SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   One more go at it! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/325335-one-more-go.html)

kpatrick 03-09-2014 08:22 PM

One more go at it!

Hi. I have been on the newcomer's forum, but this is my first post here. I am an alcoholic. It's not that I drink in great volumes, but about 2-3 times a week I tend to sneak alcohol into the house and have anywhere from 2-4 drinks. Or I may have a drink or two if we go out to eat. To my knowledge my wife doesn't know I sneak alcohol, although occasionally she will ask me why I'm grumpy the next day.

I need to quit. I cant stand hangovers and I feel like alcohol controls my thinking. I recently went 3 weeks without drinking, but I convinced myself to start again. I would like the assistance of this forum to help me stay sober. I intend to make a daily entry for at least 3 months. That is my commitment. I intend to be completely honest..... that being said, if I miss more than two days in a row, that likely means I started again. :react

Is it best to keep replying to this post? or post a new topic each day?

Thanks! I am looking forward to having my life back!

Kpatrick

Dee74 03-09-2014 08:26 PM

Probably best to keep replying here - that way you can look back yourself and everyone knows whats what.

You'll find a lot of help and support here - but you may need to do more apart from daily posting.

Any ideas on what else are you going to do kpatrick?

D

kpatrick 03-09-2014 08:41 PM

Yes. I have some guided daily meditations I have committed to as well as some books on sobriety that I will be reading daily. I also have removed all alcohol from my house. I plan to give my wallet to my very supportive wife so I have no money to buy alcohol after work. I also have a friend who is a year and a half into recovery that is available for support.

Kpatrick

Dee74 03-09-2014 08:52 PM

Sounds like a solid start :)

D

watlow 03-09-2014 09:21 PM

If its okay could I be included in this post as well..I need added encouragement and support:) please and thank you
Watlow

KateL 03-10-2014 04:00 AM

Welcome Kpatrick xxxxxx

kpatrick 03-10-2014 03:41 PM

Okay! My second day!! No worries about drinking tonight. I usually start thinking about drinking toward the middle of the week and on the weekends. I feel very good about this. Watlow- how are things going? I am honored to share this post with you. Let's get through this!!

Hevyn 03-10-2014 03:43 PM

Hi kpatrick. :) Two days is wonderful. Proud of you.

Hope you're ok as well Watlow.

SoberLeigh 03-10-2014 04:25 PM

Welcome kpayrick and watlow. As you have already seen, all you have to do is post and people jump right in to help you.

watlow 03-10-2014 06:12 PM

I had to take an ethical route at work..in which I could have gotten away from now I may lose my job..didn't have anything to do with alcohol. two preschoolers got ahold of two of my cough drops..lead teacher said don't worry about it but I knew I could lose my job and now me and the boss are meeting tomorrow..scared

matt4x4 03-10-2014 07:32 PM

You are lucky that you get one more go at it. Except maybe you think that after this one, you will have another go at it. So on so forth.
Gamble away my friend.
This is a deadly disease that needs to be taken very seriously.

kpatrick 03-10-2014 08:30 PM

I totally agree matt4x4. I am taking this extremely seriously. This "one more go at it" is 100% effort and commitment. I am very grateful to have this opportunity. I have a wonderful family and an awesome career that really could have been wasted. I am blessed to be where I am. Alcohol can and will destroy everything if I ever walk down that path again. I appreciate your honesty.

kpatrick 03-11-2014 03:46 PM

Day three and I am absolutely sticking to the plan. I am starting to feel better and my concentration levels are improving!

Sudz No More 03-11-2014 05:25 PM

Perfect Kpatrick, stick to the plan.

kpatrick 03-12-2014 07:31 PM

Day 4 and still going strong! Thank you all for the awesome support. Watlow, how is your situation going?

Aarryckha 03-12-2014 07:38 PM

Congrats on Day 4! Way to stick with it!

myheartaches 03-12-2014 07:47 PM

well done

Originally Posted by kpatrick (Post 4518489)
Yes. I have some guided daily meditations I have committed to as well as some books on sobriety that I will be reading daily. I also have removed all alcohol from my house. I plan to give my wallet to my very supportive wife so I have no money to buy alcohol after work. I also have a friend who is a year and a half into recovery that is available for support.

Kpatrick

Good job on choosing better health, and for getting yourself clear and informed. I think you'll make it! :c011:

Keep reading and checking in and giving and getting input. It helps to read others' posts because there are so many layers to this disease. You may find yourself giving back what you receive.

myheartaches 03-12-2014 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by watlow (Post 4518534)
If its okay could I be included in this post as well..I need added encouragement and support:) please and thank you
Watlow

Sure, I'll check your posts. Feel free to open a dialogue with me if you wish.

kpatrick 03-13-2014 06:28 PM

Five days in a row! Thursdays are usually drinking evenings for me as I usually rationalize that I can make it through Friday with a hangover. Thankfully, I have not even been tempted. I took a long walk with my wife, did some calisthenics on a high bar and jumped rope instead of wasting time sneaking off into some dark corner to drink. I hope all is well with everyone on this forum also.

kpatrick

myheartaches 03-13-2014 07:08 PM

Yay! Good job!

Exercise is great for releasing stress and endorphins so actually helps us heal physically and emotionally, I think.