SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   August Sobriety 2009 Part 11 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/210152-august-sobriety-2009-part-11-a.html)

ANEWAUGUST 12-17-2010 08:16 AM

Thank you Zebra for those words of wisdom :)

Zebra1275 12-17-2010 12:50 PM

Your welcome ANEW, and now that I have a week off I'm sure I can come up with other pearls of wisdom. :01:

tallcactus 12-18-2010 10:52 PM

Hello Everyone,
Just checking in, doing well and of course still sober.
Truely thankful for all my blessing.
Happy holidays to all.

PS:KCL, been thinking of you, how about a shout out from you, so I'll know you are doing well?

Zebra1275 12-19-2010 06:40 AM

Thanks for checking in TC!

ANEWAUGUST 12-19-2010 02:15 PM

Hi there TC, glad to see you and to know you are still doing well!

I too am thinking of KC this holiday season!

Bdiddy...looks like you had a great party!

bdiddy5522 12-19-2010 04:00 PM

Hey everyone. Thanks for checking in TC. Glad you are well.

Yes Anew, the party was AWESOME! For those of you who don't know, I had my 30th birthday party. It was a joint party with my best friend. We turn 30 a day apart. We had about 40 friends there at a local sports bar/restaurant. We had a DJ and karaoke and partied until 2 AM. I can't believe I stayed up that late. haha. I think I was the only non-pregnant person not drinking. :) I had to turn down a few shots from people that STILL don't know I quit drinking. I just simply said "no thanks" and handed the shot to somebody else. I had a couple people ask me about not drinking. People that I had never met that were there for my friend. It is amazing how much people respect you for not drinking. I got "I wish I had your will power" etc. from those people that asked me about why I don't drink.

So I woke up at 9 this morning bright eyed and busy tailed, ready to rock. I just got back from the gym. I have decided to make my thirties my best decade ever, and I only have 2.5 months until we leave for St. Lucia with four other couples. I need to get in speedo shape. haha.

Have a great weekend everyone.

bdiddy5522 12-19-2010 04:02 PM

test.

I was trying to post a pic, but couldn't figure it out. If anyone knows how, let me know.

Zebra1275 12-19-2010 07:09 PM

bdiddy,

Posting a picture of your party would be great. (I think I'll pass on the Speedo shots though).

I chaired the men's group meeting again tonight, they keep handing me the stuff when I come in. I enjoy it, although I was a bit nervous tonight since my sponsor showed up, it's kinda like giving a book report in school just as the principal walks in. Since I have time off this week I'm going to hit more meetings than usual. What's everyone else doing to make sure they stay sober over the holidays?

bdiddy5522 12-20-2010 06:44 AM

I think that is a good idea to hit more meetings Zebra. The holidays can be difficult, and even though we may not drink it is important to maintain our serenity and happiness. Nothing worse than a "dry drunk" being pissed off around the holidays. We actually had an entire meeting last week about that exact thing. How to handle the holidays, sober. It was really good with some great insight.

As for what I am going to do to stay sober over the holidays? I am doing what you are doing Zebra. I usually hit 3 meetings/week. But this week I am going to hit an extra one. We usually have a couples Bible study on Monday nights, but we are not having it this week, so I am going to my Monday meeting tonight. I love this meeting, but don't hardly ever get there with Bible study on the same nights. So I will hit four meetings this week.

Tonight, my wife and daughter and I are going to drive around an look at Christmas lights. My two year old will LOVE it, so we are going to spend some family time tonight. Then after that, hit my meeting at 8.

It is snowing here right now. We are supposed to get 6+ inches by noon. It is so pretty though. I hope you all have a great week. Be kind to yourselves.

Zebra1275 12-20-2010 12:18 PM

I remember the day's of driving around an showing our kids Christmas lights. Enjoy it.

ANEWAUGUST 12-20-2010 01:34 PM

Hi all.

Bdiddy, enjoy the Christmas lights with Ruby. As Zebra mentioned, these times will pass. Embrace the simplicity of young children and their wonderment at Christmas, it puts everything in perspective.

I too am making my meetings, reading my daily meditations, and just remembering to keep it simple.

This year, my family and I sponsored an elderly man, rather then a child for Christmas. He comes from the poorest area of the state, and they held a party for young and old alike yesterday.

We were given a wish list of items to purchase. Other then cologne, everything he listed was a basic essential. A coat, socks, a blanket and underwear. As I was shopping, I had to look at the list again. For the size on underwear he listed L-Depends. At first I thought, we it just depends on boxers or briefs for the size. Then I realized he asked for adult depends.

It hit me like a slap in the face what this time of year is all about, and I realized, I am sober, happy and healthy. I have everything I need and then some.

Zebra1275 12-22-2010 05:39 AM

ANEW, good for you for sponsoring an elderly man. The underwear story brought a smile to my face but it is also sad. None of us know what the future holds for us so we must live in the moment and enjoy each day as it comes. I need to remind myself to do that every day.

bdiddy5522 12-22-2010 06:40 AM

That is a good idea Anew to sponsor and elderly person. And yes, the underwear story is pretty funny, but also an eye opener.

We went the kid route this year. I am guessing you guys have "Angel Trees" in your area? It is through the salvation army where you pick a card off the tree and buy gifts for that child. I picked a child the same age as our daughter. I can't imagine not having any gifts for my daughter. So if I can make someone's Christmas a little happier, I feel I need to do it.

ANEWAUGUST 12-22-2010 06:03 PM

Bdiddy, yes we have the Angel Tree here also. Usually, we sponsor two children in the foster care system and try to get them something they have asked for.

This year, I just felt the need to sponsor this man thru this program. My daughter volunteered and spent a week in the Black Belt at a day camp program our diocese sponsors. She told me it was a life changing experience. At 16, it really must have moved her to make a comment like that.

Oh everyone Bdiddy is the big 3-0 today!!!!!

Zebra1275 12-22-2010 07:37 PM

Oh everyone Bdiddy is the big 3-0 today!!!!!

Happy Birthday bdiddy, 30 is a great age to be sober at.

Dee74 12-22-2010 11:33 PM

Happy Bday bdiddy :)

I'm slipping out of town and out of the reach of the web for a few days so...have a great Xmas everyone :wave:
D

Zebra1275 12-23-2010 05:10 AM

:bday7

bdiddy5522 12-23-2010 07:09 AM

Thanks everyone. On to another decade. And you are right Zebra, 30 is a good age to be sober. Heck, isn't every age though? I am glad I am taking this journey with you all.

Merry Christmas to you all, and safe travels Dee.

bdiddy5522 12-24-2010 11:46 AM

Well, we are hitting the road here in a few minutes and probably wont check in for a couple days. Another 6 inches of snow last night could make travel interesting. Good thing for four wheel drive. I wish you all a very MERRY CHRISTMAS! Good weekend to be sober. :)

Hugs to you all.

Zebra1275 12-24-2010 04:03 PM

Hope you have safe travels bdiddy, we just returned from our annual visit to my mother's house. It's good to go, but also good to be back home in time for Santa. To everyone in the August group (including those that read but don't post on a regular basis) I wish you a very Merry Christmas. I continue to be amazed that a group of people who will probably never meet in real life, check in with each other on a regular basis and provide such encouragement and support. I'm not sure where my recovery would be without the August group, but I do know that I'm a better person today because I've been priveleged to be a part of it.