SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Recover or Complain? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/72725-recover-complain.html)

FriendofBill 10-03-2005 03:17 PM

Recover or Complain?

What is your purpose here on Sober Recovery?

Seems for a long time now most people seek to post expressing thier angry, frustration and resentment against the alcoholics in their life, and rejecting the help, suggestions and ideas others post.

So, what is it for you, to recover or to complain?

smoke gets in my eyes 10-03-2005 03:34 PM

Oh dear. You left MY group out. We're here to fix everyone else. ;)

Cynay 10-03-2005 03:46 PM

ROFL tooo funny smoke

For me its recovery..... and so I dont forget where I came from. A side benefit is that just maybe I can help someone else

When a newbie comes here and is hurting, angry and venting.... it soooo real for me, I remember feeling that way, I remember being out of control and insane. I dont ever want to go back there again, and reminding myself of where I came from keeps me humble.

Also so many stories I read here helped me not feel alone, I could see others going through it too... it kept me sane..... if I can do that for another.... what a great way to give back what I took when I needed it.

JennyK 10-03-2005 04:29 PM

How about a safe and non judgemental place to just express everything that comes along with having a relationship with an alcoholic?

ASpouse 10-03-2005 04:51 PM

Mine is to recover, every day.

FormerDoormat 10-03-2005 05:33 PM

I came here for recovery. I stay because I never want to live the way I used to live.

Pick-a-name 10-03-2005 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Dakoda
I'm here to learn how to recover, vent my frustration and yes, sometimes anger, ask questions, seek advice, offer hope to others and to always be reminded when a newbie comes along that we are ALL in different stages of recovery.

It's not uncommon for people to be horrified at the behavior of the alcoholics that they love. Sometimes in the beginning, all a newbie CAN do is vent because it's been building up for so long. This may be the ONLY place they can do so, safely! I'm so glad that people can do this here and I defend their right to do so.

We all have choices, and if we don't like what a particular person is posting about, we can choose not to respond, correct? :wink3:

Double that! ;)

Girlfriend 10-03-2005 05:59 PM

I'm here for recovery for being a codie.And, to give help to anyone looking for it from a RA's point of view.

There is gonna be alot of anger. There will also be alot of fear, frustration and sadness.....greif. Alcoholism or any addiction is not a happy topic.

BUT.....and that's a big BUT...there is hope and recovery and alot of people finding that and changing their lives SO much for the better.

We take what we can and leave the rest.

Savana 54 10-03-2005 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dakoda
I'm here to learn how to recover, vent my frustration and yes, sometimes anger, ask questions, seek advice, offer hope to others and to always be reminded when a newbie comes along that we are ALL in different stages of recovery.

It's not uncommon for people to be horrified at the behavior of the alcoholics that they love. Sometimes in the beginning, all a newbie CAN do is vent because it's been building up for so long. This may be the ONLY place they can do so, safely! I'm so glad that people can do this here and I defend their right to do so.

We all have choices, and if we don't like what a particular person is posting about, we can choose not to respond, correct? :wink3:

I'll triple that!!:wink3: And by not responding in a judgemental way.. Take what you like and LEAVE the rest!! Isn't that the saying in AA and Al-Anon??

Soul Catcher 10-03-2005 06:06 PM

I'm here for all of the above!

Dan 10-03-2005 06:08 PM

I'm here for the coffee.

Cazza 10-03-2005 06:11 PM

The purpose of this forum is stated as, "Are you a friend, family member or loved one of someone who is or may be alcoholic? Get support, help and information."

It does not say take the advice given to you or else get out.

People can come here, vent their frustrations and recieve support, and that is all it has to be. If someone chooses to take someone else's advice, that is his/her choice, not a requirement. Not all advice is helpful. We all the have the oppportunity to "take what we want and leave the rest."

;)

FormerDoormat 10-03-2005 06:11 PM

Coffee??? I'm here for the DONUTS!

cwohio 10-03-2005 06:40 PM

i'm here for feedback from those who are either many steps ahead of me or behind me - i seem to get something out of everyone's posting here.

i'll have a mocha coffee please with whipped cream! LOL

JennyK 10-03-2005 06:43 PM

I think there is a WHOLE big peice missing from this complain or recover questions...

Education.

If I was a first time poster on this site, I would NEVER even know that I had to recover from ANYTHING until I was educated with love and respect in a non judgemental and gentle way.

There are many folks here who do that well.

Thank you.

babeekj 10-03-2005 06:53 PM

I'm here for my sanity...I have met some d@mn good people here...and by the way I am also a friend of Bill :)

P. S.

Who else would put up with me ??????? :omfg:

StandingStrong 10-03-2005 07:07 PM

I came here seeking understanding. Seeking education of alcoholism and it's effects on those around them.
I came here to better myself - in essence, to begin my journey to recovery.
I've stayed because I've learned a lot, I've grown, and I continue to grow. I stay because of the members and what all this board offers me.
I really didn't post a lot when I first came here, I simply read. I remember one night in particular, I was reading a post written by someone on this board. I was reading with tears streaming down my face. I think that was the night that I knew I wasn't planning to leave anytime soon. That post hit me in the heart - it made me know that someone out there could totally relate to how I felt as I could've posted that very same post myself. It made me realize that I was not insane and losing my mind - It was just proof what alcoholism can do to those around the disease.
I continue to stay. Only now it's not all about me and what I can learn. It's about being there for someone else who may be able to relate to one of my posts or one of my thoughts. It's in giving support and also simply giving my presence. Being codependent and affected by alcoholism made me feel very much alone as I went through the years of denial, of hiding my real life from those around me, as I felt that no one really understood, etc. I hope that my presence here will make someone else not feel alone as I no longer feel alone.
And if that means that sometimes when I post my thoughts and my feelings, it comes out frustrated, angry, etc. well, I'm only human. And my thoughts are just that - mine. I would think that it's normal to be angry and bitter sometimes, resentful and hurt. And to express that pain, in my opinion, is only a step in recovery. To bottle it, to hide it, to lie and cover our feelings would not be recovery, it would be a lie and self defeating as well.
I'm here to grow - something I hope that I never stop doing.

gelfling 10-03-2005 07:36 PM

The purpose this board serves for me, other than to biTch, moan and groan is to give me the encouragement and drive it takes to continue on my path to recovery. Man, I've got to complain. No one else will listen. Probably because no one else understands what I'm going through. But primarily, this is my class of sweet knowledge and direction.