SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Exam question: The Thanks button (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/209898-exam-question-thanks-button.html)

Bolina 09-25-2010 04:59 PM

Here's a good example http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...on-slogan.html

I'm as guilty as anyone. I don't do the thanks thing (as you can tell I don't like it much) but I don't always contribute because I am away a lot and get sucked into the drama posts when I am back, so this is as much a reminder to myself as anything.

Keep it Simple is a key al-anon slogan. Anyone who has been to meetings regularly has discussed it or heard it discussed. So why all the thanks and no responses?

suki44883 09-25-2010 05:02 PM

And thank god I don't have any other boards to frequent, this one is enough of an obsession.

Understood, but, I have been an admin on that board longer than I have been a member here. :)

HealingWillCome 09-25-2010 05:07 PM

Maybe because it was offered as a resource and not as a request for ES&H?

Bolina 09-25-2010 05:11 PM

*shrugs*

it's just another post lost in the ether, really.

Dee74 09-25-2010 05:13 PM

Looks like you're on your own here Bolina.

I've been on a lot of forums...some have thanks, some don't....

I've been a daily contributor here for 4 years and a mod here for 18 months or so...my experience is people will always post if they have something to say, thanks or no thanks button.

I can spend all day here, and often have. The idea discussion is hindered here just does not match my experience, sorry.

D

Freedom1990 09-25-2010 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bolina (Post 2719587)
I have been observing for a few weeks and it seems that the posts with the most responses are the ones that feed into the drama

I can assure you that is not a phenomenon unique to SR, or even recovery boards in general.

I've been posting on internet forums since 1996, everything from biker forums to pet forums to recovery forums. Yes, the most responses seem to be the ones feeding into drama.

Why do you think reality tv shows are such a big hit these days? People love drama, no? :)

I can echo the sentiments of so many others who have already replied on this thread.

I don't always have something to say.

However, there isn't a day go by that I don't gain something from reading posts over here at SR.

I have learned from oldtimers, newcomers, and those in between.

I have been known to miss the lesson when I am busy 'hearing myself talk' instead of listening. :)

LexieCat 09-25-2010 05:17 PM

I'm just eternally grateful there isn't a "thumbs-down" button (I used to participate a bit on a forum that had one). Can you IMAGINE???

I love the "thanks" button--it keeps me from posting all those "what she said" posts. I run off at the keyboard too much as it is.

transformyself 09-25-2010 05:21 PM

I dunno, I get a lot of thanks and discussion on my recovery threads. We talk about boundaries, forgiveness. Lots of things. I"m happy with my interactions here with folks.

I wish I could understand what you're frustrated with, sorry we don't seem to be able to pinpoint it or help.

Bolina 09-25-2010 05:22 PM

Oh, I know that, Freedom. Everyone loves to have their opinion heard, myself included.

I guess I just love it when we get on to talking about expectations, detachment, boundaries, love, higher powers, enabling, al-anon slogans etc.

Why the reluctance to have an actual discussion about this stuff? "What she said" followed by a why that might be - why is that a problem?

I'm not frustrated, as such. I just know there is a wealth of experience out there that you all seem quite reticent to show, unless it is a topic with some drama in it. Why is that?

transformyself 09-25-2010 05:24 PM

So funny, perception. I was posting when you were and look how different our perceptions are. Not sure why.

LexieCat 09-25-2010 05:24 PM

Um,

There aren't actual discussions here??? Coulda fooled ME.

LucyA 09-25-2010 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bolina (Post 2719631)
You're all missing the point.

Thanking a post is easy. Thinking about it and posting a reply is helpful for the OP and formulates one's own thought process and helps analyse one's own situation. Even if you don't agree (in fact, that may be more important). I'm sure they have enough server space! And I don't mean wading into another person's situation and telling them what to do, although I know I have done (and still do) enough of that myself.

Was just running through the last few days threads, that's all.

Maybe we're all missing the point because we don't know what it is!
What does one little thanks click have to do with recovery?
Well to me when I was lacking confidence it meant the world! I really did come back to see if anyone had clicked thanks on one of my posts. So I guess it helped my personal recovery because when I saw thanks I saw someone who had read and perhaps been there, or perhaps was going through what I was and didn't feel up to posting about it.
That little click on the thanks button really did help me in my own peronal recovery, in some way it helped me realise that there was someone out there, sad, yeah, but that was way way back, now I've come a long way and now I know that sometimes people are sad, and of low self esteem and that thanks button may mean a whole lot to them. And you know what? even that isn't their fault.

Bolina 09-25-2010 05:31 PM

*shrugs again*

I'm not for a minute telling anyone what to do, I simply ask you to consider the merits of the thanks vs 5 mins of thinking of something to add to some posts and posting (not all, of course). If you don't feel inclined, that's fine, naturally.

Can no-one see that developing a thought beyond a single inciteful post is of merit?

Lucy - would a fuller post not have meant more?

HealingWillCome 09-25-2010 05:34 PM

I guess I just love it when we get on to talking about expectations, detachment, boundaries, love, higher powers, enabling, al-anon slogans etc.
This place is loaded with all of the above. That's why I'm here, reading every day. To learn.

The above is laced throughout all of the drama that I think you're referring to. And sometimes there is a thread started specifically about one of those things (or many other useful topics) but usually the heart of what you're talking about comes in the form of ES&H in response to someone's need.

There is another area devoted to step work and Al-Anon slogans, etc. Started not too long ago.

LucyA 09-25-2010 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bolina (Post 2719682)
*shrugs again*

I'm not for a minute telling anyone what to do, I simply ask you to consider the merits of the thanks vs 5 mins of thinking of something to add to some posts and posting (not all, of course). If you don't feel inclined, that's fine, naturally.

Can no-one see that developing a thought beyond a single inciteful post is of merit?

Lucy - would a fuller post not have meant more?

Sometimes there is a post on here that I really do appreciate, but at times it's dificult for me to post a reply to it, maybe because it triggers some kind of emotion or something, but whatever, it's difficult for me. I can express my appreciation via the thanks button though, so I do that rather than do nothing.
When a fuller post means more to me then I post one.

dollydo 09-25-2010 05:40 PM

I have learned that too much honesty and directness on my part causes too many problems here. So, with that said, many times "Thanks" seems like a good way for me to stay out of trouble.

Actually, for the most part, I think that there are many fine discussions on this board, some I participate in, some I do not.

Bolina 09-25-2010 05:40 PM

I appreciate that, Lucy. But that wasn't what your previous post was referring to. I asked if a fuller post to you would have meant more, rather than you posting to someone else.

LucyA 09-25-2010 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bolina (Post 2719691)
I appreciate that, Lucy. But that wasn't what your previous post was referring to. I asked if a fuller post to you would have meant more, rather than you posting to someone else.

No, thanks and knowing someone had read my post and bothered to click on the thanks button has been helpful many times to me, if only to let me know I wasn't alone. At the end of the day this is a free forum, not a counselling site. I've had lots of help from SR but I'm sensible enough to know I'm getting it, and far enough on in my own recovery to recognise it and be grateful for it.

Bolina 09-25-2010 07:06 PM

If you didn't have the thanks button, what would you do?

KerBearz 09-25-2010 07:10 PM

type "thanks"?!