SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of June 2011 Part 8 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/234690-class-june-2011-part-8-a.html)

Buelah 08-22-2011 11:23 AM

WiggleIn - I don't think it's necessarily easy for most. You are here, so there is an underlying reason why you want to obatin sobriety. There is no age to start this journey. And it probably won't happen overnight. There will be days that you feel you are being cheated of doing what every one else is doing, and days you want to scream because the urge is so strong, and that can lead you to say screw it, I'm drinking. But, that's what got us all here in the first place. We didn't know when to shut it down. Remember - starting this young, your body will thank you. Alcohol has a much worse effect on women than men...lucky us, eh? Not only do we get to feel like crap 5 days a month, but we have worse side effects from caffeine to booze. Do some reading on what alcohol does to our bodies, and you will be amazed. That was my main push. Health reasons and living lies to myself and others about how much I was drinking. Got tired of "hiding" it. Expect some bumps, emotionally, physically, and maybe some falls along the way. But, you won't be alone. It's okay to feel "confused" about this. But, don't ever think it's easy. Sobriety makes you feel good, and when you feel good, that is why it should be an "easy" decision to make when tempted.

Hugs.

Buelah 08-22-2011 11:24 AM

Grow balls...you'll make more money.

WiggleIn 08-22-2011 11:24 AM

That makes sense Tues, I guess I know I am not going to feel amazing right away. But why oh why, when I KNOW that drinking will not get me where I want in life, why do I do it anyway. I guess that is the definition of addiction.

And no need to apologize about your "ramble"! I have the same problem with typing out what I am thinking/feeling. Sometimes I think I should just keep it to myself but then all my thoughts get tangled -- even MORE. LOL.

Buelah 08-22-2011 11:24 AM

Wiggle and Tuesday - young brats!

Buelah 08-22-2011 11:25 AM

:rotfxko

WiggleIn 08-22-2011 11:28 AM

Haha, I feel like a brat right now. Like a whiny little brat: why can't this be eeeeeeeassy????!??! lol.

Tuesday24 08-22-2011 11:28 AM

lol Buelah. I FEEL like I am 90. That was one of my many motivations. I have had quite a drinking career 10 years of daily use. I can't expect to feel better right away. I guess I continue to seek the instant gratification that alcohol gave me

Tuesday24 08-22-2011 11:29 AM

lol Wiggle...see my instant gratification thoughts :rotfxko

WiggleIn 08-22-2011 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Buelah (Post 3079862)
WiggleIn - I don't think it's necessarily easy for most. You are here, so there is an underlying reason why you want to obatin sobriety. There is no age to start this journey. And it probably won't happen overnight. There will be days that you feel you are being cheated of doing what every one else is doing, and days you want to scream because the urge is so strong, and that can lead you to say screw it, I'm drinking. But, that's what got us all here in the first place. We didn't know when to shut it down. Remember - starting this young, your body will thank you. Alcohol has a much worse effect on women than men...lucky us, eh? Not only do we get to feel like crap 5 days a month, but we have worse side effects from caffeine to booze. Do some reading on what alcohol does to our bodies, and you will be amazed. That was my main push. Health reasons and living lies to myself and others about how much I was drinking. Got tired of "hiding" it. Expect some bumps, emotionally, physically, and maybe some falls along the way. But, you won't be alone. It's okay to feel "confused" about this. But, don't ever think it's easy. Sobriety makes you feel good, and when you feel good, that is why it should be an "easy" decision to make when tempted.

Hugs.

Thank you for this. I don't think I was expecting any bumps. I think I was thinking that if I want to be sober, well then I will be sober!!!! Not quite that easy. I'm gonna work hard to day, get a game plan for when I feel my body detaching from my mind and running to the booze with me just watching and yelling noooooooo! If I look insane right now, that is ok. I feel a little crazy!
:react

Buelah 08-22-2011 11:33 AM

Oh boy, isn't that the truth? Alcohol was an instant gratification - that is well said. Sobriety isn't as easy as just pouring a drink down your throat. Heck of a lot easier to face a difficult time with the beer goggles on - but the worst part is when we'd wake up sober, the problem was still there. An ugly, vicious circle. This takes time, doesn't it? Time to derstand all the changes we are going through. Therefore, it takes patience. Wiggle - if you haven't done so already, read some of the June thread's prior parts - when we were all hashing out the beginning stages, so much was brought up that we all could relate to. You're not confused....it just can be frustrating. That's why we are all here.

I'm gong to pull some weeds....nice day here - about 72 degrees and breezy - love it....bring on Fall and Winter, too!

Buelah 08-22-2011 11:34 AM

I think we all feel a little crazy through this. I know I talk to myself a lot more.

Buelah 08-22-2011 11:35 AM

Okay, I'm going outside, my typos are horrendous...what the heck is "derstand"....I think I forgot the "un".....

Squishyboots 08-22-2011 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Buelah (Post 3079865)
Grow balls...you'll make more money.

LOL Buelah - you just made my day!

Squishyboots 08-22-2011 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by WiggleIn (Post 3079866)
That makes sense Tues, I guess I know I am not going to feel amazing right away. But why oh why, when I KNOW that drinking will not get me where I want in life, why do I do it anyway. I guess that is the definition of addiction.

And no need to apologize about your "ramble"! I have the same problem with typing out what I am thinking/feeling. Sometimes I think I should just keep it to myself but then all my thoughts get tangled -- even MORE. LOL.

Wiggle I think that was my downfall this week. My hubby actually asked his mother if she thought we had a problem. WHY WOULD YOU ASK YOUR MOTHER!!! She doesn't freaking live with us? So my AV said AH HA - I just found an in. People don't think you have a problem. Well when you drink a 1/5 of vodka in a night that's a problem. DUH I'm done done done. Bring on the healthy and the cleanse. I don't care who in my family needs a drink - he can go do it on his own somewhere else.

How's that for rambling.....:headbange

Paddyb 08-22-2011 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Squishyboots (Post 3079905)
Wiggle I think that was my downfall this week. My hubby actually asked his mother if she thought we had a problem. WHY WOULD YOU ASK YOUR MOTHER!!! She doesn't freaking live with us? So my AV said AH HA - I just found an in. People don't think you have a problem. Well when you drink a 1/5 of vodka in a night that's a problem. DUH I'm done done done. Bring on the healthy and the cleanse. I don't care who in my family needs a drink - he can go do it on his own somewhere else.

How's that for rambling.....:headbange

SB what is a 1/5 in uk ~???

Squishyboots 08-22-2011 11:59 AM

Paddy - A lot ... :-) I believe its equal to 750 ml? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

What time is it over there right now? My husband was up at 1 am trying to buy a record from a london website that only sold 120 copies of this one album.

WiggleIn 08-22-2011 12:01 PM

I love all the rambles! And boy does it feel good to do! I am reading past June threads and feeling much better about where I am at, picking up some good tips on how to cope.

Oh, and I loooove eating healthy, but as for working out. UG! I am doing a 30 day at-home-workout-video and I can't even walk. Like forget about stairs, just plain ol traditional walking HURTS. But I really enjoy eating right. And I need to remember that alcohol is not a health food, doesn't belong in my diet.

Anyone know of something to help my poor muscles? I am supposed to "work through the pain"!!! NOT looking forward to it! I'm about to google tigers balm... I think that is what my sister was recommending...

....and I have always been too scared to try a cleanse.... I have read horror stories..... lol. Maybe if I hear about some positive stories I will try. Maybe.

Tuesday24 08-22-2011 12:03 PM

yea, Squishy 1/5th is a quart or 750mls... ask the expert

WiggleIn 08-22-2011 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Squishyboots (Post 3079920)
Paddy - A lot ... :-) I believe its equal to 750 ml? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

What time is it over there right now? My husband was up at 1 am trying to buy a record from a london website that only sold 120 copies of this one album.

Yep, I think a fifth is just over a 750 mL.... not sure though. But if that is right, then that was my problem too!! Sickening just to think about it.

Squishyboots 08-22-2011 12:10 PM

Wiggle and Tuesday - it is sick to think about it for sure. Tomorrow I will be posting that I drank 1/5 of tea today. :-) I like the sound of that better.