SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   professional detox (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/390497-professional-detox.html)

Doubter 05-05-2016 01:07 AM

wasted money on detox

$4000 for a 10 day detox and im back on it. the cravings and withdrawal symptoms are back after just 6 days. 6 bloody days?

Dee74 05-05-2016 02:06 AM

I don't think you wasted your money - unless you mean something different by detox, all detox usually means is getting you through withdrawal safely.

If you're alive and well, detox did its job :)

If you want to learn how to live sober - and SR alone has not been enough - I really think you need to think about things like rehab, AA or another recovery group, or addiction counselling?

ALinNS 05-05-2016 02:27 AM

I assume while attending you received counseling, did you come up with a plan to stay sober before leaving? I know where I live it's a requirement prior to leaving.

Andrew

MIRecovery 05-05-2016 03:31 AM

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but while a 10 day detox is a good thing it is just the beginning of the road to recovery.

Make a plan, get support, and make systemic change in your life. These are the things that will keep you sober

Ananda 05-05-2016 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Doubter (Post 5939014)
$4000 for a 10 day detox and im back on it. the cravings and withdrawal symptoms are back after just 6 days. 6 bloody days?

I actually kind of get this. The advise others have given is right on track. Sometimes what they do in detox doesn't really lead to a real plan...depends on the place. Some truly are just money churners ... (although the staff usually does care).

Your anger and frustration are NOT without reason. That said, in the end, YOU are the only person who can change this. Even if you were the victim of a BS program .... you are the only person who can change the direction of your life.

Hopefully you only drank a short time. I suggest you try very hard to have someone stay with you a few days to just put a bit of pressure on yourself to not drink (even if it is the mom, sister or son you hate).

After a few days .... start looking at a plan you think will work for you. It doesn't matter what it is other than it NOT be the same as what you tried before (doing the same thing expecting different results). Look at what works what doesn't and suggestions.

As my councelor told me last week .... Having a plan only works if you follow through. So make a road map and follow through. If you misstep once .... get right back on the plan.

Please take care (hug)

tomsteve 05-05-2016 05:22 AM

doubter, detox is supposed to be only the beginning. its not a miracle cure whete after ten days you miraculously have symptoms of drinking and the craving gone.
detox is to help people get through the serious withdrawls that can be fatal, then its time for the real footwork to begin.
i remember hearing early on it can take a year or longer for all of theeffects of alcohol to be gone.
and dam greatful i did a lotta trudging and fighting the craving,compulsion, and obsession.

ScottFromWI 05-05-2016 05:55 AM

Lots of good advice here Doubter. It's not entirely clear to me - are you actually drinking again or just having cravings again?

doggonecarl 05-05-2016 06:33 AM

wasted money on detox

No, the money you're wasting is on drinking.

thewall 05-05-2016 06:51 AM

Detox is but a beginning. The idea is to get someone sober enough to start on a program of recovery. Without know what the particular detox you were in offered it is hard to make any judgment of it.

I can say that detox needs to be followed with a program for living a sober life or it will usually lead to a return to drinking.

CaseyW 05-05-2016 09:50 AM

Lot of great advice here. You're posting here on a message board devoted to sobriety and recovery (two very different things, by the way), that's a positive. You really don't have to drink anymore. One day, one minute at a time, lasting sobriety is possible for all of us with a little work on our parts. You can do this!

Aellyce 05-05-2016 10:03 AM

I understand the frustration about the "waste"... I would be similarly frustrated, I think. But the truth is, it cannot be undone now. So perhaps a good strategy is to create a solid plan of action and then follow up so that there won't be any more waste, either on repeated detoxes or drinking episodes? Prevention rather than more damage and damage repair.

advbike 05-05-2016 10:05 AM

Curious what kind of detox it was. Just medical supervision? Some prescription meds to alleviate symptoms? Vitamin therapy? Counseling?

The first 5-7 days are usually when the physical withdrawal symptoms are worse, in other words the alcohol is clearing your system. But you may still have strong cravings for up to 30 days. That's why most rehab facilities want people for a minimum of 30 days for alcohol, longer for drugs.

I would suggest getting to AA for support. It really will help.

AnvilheadII 05-05-2016 11:01 AM

sadly, cravings and withdrawals are things we have to learn to live thru SOBER for them ever to truly diminish and go away. detox is only the START.....after that comes a life time of learning to live without alcohol. i can't stress enough how important, vital, a support program is....and there are many flavors out there.

MIRecovery 05-06-2016 06:30 PM

If I told my wife I had only been unfaithful a few times in our marriage I don't think she would see it as an accomplishment

Dee74 05-06-2016 06:39 PM

Have you read through this link Doubter? No need to wait for anyone else to start working on your recovery :)

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

jseattle 05-06-2016 08:11 PM

I took Naltrexone. Helps a lot with cravings but did make me dizzy. The shot (30 days) is supposed to be easier to tolerate. I am also taking anabuse which helps a lot. Some AA purists don't support it but I will do whatever works.

The main thing that works though is to find support of non drinkers and have a plan each day not to drink.

uncorked 05-06-2016 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Doubter (Post 5935652)
Has anyone taken anti craving medication? I paid $4000 for a 10 day inpatient detox and lapsed for 5 days.

I can't believe it.

Hi Doubter, that 10-day stay was probably for detox only. You need to learn new thought and behavior patterns to help you stop drinking. Just getting detoxed won't do anything to prevent you from relapsing. What about outpatient rehab? I went to inpatient for 7 weeks, best thing I ever did. I realize not everyone can, but you need some kind of plan if you can't stay sober, whether it's counseling and medication, AA or other support groups, etc. Gotta retrain your brain!

Doubter 05-09-2016 05:14 AM

I new deep down that this is what I wanted but not with someone pressuring me to go detox.

It was my best friend who forced me to go. He kept sayin that im never gonna stop continuously. he kept ringing me up asking me if i had booked in, when i said no he said to me that i was full of ****. its my money, my life not his.

He rang me up after and said if you do relapse then you have to believe him when he says im never going to stop. and when i tell him its hard he says im making excuses. How dare he?

he was ringing me up at 7:am nearly every morning and still does. he won't leave me alone.

Doubter 05-09-2016 05:16 AM

Im already under a lot of pressures. dont need him saying these things at all

ScottFromWI 05-09-2016 06:29 AM

If you cannot block this person's calls I would call the police and request a restraining order for harassment. Your recovery is your choice, no one else should dictate how you go about it.