SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   AA - Not for everyone I guess (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/218133-aa-not-everyone-i-guess.html)

JOBL 01-19-2011 10:41 AM

AA - Not for everyone I guess

I dropped in on a AA meeting - my first ever accept for a few I had to attend in my teens to get rid of a minor in possesion charge. It was a strage experaince - I felt much worse after leaving than I did before hand. My experiance may be unusual but it seemed harsh for lack of a better term. I know poeple all have thier experiance with alcohol but it seems to me the best way to get over this addiction is to go head first right at it and focus on the good things and how to make life better. At this meeting it was nothing but doom and gloom - life sucks now / sucked in the past and always will suck seemd to be the general mood. :c029: after I left had more thoughts about drinking than I have had in the last 4 1/2 weeks.

Am I missing something or just not getting it?

24hrsAday 01-19-2011 10:54 AM

Hmm.. not sure about what kind of A.A. meeting it was. was it Open or Closed? it matters Much in My Experience Exactly which meeting you go to.. they are NOT all Equal to me.. JMHO..

JOBL 01-19-2011 10:58 AM

Well I guess it was an open meeting - I simply walked in and sat down. No one was rude to me or anything - it was just depressing experiance.

omegasupreme 01-19-2011 11:04 AM

As a member of the fellowship, I apologize for you landing in a dark tunnel meeting. That's how my first experience was too...except for this one knuckle head who said, "hey buddy, over here is where we normally go to meetings, why don't you come with us." He took me to Big Book thumping recoveryland. I didn't get sober right away, but I darn sure knew where to come running back to when I had been beaten into a reasonable state of submission. Please don't allow one pissing and moaning contest to ruin your chances of recovery. Scout out several meetings. After the meetings, head for the folks that share good positive powerful stuff and see where they normally go. Enjoy.

tomvlll 01-19-2011 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by JOBL (Post 2836469)
I dropped in on a AA meeting - my first ever accept for a few I had to attend in my teens to get rid of a minor in possesion charge. It was a strage experaince - I felt much worse after leaving than I did before hand. My experiance may be unusual but it seemed harsh for lack of a better term. I know poeple all have thier experiance with alcohol but it seems to me the best way to get over this addiction is to go head first right at it and focus on the good things and how to make life better. At this meeting it was nothing but doom and gloom - life sucks now / sucked in the past and always will suck seemd to be the general mood. :c029: after I left had more thoughts about drinking than I have had in the last 4 1/2 weeks.

How about both?

AA is quite clear on how to recover form alcoholism-it's the 12 Steps.
AA meetings will not do the trick.

If you went to the meeting expecting to hear some magical adivice on how to stay sober -it's no wonder you were disappointed. It's not likely any body could say such a thing.

That is, unless somebody raised their hand and said : "Hey for any newcomers in here looking to recover from alcoholism, I'd be willing to sponsor you if you are willing to do the program in the book Alcoholics Anonymous."

(Of course the above presumes you are an alcoholic.)

smacked 01-19-2011 11:27 AM

I would not judge an entire program or anything based off of one experience. And I would also say you're both missing something, and not getting it.. yet.

AA isn't about meetings, it's about working the steps and a spiritual awakening.

I don't use AA in my recovery, but there's lots of folks 'round here that do and can give you great advice.

THere are lots of ways to recover sobriety, and a new life in sobriety. AA just happens to be one of the ways some people find the support and guidance they need to do so.

Welcome!

JOBL 01-19-2011 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by tomvlll (Post 2836512)
How about both?

AA is quite clear on how to recover form alcoholism-it's the 12 Steps.
AA meetings will not do the trick.

If you went to the meeting expecting to hear some magical adivice on how to stay sober -it's no wonder you were disappointed. It's not likely any body could say such a thing.

That is, unless somebody raised their hand and said : "Hey for any newcomers in here looking to recover from alcoholism, I'd be willing to sponsor you if you are willing to do the program in the book Alcoholics Anonymous."

(Of course the above presumes you are an alcoholic.)

That was not what I was implying nor did I intend to speak badly about anyone there. I was just stating an observation that it was a deperssing situation. Mabey it was just a bad night for those folks - it just seems like being more posative would have a better effect on one's situation.

Again - I did not mean to speak out of place - was just an observation.

JOBL 01-19-2011 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by omegasupreme (Post 2836497)
As a member of the fellowship, I apologize for you landing in a dark tunnel meeting. That's how my first experience was too...except for this one knuckle head who said, "hey buddy, over here is where we normally go to meetings, why don't you come with us." He took me to Big Book thumping recoveryland. I didn't get sober right away, but I darn sure knew where to come running back to when I had been beaten into a reasonable state of submission. Please don't allow one pissing and moaning contest to ruin your chances of recovery. Scout out several meetings. After the meetings, head for the folks that share good positive powerful stuff and see where they normally go. Enjoy.

Thanks for the advice - I will likely try visit another one. So far I have found that just bing hones with my friends and letting it be known that I am fighting this has worked wonders

Mark75 01-19-2011 11:45 AM

I went to a meeting like that once... key word, once... Sick... Self Pity...

I like my home group... we talk about the solution. Lots of cool people there too...

didboi 01-19-2011 11:49 AM

Like everything, there are good and bad days. Some groups have off days. I would suggest going back again or trying a differnt group.

I have been to many differing meetings and some are fantatstic and some I found not so good. Saying that a buddy and me would go to the same meeting and think differently about the same meeting we had both just been too. :-)

I agree that you don't get better by meetings alone. I got better by doing the steps, talking regularly with other alcoholics, working with alcoholics, doing service AND attending meetings. I liken going to meetings like having dialaysis. It doesn't cure you b ut makes you feel better for it. And like dialysis I need it regularly 2-3 times a week. In stressful times and early days I was going far more frequently.

May your HP give all that you need.

Ramblin4hope 01-19-2011 12:04 PM

When you're ready with AA or not you will do what you have to do to get sober. Most don't do nothing, and die miserable

Lushwell 01-19-2011 12:12 PM

Some of it is our frame of mind, some of it is the meeting we went to. Try another. Last Friday night, my home group got into trouble after the meeting with the neighbors for being too loud and laughing. They ain't a glum lot. No.

Mighta been the illness talkin' to ya. I wouldn't be doing cartwheels if I was headed down death row, either. And that's what going to AA felt like to me.

My first few trips into the hallowed halls of AA were not high spots in my life. I wasn't on a winning streak, and I didn't go there to become a better citizen. My life was ****, had been for awhile, and all prospects looked like it could stay that way, or get worse. I was needing to decide if continued effort at this life thing was worth the pain I was going through. And there I sat listening to the doom and gloom of what they had been through and what demons lay ahead if they went back out. Looking around, I concluded that this was probably a good thing for these folks, as if most of them went back out and did just half of what they were babbling about, they would die due to old age and poor health. The rest of them had got there about a 12 pack too late, and where probably what I had heard called "wet brains". Not much left rattling around up there, if you know what I mean. It seemed these poor chumps could barely help themselves. I had some serious **** going on. It was as real as it gets. Nothing these AA's could do anything with. Different league. And two or three years slipped away.

One thing that was immensely different when I went back was the amount of pain I was experiencing. On fire. Bad enough that I was begging for their attention, begging for a way to make the nightmare stop. AA didn't change. I had. For the worse. I wasn't smart enough to shop around for a meeting that might be a bit more attractive. I concluded this wouldn't work for me. Nothing else was necessary. I'd never make it as a born again. Keep looking somewhere else.

Your illness won't be happy about going to AA. It will sabotage you at every turn. Give yourself a chance. Snoop around a bit, see if there isn't someplace where you might fit in. It wasn't like hanging out at "Cheers" when I began. Far from it. In time, I could show up, pour a cup, take a seat, and everybody knew my name. I became a part of, rather than apart from, when I said it was so. In AA, there's a seat for every ass. It's just a matter of finding it.

julez 01-19-2011 12:18 PM

Fortunately, the first meeting I went to was a good one. As a matter of fact, the first few were good ones. But, eventually, I came across a bad one, much like the one you described. If I had gone to THAT meeting, my first time, I may have stayed away. Basically, I've been to good meetings, and bad ones. Every one has taught me something. Keep going back. Go to different meetings. Find your niche.

Boleo 01-19-2011 12:36 PM

... At this meeting it was nothing but doom and gloom - life sucks now / sucked in the past and always will suck seemd to be the general mood.

I bolded "This Meeting" to point out that not all meetings are alike;

There are open discussion meetings (anything goes)
There are closed discussion meetings (alcoholics only - no drug talk)
There are lead discussion meetings - (only certain people speak)
There are Big Book meetings - (everyone reads)
There are Workshops - (one or two persons lecture)

The point that I am trying to make is, don't judge all of AA by just one meeting.

misamisa 01-19-2011 01:18 PM

As you say, AA isn't for everyone. You might want to try a couple more meetings before you decide but there are alternatives such as Rational Recovery, SMART Recovery, SOS, Women for Sobriety, My Way Out and many more. If you're interested in more information the Sober Recovery forum for Secular Alternatives is a good place to start. AA is not the only path open to you.

Zebra1275 01-19-2011 01:21 PM

Don't judge AA on the basis of one meeting. I went to a meeting last night that was the worst I have ever been to. In fact, two long time AA members (20 + years) actually left after a half hour, it was that bad. If that was my only AA experience I would have a very different view on AA. Fortunately, 95% of the meetings I go to are good and I always feel better when I leave.

cabledude 01-19-2011 01:25 PM

Aren't you glad it wasn't amazingly wonderful? All the meetings for the rest of your life would be a let down.

If being about depressed people makes you want to drink, I know of some bars to avoid. I think everyone there is triggering everyone else.

rws177 01-19-2011 01:28 PM

I was not in AA for my first 9 months of sobriety. With that said I was not "white knuckling it" by any means and happy with my growth as a young man mentally when I walked in there. My friend is big into AA and I figured what the hell it’s something to do with her so yeah.

Now I am actively in AA attending meetings, working the steps and talking with my sponsor daily, it’s made sobriety more of a priority and very beneficial to me for the long run. I’ll admit some meetings just plain suck and others are really gratifying so don’t dismiss AA after just one meeting.

It reminds me of jiujitsu really, some classes I walk in and we do something that I think is useless and wish I had stayed home that night. Then the next night we do some inverted arm-bar that really clicks with me and the way I fight so I’m glad I went.

NYCDoglvr 01-19-2011 01:42 PM

There's a saying...."nobody walks in these rooms singing Volari" ... lol. Early sobriety is the pits, my emotions all over the place. I certainly didn't go to AA because I wanted to, I went because I couldn't stay sober alone. It was go to AA or die. Yes, it's depressing to hear about the awful wreckage we alcoholics cause ourselves and others.

Perhaps you'll have no problem staying sober alone. Otherwise, I suggest making a commitment to making six meetings in six days.

But it's not about like, it's about staying alive.