

Nighty nite all. :)

Dee74 06-23-2012 11:16 PM

good stuff Manz - get the blankets out tonight LOL

D

ReadyAndAble 06-23-2012 11:31 PM

I have thought of it as a metaphor, these last few months, for refinding ME. Quite apt I would say.
Totally! That's exactly how Guthrie was using the makeup and curls metaphor, I think. Personally speaking, the part about the bicycle tire hit closer to home, but hey that's just me... :)

instant 06-23-2012 11:38 PM

It does seem surprising the changes that are extra benefits that come with the sober life, when what I really wanted was some peace.

I feel like I am really getting it.

:Wburn

Itchy 06-24-2012 04:19 AM

"When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change."

Wayne Dyer

Manz 06-25-2012 01:20 AM

The only constant in life is change.

instant 06-25-2012 02:24 AM

It's nice to be able to adapt rather than squirm and complain

LDT 06-25-2012 05:17 AM

Good Morning Overs!

Feeling good and strong today, even though I had one of those dreadful nights in which I had " drinking dreams". GEEZ..... one would think they'd stop after this many months. Well, at least they are becoming fewer and fewer. This time, though, I was able to actually tell myself during the dream...."don't be alarmed, you know this isn't real."

Hey Manz....made courgette bread a few days ago and it was faulous!

Tippingpoint 06-25-2012 05:23 AM

Good morning and happy Monday!

I've been thinking about time lately...specifically sober time. Leading up to the one year mark I found that I was regularly thinking about putting up that number - counting down the days. It might just be the competitiveness that runs deep in me - gotta get to that finish line! But I think it was mostly my addictive voice. The AV loves anniversaries...especially the big ones. Now that the one year mark has come and gone I feel no such compulsion about time. I fully expect things to slowly change as I make my way through this year though and I will be ready for it.

In the meanwhile I will enjoy the peace and use this period of calm to work on myself.

Maybe I'll change my hair color like Manz! Ha!

Darren

Tippingpoint 06-25-2012 05:28 AM

I just read this great post from a fellow AVRT'r over in the secular connections forum. Freshstart has done a terrific job of explaining AVRT here in exceedingly simple terms...

I know when I was first poking about in AVRT I had a hard time getting my head around exactly what it was. I would have loved to have read this post then...would have cleared up everything for me!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post3459701

frances2011 06-25-2012 05:45 AM

Morning & Evening Overs--
I changed my hair color too! Friday, I had my greys covered up. Not a big difference, but a confidence boost for the three days of business meetings I have this week.

Another self-care step on the road to my best possible me. :)

Lovinsobriety3 06-25-2012 07:10 AM

Good Morning

Hello all. I'm a newbie on this website. I have about 14 months sober and I would love to connect with some others. I'm a single mom of 2 kids, but when I was looking for some online support groups-the moms' groups all seemed to involve alcohol, so I thought it was better to stick with the winners :) Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Rossy 06-25-2012 07:18 AM

Well done everybody. I am very close to cracking a year which I never thought I'd see.

frances2011 06-25-2012 07:34 AM

Welcome Lovinsobriety3 and Rossy!

Pull up a chair and make yourselves at home.

Love the idea of sticking with the winners.

:)

bryangt 06-25-2012 07:47 AM

What's with all the hair coloring?? Mine turns a bit lighter in the summer (I sometimes put a quirt of Sun In on it to get it started)...sure beats gray..I guess. I like what Tipping Point said about the next year being a 'slowly change' ...I have to learn to accept this. I struggle daily with life, but not with the obsession to drink thank God! I am not happy where I am at in my life as my last tangle with alcohol took soo much from me. My job, my drivers license and my freedom for awhile. I fell hard, and I feel like I am starting all over.
15 months sober, but still dragging around some baggage that will be with me for awhile. I find it hard to move forward at times knowing I can't drive for 9 more years. I try & be grateful for being alive & never physically harming anyone with my wreckless drunk driving episodes. I find serenity at the AA meetings I attend and sometimes with things I read. But this feeling a feeling 'stuck' won't go away. I guess I need to push a little harder, pray a little harder and work the program a little harder.
I often think a need to make a BIG change--like move, but it also seems like an overwhelming thought at times. I'm 54--live alone in a big home out in the country---miles away from people. My kids are grown and have lives of their own. My parents are struggling with their health and that makes me feel useless as I can't just jump in a car & drive 100 miles. I keep listening for my "Higher Power' to give me clues, but my mind is like a busy railroad station at times. Desperate thoughts enter my mind & I try chase them away. I just keep on trying to move forward and not go back to what got me here.

Tippingpoint 06-25-2012 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Lovinsobriety3 (Post 3459878)
Hello all. I'm a newbie on this website. I have about 14 months sober and I would love to connect with some others. I'm a single mom of 2 kids, but when I was looking for some online support groups-the moms' groups all seemed to involve alcohol, so I thought it was better to stick with the winners :) Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Welcome to the "Overs"! I've just recently cracked the year mark myself. There's a great group of people in this thread and you'll find a lot of support here. Please make yourself very much at home!

LotusBlossom 06-25-2012 11:55 AM

Wow...so much in the thread the last couple of days. I will have to go back and reread Itchy's posts a few times too. Like phew. Itchy. You are a wealth of knowledge.

Manz. I wish I was on your side of the world. We have so much in common. Logically...I know I have a lot that others wish they did. Emotionally...I'm a mess. Up and down. Mostly down. When I'm up...I'm higher than a kite. Then I crash. Big time. So fast. Snap of my fingers. It's the biggest hole too. And I get what is being said too. You can't find it in others. Hell, I've said that to other people. If you can't find in yourself what you need to complete you, how can you reasonably expect to find it in other people? How is that even fair? It isn't! I don't expect that. I am just sick of being so sad and miserable a lot of the time. People keep telling me to fake it. Eventually....
When does eventually get here? Seriously though, thanks for the discussion. I can't wait to go back and reread this a couple of times.

Anyways - I showed up at the Drs on Friday. I go to check in. She says "I...I don't see you on the schedule. Name and DOB?" I give it to her. She looks up at me. She says, "You don't have an appointment until July 24th. No wonder you're seeing a neurologist. Haha." Oh. Did I feel like a complete tool. No wonder I never got a phone call confirming my appointment. So...I get to suffer another month. I felt like a complete 'tard in the waiting room. Walked out of there and came back to work.

On another note, I have a phone interview tomorrow just before noon with another pretty big chemical manufacturing company that I applied for as well. So....at least I have a few things working. :). Papers were passed out at work today with raises on them. Want to guess who didn't get one? Me. I was the only one in the lab and the shipping department who didn't get one out of 13 people. It's been over 2 years since I've had one.

Seriously. I don't even feel like going to my book club meeting tonight. I feel like getting a freaking 12 pack, going home and obliterating myself, crying into my pillow.

I don't do that anymore, though.

I'll go to Panera, read the rest of my book, wait for my book club to start, then go home, cry myself to sleep into my pillow and then wake up for work tomorrow.

Hope you all have a nice one.

Welcome to the board, Lovinsobriety3 and Rossy.

Coming up on 18 months too. Sure doesn't feel like it. But it does. So weird.

LDT 06-25-2012 03:45 PM

"..No wonder you're seeing a neurologist"....are you kidding me LB? That woman must have flunked sensitivity training 101. Sorry you have to wait so much longer. YOU NEED AN APPOINTMENT.....and a raise!

Welcome LovingS and Rossy.....