SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   What made you stop or consider stopping alcohol? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/350692-what-made-you-stop-consider-stopping-alcohol.html)

Sweettha 11-13-2014 09:32 PM

What made you stop or consider stopping alcohol?

I've had many downfalls as a result of drinking. I've been arrested multiple times, was suicidal,survived alcohol poisoning, and was physically abusive towards the people I love.

Through all the ups and downs my mother was there . It was only until she told me that she had given up and would no longer enable me. Some classic intervention **** actually saved me.

What was yours?

newlifecy 11-13-2014 09:43 PM

I didn't know I was going to stop. I was insane, no clear or reasonable thought was in my head when I literally ran out on my old life. I had started praying a month prior for God to remove everyone and everything that had anything to do with the hell I was in. One day I ran out of my apartment and drove off..........I didn't look back. That was 2 years ago today. It wasn't my doing at all, this sobriety of mine was all Gods plan.

Soberintexas007 11-13-2014 10:03 PM

I stopped because (1) my family confronted me about how awful I get when I drink which I don't remember because I blackout, and (2) the hangovers in the morning that were causing anxiety and depression.

Dee74 11-13-2014 10:55 PM

Welcome sweettha - glad you're here :)

I nearly died. That fear was enough to get me started.

D

lillyknitting 11-13-2014 10:55 PM

Sick & tired of feeling sick & tired. The booze actually stopped working for me years ago but I was so addicted I couldn't stop.

LeeJane 11-13-2014 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by lillyknitting (Post 5015687)
Sick & tired of feeling sick & tired. The booze actually stopped working for me years ago but I was so addicted I couldn't stop.

Thank you for sharing this, this was exactly how it was for me too.

MelindaFlowers 11-13-2014 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by lillyknitting (Post 5015687)

Same. I was either hungover, drunk or asleep. The hangovers were unbearable so I decided to stop drinking simply because I never want a hangover, ever, ever, again. The fun was totally gone too.

AlexThedude 11-14-2014 12:20 AM

most recently? waking up in a bush screaming at the neighbors after downing a bottle of rum and beating the crud out of my knuckles using the walls of my parent's house.

Alaskachick 11-14-2014 01:07 AM

My son. He admitted to me that he had developed a daily drinking habit that was affecting his relationship with his fiancée. After much soul searching I realized that I had some unhealthy drinking habits as well, and I decided to quit drinking so that I could be the sober role model that he needed. I initially quit because of him; however I now choose sobriety each and every day because it's the best thing that I can do for myself. In hindsight sobriety has made such an amazing difference in my life that I regret not doing it sooner.

439trish 11-14-2014 01:43 AM

for me it is at the point where my health is really on the line...I am not hurting anyone but me....but I would be in real trouble if I kept on sloshing down the beer until I couldn't take another drop....my insides cannot take it anymore.

pulltight 11-14-2014 03:19 AM

My stomach started hurting and that made me question my drinking habits.
Turns out, you can't drink like an idiot for 15 years without some repercussions.

Chillly 11-14-2014 03:27 AM

Went to E.R. for panic attack...left waiting room before being seen. went straight from hospital to the bar = 3 day bender

least 11-14-2014 03:35 AM

I was so tired of waking up feeling like hell and hating myself. :(

24hrsAday 11-14-2014 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by least (Post 5015932)
I was so tired of waking up feeling like hell and hating myself. :(

^ this AND i knew it was killing me. KNEW it for a FACT.

stephendu 11-14-2014 03:38 AM

I changed me.

Gilmer 11-14-2014 03:39 AM

I was ashamed of being a dead hypocrite--and I was under tremendous pressure from my family.

Tamerua 11-14-2014 03:42 AM

I had known for a while that I had a problem and I was just a miserable person. I had tried to quit a few times but to no avail. The I had a freakout, like a reality star diva night after a few too many at a Christmas party and that was it. I was done.

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery

Soberwolf 11-14-2014 03:51 AM

Admitting i was alcoholic

Trying constantly to get sober and stay sober kept landing on my arse

Woke up one morning and said enough and i stayed sober

Today i am 16 months sober

anattaboy 11-14-2014 04:06 AM

Looming death.

findingout 11-14-2014 05:08 AM

I was told I would no longer have a job if I continued to arrive at work in the morning half in the bag but I was unable to leave the house in the morning unless I drank first.

Rock => me <= Hard Place

(or if you are a Big Book fan

Scylla => me <= Charybdis

:) )